The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Crossbreed Fail??

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
CrownRoyalEquestrian
Visit My Farm

Crossbreed Fail??

Post by CrownRoyalEquestrian »

So I was attempting to make a Latvian Riding Horse. Instead... I got the recipe for the Latvian Riding Horse. So I don't understand why it ISN'T a Latvian Riding Horse. The 'recipe' called for a Norfolk Trotter x Anglo-Arabian. My colt is now a Norfolk Trotter x Anglo-Arabian. I'm not sure what went wrong. How can a horse be exactly what makes a breed without being the breed?
Zalarisa
Visit My Farm

Re: Crossbreed Fail??

Post by Zalarisa »

I am not sure, I repeat, I am NOT sure at all, but I have heard that sometimes it takes a few tries to get a horse of a crossbreed to be the new breed. It may be due to "conformation" and/or randomness.
Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Baranduin Brewster »

CrownRoyalEquestrian wrote:So I was attempting to make a Latvian Riding Horse. Instead... I got the recipe for the Latvian Riding Horse. So I don't understand why it ISN'T a Latvian Riding Horse. The 'recipe' called for a Norfolk Trotter x Anglo-Arabian. My colt is now a Norfolk Trotter x Anglo-Arabian. I'm not sure what went wrong. How can a horse be exactly what makes a breed without being the breed?
You only have a chance to create a breed, it isn't 100%. If you didn't buy the book, to know the requirements, for a horse, then you might be getting even longer odds.
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Where the Best, Keeps Getting Better!
Eventing Account
Proud Breeder of: Walkaloosa & Sugarbush Draft
Farm Log, Training, Sales/Silent Auctions
Club Affiliations: Inhand Jumping Club & United Driving Breeders Club
CrownRoyalEquestrian
Visit My Farm

I bought a book, but I don't understand how evaluating a horse with it is going to tell me the requirements for the breed. I evaluated the Anglo-Arabian's I bred with, evaluated the Trotters. I thought I did everything textbook. That's going to drive me crazy. Latvian Riding Horse = Norfolk Trotter x Anglo-Arabian... my foal = Norfolk Trotter x Anglo-Arabian. Man what a waste of stud fees and time. :(
Geidim O'in
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Geidim O'in »

CrownRoyalEquestrian wrote:I bought a book, but I don't understand how evaluating a horse with it is going to tell me the requirements for the breed. I evaluated the Anglo-Arabian's I bred with, evaluated the Trotters. I thought I did everything textbook. That's going to drive me crazy. Latvian Riding Horse = Norfolk Trotter x Anglo-Arabian... my foal = Norfolk Trotter x Anglo-Arabian. Man what a waste of stud fees and time. :(
The book gives you better odds cause you can see how much the horse conforms to their breed standard, which means that horse will have a better chance of creating a new breed instead of a mix. That being said, it's still a roll of the dice.
But good news! Half breeds that didn't come out as the breed you wanted, can breed to each other with a chance of creating the breed you wanted! So keep the half breeds and breed 'em together (After evaluating them to see if they even match the breed standard at all, of course).

It's basically all down to luck.
CrownRoyalEquestrian
Visit My Farm

I guess if inbreeding isn't a thing! Thanks for all the info! I bought ALL the books now and I have a much bigger grasp. I bought the books to eval the foals. NOT the sires or the mares. But I know now! Sheesh this game is crazy (but absolutely amazing).
Geidim O'in
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Geidim O'in »

I'm happy to help~ Once you're over that learning curve, the game's insanely addicting.

And just a note on inbreeding:
Doesn't matter for the most part, but it can exaggerate certain features with each generation (Ear length, for example), make it harder to breed out certain genes (horse size is tied directly to lineage, so every generation it may be harder to keep your horses at a specific height), temperament is also tied to parentage(not super important unless you're planning to bring your horses into high level player made comps), and talent comes directly from the parents with occasionally the grand parents and great grand parents mixing things up.

Basically, it's tied to a lot of small, almost inconsequential things right now that more than likely won't bother you much unless you're super competitive about having the best comp horse or have a gene you really want out of your line like Greying.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:14 am

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:14 am