The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Tiny Clevelands and how to change them

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
Warband
Visit My Farm

Tiny Clevelands and how to change them

Post by Warband »

So everything was going swell. The Giant Clevelands existed in the 15HH, to 22HH and all was happy. Then one day A mini Cleveland showed up. After being rehomed and thought of as a fluke Babies #1-6 came along tiny as all snot.

So I am in a predicament. I want to Nix that Short stuff right in the horse rump before it continues.

The question is, How?

My COI is in the range of the 50%. Mostly known for the Giant Cleveland with blue eyes and randomly generated coat. How do I go about eliminating some of those tiny horses without destroying everything I built the COI around? As well as how to go about keeping the breed pure enough people would buy them still?

I have 3 options I am thinking about, and I'd like help trying to figure out which is the best course of action.

1) Just continue rehoming the tiny ones and only raising the 5* clevelands + Tall horses to eliminate smalls?
2) Add in a generation of one of the founding breeds to the cleveland in hopes to reduce COI, but also keeping it "purebred" by creation standards.
3) Give up and breed mini Clevelands along side my 5* clevelands and my Giant Clevelands?

Thanks!
(not sure if this goes in help, or general chat cause it is kinda both?)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Tiny Clevelands and how to change them

Post by BlackOak2 »

Warband wrote:So everything was going swell. The Giant Clevelands existed in the 15HH, to 22HH and all was happy. Then one day A mini Cleveland showed up. After being rehomed and thought of as a fluke Babies #1-6 came along tiny as all snot.

So I am in a predicament. I want to Nix that Short stuff right in the horse rump before it continues.

The question is, How?

My COI is in the range of the 50%. Mostly known for the Giant Cleveland with blue eyes and randomly generated coat. How do I go about eliminating some of those tiny horses without destroying everything I built the COI around? As well as how to go about keeping the breed pure enough people would buy them still?

I have 3 options I am thinking about, and I'd like help trying to figure out which is the best course of action.

1) Just continue rehoming the tiny ones and only raising the 5* clevelands + Tall horses to eliminate smalls?
2) Add in a generation of one of the founding breeds to the cleveland in hopes to reduce COI, but also keeping it "purebred" by creation standards.
3) Give up and breed mini Clevelands along side my 5* clevelands and my Giant Clevelands?

Thanks!
(not sure if this goes in help, or general chat cause it is kinda both?)

What I could suggest is track down which founding horse is most likely responsible for that short gene. Since you have a higher COI, what happened is that your founding 'short gene' horse passed it down and then you doubled up by inbreeding, so now you have mini horses showing up. Depending on how exactly the 'short gene' works, you'll either have to breed to your founding stock that doesn't have the short gene, to 'dilute' the gene, or just breed out to non-short gene carrying stock, also diluting that gene. If you're careful, you could eventually entirely breed-out that short gene.
This is assuming that height is determined similarly to mane, such as two recessive gives you long mane, one dominant gives you medium mane and two dominants give you short mane. I am also assuming the height is handled by multiple genes.
However... if it is not handled this way, then... I'm not sure. But the aforementioned suggestion may still work. Since we don't have random mutations added (not to my knowledge yet and not that I've heard so far, of course I could be wrong)... one or multiple of your founding horses is definitely carrying that mini horse gene.

Good Luck.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:31 am

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:31 am