The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Genetic Potential question

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
Kikary
Visit My Farm

Genetic Potential question

Post by Kikary »

What is exactly Genetic Potential used for?

I learned recently that for competitions conformation stats are more important even than breeders report and genetic potential.

So that leaves me with the question what is each one of them actually used for.

Does the genetic potential of a horse affect in breeding as in the parent with the highest genetic potential of the two has a higher chance of passing its conformation stats and/or breeders report stats?

I tried searching in the forum but havent found anything.
Does anyone have any idea or can they explain to me if they know?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Genetic Potential question

Post by BlackOak2 »

Kikary wrote:What is exactly Genetic Potential used for?

I learned recently that for competitions conformation stats are more important even than breeders report and genetic potential.

So that leaves me with the question what is each one of them actually used for.

Does the genetic potential of a horse affect in breeding as in the parent with the highest genetic potential of the two has a higher chance of passing its conformation stats and/or breeders report stats?

I tried searching in the forum but havent found anything.
Does anyone have any idea or can they explain to me if they know?
(Please note that I don't play as an upgraded part of the community... yet... so I haven't personally tried or took much notice to the conformation stats page.)

Genetic Potential... that number is a hard number offered by the horse for the genetic value he or she carries. A higher genetic potential does offer the foal a higher potential genetic value even than both of it's parents (even if the parents don't have a really great number. However, the breeding report can offer some insight into the ability to pass on better or worse genes. Some of it is trial and error; some horses have a better ability to pass on better genes and some worse.

The conformation stats page really is (arguably) most helpful for somebody purchasing for strictly competitions purposes rather than breeding purposes (as you already have determined). However, that conformation stats page can offer further insight into the genes that horse carries (for instance, it can determine how positive or how negative a specific gene a horse carries is; ...
As stated by larissar in the Understanding the Breeders Report and Conformation Evaluation:
- Conformation Evaluation values represent the conformation portion of the Breeders Report.
So if your horse has a great breeders report comment, and a poor conformation value, you can guess that the horse must then have very high natural genes to overcome the poor conformation and still end up with a great comment. However if the horse has poor natural genes then even a high conformation value won't help him because conformation doesn't actually ADD anything to the stat value. It can only subtract from the value. However these high conformation values can still be passed on to their foals.)

All that being said... there is a bit more to the genes on this game than what at first can be assumed. Such as, the better valued horse is not necessarily the horse that has the better chance of passing on it's better genes. And also, sometimes those really great looking horses have hidden within their genetic codes, some really poor genes.

What has been offered for insight into these is that, if we offer to breed to a horse that does great in all of his or her competitions and has thrown great foals from all types of mares or stallions then it can be assumed that this horse may have better and possibly stronger genes to pass on than perhaps another that has offered weaker competition performance and a larger diversity of not-so-great foals.

So you really can establish a line designed to do one thing, or look one way and carry strong genes to continue that legacy.

What does this come down to? It offers a lot of ways to get to an ideal horse or breed to each perspective player and also offers a lot of different ways to play the game successfully while also offering support for those who struggle or don't know which way to try.

I hope this helps you understand the differences between breeders report and the conformation stats page. If not, the above linked page may offer further insight for you.
Kikary
Visit My Farm

Re: Genetic Potential question

Post by Kikary »

thank you! it helped me very much!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:30 am

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:30 am