The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Does this game have inbreeding?

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
elizabeth1
Visit My Farm

Does this game have inbreeding?

Post by elizabeth1 »

I know this is a weird question but I just bread this foal http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/823432
The only reason I'm asking this is because when she was born she was 30inches tall.... not like the normal 10 hands that I get with every other foal. But her parents are brother and sister so I don't know if this game follows inbreeding or was it just something random? Any info would be amazing.
Horsey8866
Visit My Farm

Re: Does this game have inbreeding?

Post by Horsey8866 »

elizabeth1 wrote:I know this is a weird question but I just bread this foal http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/823432
The only reason I'm asking this is because when she was born she was 30inches tall.... not like the normal 10 hands that I get with every other foal. But her parents are brother and sister so I don't know if this game follows inbreeding or was it just something random? Any info would be amazing.
I'm not exactly sure. I have a lot of problems of accidentally breeding siblings or mothers to there kids or fathers to their kids and I haven't had this problem so I may be a one off kinda thing or I could maybe be lucky.
8arbeRouge
Visit My Farm

Post by 8arbeRouge »

Yes it does, your horse has 83% inbreeding, go to pedigree and see the COI, thats your incest factor. Some players proudly mention it in sales ads. they are so proud their horses has 100+% incest hahahaha
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

It isn't "incest" factor.... And the reason your horse is so small is because that's the genes it got from it's parents, no because of the degree of inbreeding.
Dreamwood13
Visit My Farm

Post by Dreamwood13 »

Supposedly COI is coefficient of Inbreeding. Now I have a question. If I were to start COMPLETELY from scratch, with 4 Foundation Arabian Stallions and 4 Foundation Arabian Mares, would I be able to basically create my own line, and gradually raise GP. It doesn't matter to me if it takes a long time. I just want to know if I can do it, and how effective it may/may not be.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Dreamwood13 wrote:Supposedly COI is coefficient of Inbreeding. Now I have a question. If I were to start COMPLETELY from scratch, with 4 Foundation Arabian Stallions and 4 Foundation Arabian Mares, would I be able to basically create my own line, and gradually raise GP. It doesn't matter to me if it takes a long time. I just want to know if I can do it, and how effective it may/may not be.
Of course you can. The great thing about this game, is the ability to achieve your goals, yourself. You do not need the other player bloodlines unless you want to breed with them.
It comes down to how much time you want to spend on something and what goal you want to get to.
Some gene traits will require you to out-breed for them. For instance, if you want metallic shine added to your Arabian herd, you'll need to add Turkmene to your program.

It just depends on which way you want to go.

COI does stand for the coefficient of inbreeding. But it is only an estimated number of how many traits are duplicated in its genetics from inbreeding. This can be very handy if you want to solidify a trait (for instance flaxen, since this trait is recessive). But it can also be a hindrance (for instance if you do not want flaxen in your herd).

As a final note, if you choose to do multiple goals at the same time, it will slow your program down drastically. Higher GP versus good conformation, or accurate conformation. Doing them both at once will take multiple generations (many months, depending on how quickly you play). But keeping one 'balanced' while increasing the other is a quicker strategy. Likewise, scraping one over the other could mean that you increase your time spent fixing the trashed goal later on. Perhaps, not necessarily true.
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Dreamwood13 wrote: COI does stand for the coefficient of inbreeding. But it is only an estimated number of how many traits are duplicated in its genetics from inbreeding. This can be very handy if you want to solidify a trait (for instance flaxen, since this trait is recessive). But it can also be a hindrance (for instance if you do not want flaxen in your herd).
COI has no influence on how fixed traits are, it is just an indicator of relatedness. You can have a COI of 10 or 100 and still have the same rate of flaxen/not-flaxen.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Argent wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
COI has no influence on how fixed traits are, it is just an indicator of relatedness. You can have a COI of 10 or 100 and still have the same rate of flaxen/not-flaxen.
That is not what I meant. It's much simpler then that Argent. And it was a simple-see example.
If you want flaxen in your herd and you have one mare that shows it, then breeding her offspring to one another (which each one will have one gene), will offer 50% chance of all of their offspring showing flaxen and 100% chance of all their offspring having at least one flaxen gene. Therefore injecting flaxen much quicker into the entire herd.
I used flaxen as an example because of it being recessive.

And you're right, COI doesn't have an influence on how fixed traits can be, but it can offer an indication of how many traits in that bloodline could be 'fixed' (i.e. harder or much more difficult to breed out of the herd).
Dreamwood13
Visit My Farm

Post by Dreamwood13 »

So how do I find the quickest and most efficient way of breeding a solid line of horses, preferably purebred Arabians, that are very successful in competitions of their discipline?
Fox13
Visit My Farm

Post by Fox13 »

Dreamwood13 wrote:So how do I find the quickest and most efficient way of breeding a solid line of horses, preferably purebred Arabians, that are very successful in competitions of their discipline?
The most efficient and quickest way is to find Arabians on the market or at stud that already excel in the discipline of your choice.
Either purchase these or breed to the stud.

If you want to start from scratch, get some AC arabians (or purchase some AC arabians from the market, it'll take some looking), train them up and see how they do in your preferred discipline.
Choose only the ones that do the best in that discipline to breed together. Keep breeding until you find an offspring (trained up) that does better than the parents. And so on.
Remember that certain disciplines are better suited to certain body styles. For instance, the very light arabian will find it much more difficult to successfully compete in the log pull competitions.

You have the option of keeping the line wholly pure (never have another breed in your arabian line) or just pure (there may be other breeds in the ancestors at some point). The good thing about this game is that you can breed back to purebred given a number of generations. So if you wanted to make a heavy pony type arabian, you can do so by crossing out to a belgian or a shetland.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:58 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:58 pm