The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

(Very) New to Breeding

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
Ocean Jasper
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

(Very) New to Breeding

Post by Ocean Jasper »

Hi kind and helpful people,

This is an incredibly complex game, and I'm loving it and it's driving me crazy.

I crossed an Arabian with a Turkmene, which in theory produces an Akhal-Teke. My foal is identified as Turkmene x Arabian [50%]. So I thought I should evaluate her as an Akhal-Teke and learn from that. Sadly, the book is giving me an error message (did someone say this could be a browser thing?)

Plus she has quite a positive breeder's report on the whole, but only one green. Is this tied to her overall genetic potential? (The Turkmene mare was straight from the adoption centre, so her foal has only about 50,000 HGP.)

Hang on - is it the sire and dam I need to evaluate? And this is where the stars come in?

OK, way too many questions. If I've missed a wiki that would help, please forgive. I just don't have my head around this yet.

Any help would be much appreciated...
Ricardo Ardo
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: (Very) New to Breeding

Post by Ricardo Ardo »

Ideally you want the sire and the dam to evaluate as Akal-Teke. in your case here the dam evaluates but the sire is too tall. Try finding a smaller Arabian Stallion. The stats ie: greens, golds has no bearing on whether or not you produce your required breed, thats all down to conformation.
I will also add that even if the pair do evaluate as Akal-Teke it's no guarantee that the foal will be, it's very much trial and error.
Ocean Jasper
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Ocean Jasper »

Let me make sure I understand: I know that the dam is "pure" Turkmene because I adopted her. But the sire (Arabian) will be carrying a certain amount of genes which are the same/similar to an Akhal-Teke. Or in this case, cannot produce an Akhal-Teke because one genetic attribute (size) is out of the ballpark. So I need to look at the main characteristics of an Akhal-Teke and ensure that both parents meet them. I assume this is what the book is for -- though I guess I'll have to do this from scratch since my book doesn't work...

Am I starting to get this? That it's not simply crossing one "breed" with another and automatically getting the breed you wanted -- that you have to try to look into each horse's underlying genome?
Ocean Jasper
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Ocean Jasper »

Oops -- and as you say at the end, it's still up in the air whether or not you get the foal you wanted.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Ocean Jasper wrote:
What do you mean by the book not working? What sort of error message are you getting?
Ocean Jasper
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Ocean Jasper »

It says: • Cannot find record 0 in table hwo_breed_data. So did the Arabian book I tried earlier. Has anyone else had this problem?
Ricardo Ardo
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Ricardo Ardo »

Ocean Jasper wrote:Let me make sure I understand: I know that the dam is "pure" Turkmene because I adopted her. But the sire (Arabian) will be carrying a certain amount of genes which are the same/similar to an Akhal-Teke. Or in this case, cannot produce an Akhal-Teke because one genetic attribute (size) is out of the ballpark. So I need to look at the main characteristics of an Akhal-Teke and ensure that both parents meet them. I assume this is what the book is for -- though I guess I'll have to do this from scratch since my book doesn't work...

Am I starting to get this? That it's not simply crossing one "breed" with another and automatically getting the breed you wanted -- that you have to try to look into each horse's underlying genome?
Yes, you're on the right track.
The evaluation has four parameters, Height, Build, Body size and Type.
to create an Akal-Teke it must be between 14.1 and 16.3 height, have a very light to light build, a body size of 0 to 29% and 100% to 78% Horse type.

Now it could be that two horses that meet that evaluation could produce a foal that doesn't. There is also the possibility that two horses that don't evaluate could produce a foal who does. If you do put two horses together who evaluate and the foal comes out as a cross, it doesn't mean that all foals will be crosses, you just have to keep trying with the same pair until you get your desired breed.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Ocean Jasper wrote:It says: • Cannot find record 0 in table hwo_breed_data. So did the Arabian book I tried earlier. Has anyone else had this problem?
Make sure you highlight the book and then evaluate. The game will not recognize that you have just one book. Highlight the book, then evaluate.

Otherwise, you're on the right track, as everybody was saying. The closer you get to perfect parents the greater chance you'll have, but it's only a chance.
Ocean Jasper
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Ocean Jasper »

BlackOak2, you are a genius! All I had to do was *highlight* the book and then the information there was very straightforwardly available. Thank you everyone -- I will keep on going from here with a lot more knowledge than I had before...!
Toadally
Visit My Farm

Post by Toadally »

Ocean Jasper wrote:BlackOak2, you are a genius! All I had to do was *highlight* the book and then the information there was very straightforwardly available. Thank you everyone -- I will keep on going from here with a lot more knowledge than I had before...!
You already have a better start to the game than I did 2 years ago , keep up the awesome work! :D
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:28 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:28 pm