Community Forum

The American Shetland

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
BananaDragonSide
Visit My Farm

The American Shetland

Post by BananaDragonSide »

-Breed Information-

(Taken From Wiki)

The first Shetland ponies for which there are written records were imported to the United States in 1885 by Eli Elliot. These ponies provided the foundation stock for the development of the American Shetland, and were crossed with ponies of other breeds, including the Hackney pony, Welsh pony, and Harness Show Pony. The breeding of the ponies was mainly centered in Indiana, Illinois and Iowa.

In 1888, the American Shetland Pony Club was formed and now has two studbooks: Division A and Division B. Division A registers ponies with 12.5% or less outcross (non-Shetland) blood, and Division B is open to any pony with 12.5% or more outcross blood. Foundation Certification is also available for ponies from 4 generations of Division A breeding. As of 2009 A and B designations are no longer on Registrations.

American Shetland Ponies are more refined than the traditional Shetland. They often have a long, thin, "hooky" neck, a more refined body, and longer legs. The breed tends to be long and narrow through the back, with broad and muscular hindquarters and high withers. The shoulder has good slope, allowing for extravagant action. These ponies are most often used for harness work and as children's ponies. They can be seen show jumping in classes for young riders, at horse shows in both Western and English riding classes, as well as many other competitive events, including gymkhana, novelty harness racing, and shown at halter, Costume.

The American Shetland Pony Club recognizes four types of Shetlands-Modern, Pleasure, Classic and Foundation. Modern Shetland are typically the tallest of the breed; they are shown with a high head set, ribbon braids in their manes, tail sets and have high stepping action. Pleasure ponies have similar breeding though their action is more subdued. Classic Shetlands are the most typical type and are known for their refinement and gentle nature while lacking most of the action of the Modern ponies. Finally, Foundation ponies do not have any Hackney influence for four generations and are all under 42" tall. Their looks are most reflective of their British ancestry.

However, the compact "classic" type of Shetland is still more prevalent in overall numbers in the USA, though such ponies are not always registered.

---HWO---

The main goal of this is to expand the number of Active American Shetlands.

-Breeders-

BananaDragon (Side Account) of Green Meadow Ranch

-Breeding-

The American Shetland is Bred by breeding [ Shetland Pony x Welsh Pony ] x Hackney Pony

There are quite a few steps to creating the Welsh Pony and Hackney Pony, so I'm using studs. In order to keep the American Shetlands at COI 0%, I will be trying to breed new Hackney Ponies as well.

-Studs-

----------------

-Active Population-

barley
Visit My Farm

Re: The American Shetland

Post by barley »

I tried to make the American Shetland, but it didn't work. I'm pretty sure I did everything right, too.
emorodeo
Visit My Farm

Post by emorodeo »

I'm tying to breed one now. my Shetland mare has been bred with a hackney pony. so now I'm waiting
Warband
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Warband »

BananaDragonSide wrote:-Breed Information-0
Banana, I would love to try and help with this. I always forget about the American Shetland. I've never been big on big and bushy, but I could so get into breeding American Shetlands.

What are you, or others looking for to have done? I age pretty rapidly so I could easily try and get a few generations going in something you guys need. I'm not much of a low COI breeder though as I like to keep certain characteristics consistent.

I've been wanting to breed and in hand jumper that wasn't a shetland. XD

W.B
BananaDragonSide
Visit My Farm

Post by BananaDragonSide »

Warband wrote:
BananaDragonSide wrote:-Breed Information-0
Banana, I would love to try and help with this. I always forget about the American Shetland. I've never been big on big and bushy, but I could so get into breeding American Shetlands.

What are you, or others looking for to have done? I age pretty rapidly so I could easily try and get a few generations going in something you guys need. I'm not much of a low COI breeder though as I like to keep certain characteristics consistent.

I've been wanting to breed and in hand jumper that wasn't a shetland. XD

W.B
At the moment, my only goal is to get one. Not sure about other people, however.
Majick
Visit My Farm

Post by Majick »

I have a Colt with a 3* for American shetland and he'll be up as soon as he's old enough. if any one is interested in him.

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/795158
ImpressiveInstant
Visit My Farm

Post by ImpressiveInstant »

Hi everyone.
I have only just recently embarked on the quest to breed the elusive American Shetland! So far I am only at the stage of breeding Shetland x Welsh ponies and then breeding that cross smaller and less heavy in body. So far the best Evaluation rating I have gotten is only 2. I'm not going to worry at all about COI at this stage, so everything will be horribly in-bred, but no big deal as this isn't an active part of the game yet.

Phable, if you are reading this, I'd love to get in touch with you!

I think if we all work together this will become much easier.
Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Baranduin Brewster »

I started working on these guys to add to my Mighty Mite collection, my only eventer so far

MFI Ima Cute N Cool ♂
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Where the Best, Keeps Getting Better!
Eventing Account
Proud Breeder of: Walkaloosa & Sugarbush Draft
Farm Log, Training, Sales/Silent Auctions
Club Affiliations: Inhand Jumping Club & United Driving Breeders Club
listerine
Visit My Farm

Post by listerine »

Nice