The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Suggestions For My Breeding Project?

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
ToiletWater13
Visit My Farm

Suggestions For My Breeding Project?

Post by ToiletWater13 »

I am trying to breed some Tarpans with a high body size percentage (40%+) to make it a little bit easier to breed Mongolians. I've been mixing with Grade Horses that have a higher percentage, and also with Shetland Ponies (as they have 80-100% Body Size), but I'm still getting mixes with relatively low percentages. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me on making this happen?
Fox13
Visit My Farm

Re: Suggestions For My Breeding Project?

Post by Fox13 »

ToiletWater13 wrote:I am trying to breed some Tarpans with a high body size percentage (40%+) to make it a little bit easier to breed Mongolians. I've been mixing with Grade Horses that have a higher percentage, and also with Shetland Ponies (as they have 80-100% Body Size), but I'm still getting mixes with relatively low percentages. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me on making this happen?
Perhaps your best bet is to find an already established line (of whatever breed), that favors throwing higher sizes. Sometimes the draft breeds favor throwing larger over smaller. Forest Horses seem (in my experience from AC stock) to favor throwing medium horse types.

But an established breed that you can look at the pedigree and actually see the offspring will give you deeper insight into what that line offers. A stud that has a lot of offspring from a lot of different mares should offer you what you need to see.
What you'll need to see is offspring that offers a higher body size than their dams. Even if the stud doesn't have a very high body size, what you're looking for is the tendency to offer higher sizes, not necessarily a horse that already has it. In essence, you want to force your line into leaning toward favoring larger body sizes.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:41 am

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:41 am