Community Forum

New Latvian Heavy Draft Project - NEED HELP!

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
DaringFlaring
Visit My Farm

New Latvian Heavy Draft Project - NEED HELP!

Post by DaringFlaring »

Latvian Heavy Draft

I'd just like to point out, that there are only about 2-3 LHD's in the whole of HWO.
So the creation of this breed seems simple, right? Ardennais x East Friesan. No, it isn't.
I've been looking through the pedigree of all my horses and some of the distant ancestors of one of them (I can't remember which one though) and a few of them were 'East Friesans'.
There are only 3 pure East Friesans up for stud and 1 for sale, so chances are to find one (unless you create one, but that will take forever) are quite slim unless you have $3,000.
The Ardennais, one of the oldest breeds of draft horse, and originates from the Ardennes area in Belgium, Luxembourg and France. They are heavy-boned with thick legs and are used for draft work, but they are slightly more common than the EF.
I rest my case really, because this is all I know about these breeds and I am not 100% sure if you will need to cross an Ardennais x East Friesan with another Ardennais x East Friesan. If I could have a litle more detail on this specific breed and find out a bit more about the Latvian Heavy Draft, I would be delighted.
Posted on: Thursday 18th January 2018 @ 14:56:43 pm GMT.
The horses I started this project with:
Bluno - Honey Roan Ardennais x Belgian Ardennais

and
Unnamed Horse #112977 - undetermined East Friesan

Many thanks, DaringFlaring.
Birdie3587
Visit My Farm

Re: New Latvian Heavy Draft Project - NEED HELP!

Post by Birdie3587 »

Hey there!

From what I could gather, the Latvian horse or Latviiskaya originated in Latvia. They came about by breeding Oldenburg, Hanoverian, and Holsteins with native horses in 1921. The breed is categorized in three types: draft, harness, and sport. As the desire for a lighter sport horse grew, the draft population became more rare. The traditional coat colors are chestnut, bay, and black, but I had no success in finding an actual breed registry to confirm this. It seems to not be a popular breed, so finding information is difficult. Also, breeding Ardennais x East Friesian will result in a Latvian Heavy Draft.

I will be willing to help you develope this breed! I will look into it more and keep you updated.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Re: New Latvian Heavy Draft Project - NEED HELP!

Post by Tjigra »

All that information about the real life Latvian Horse breed is only about half correct.
Latvian horse did originate from "breeding Oldenburg, Hanoverian, and Holsteins with native horses in 1921". The breed has two types - sport and draft. During early days both types were quite close to each other. Nowadays the types are much more distinct. Draft type horses are under protection of "genetic diversity" program of EU, they are to be bred to preserve the old lines with little to no outcross to other breeds. Sports horse type is a classic warmblood breed, open for crossbreeding with most other European warmbloods (and that is extensively done).
Latvian horses are big (most exceed 16hh), well natured (more true about draft variation these days), come in all solid colours (no spots or loud overo patterns, except sabino socks and face marks), almost no dilutions present (roan is rare, but present, there might be some dun, but I've never seen it in a horse that I know for sure is a registered Latvian; there have been a few rare lines of cream). Draft type is almost never grey; greys used to be rare in sports type as well (mostly a result from Thoroughbred crosses), but these days the gorgeous grey Holsteiners have made it much more frequent.
There is no such thing as "Latvian Heavy Draft" horse in real life. There is a population of horses, we call them "Latvian Ardennais", that are heavy draft in appearance. Most of the 20th century they were bred closely together with the regular draft type, but had more influence from all the different heavy draft horses found here at 1920-ties. They are a product of local horses bred to Ardennais, Swedish Ardennais, Belgian and other imported heavy draft stallions. They used to be a popular work horses in agriculture, but in the mid-century with the rise of the tractor power the numbers of the Latvian Ardennais were fast declining and by the end of the century there were only a handful of more or less purebred horses left. There is a program in place to preserve these horses, but as there is almost no stock left, many breeders consider this coming too late.
There are two organisations jointly running the Latvian horse studbook, http://www.lszaa.lv/ and http://www.lzb.lv/ (both seem to have their websites in Latvian only).
Some notable examples of Latvian sports horses are Ulla Salzgeber's Olympic champion Rusty, KS Coradina, who jumped in World Cup finals in Las Vegas a few years ago, international dressage Grand Prix horse Arlekino and many more.

To stay closer to original topic, here is one of the few licensed stallion of Latvian Ardennais aka Latvian Heavy Draft - Temors :)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:12 am

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:12 am