Community Forum

Gypsy Cob/Gypsy Vanner

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
Odeon
Visit My Farm

Gypsy Cob/Gypsy Vanner

Post by Odeon »

The Gypsy Cob
(Gypsy Vanner, Irish Tinker, Irish Cob, Traditional Cob)

My major goal in HWO is to produce traditional, "proper" Gypsy Cobs to the standard seen in the UK and abroad today, with particular focus on the smaller "wagon" type true cobs, rather than "stepping" Gypsies or the "Grand" style Gypsies often bred in the US. Along the way, I'm hoping to produce properly feathered, true-to-type parent breeds for the cobs (which should be a fun challenge!)

Gypsies are obtained through the following cross:
[Clydesdale x Dales] x [Friesian x Shire]

so,
Arabian x North African Barb ] x [ North African Barb x Forest Horse ] = West African Barb
[ Tarpan x Mongolian ] x [ Tarpan x West African Barb ] = Sorraia
West African Barb x Sorraia = Carthusian
[ Sorraia x Carthusian ] x [ Sorraia x West African Barb ] = Andalusian
Forest Horse x [Arabian x Andalusian] = Friesian
Forest Horse x [Belgian x Friesian] = Shire
Przewalski Horse x Tarpan = Exmoor Pony
Exmoor x [Exmoor x Friesian] = Galloway
[Friesian x Shire] x [Galloway x Belgian] = Clydesdale
Galloway x Friesian = Fell Pony
Fell Pony x Clydesdale = Dales Pony

[Clydesdale x Dales] x [Friesian x Shire] = GYPSY COB!

The Gypsy Cob is a truly versatile animal. Bred to pull the wagons of Romany people in the UK, they needed to be hardy, intelligent and powerful, but also docile enough to be handled by the entire family. They are incredibly patient, adaptable and trainable, making them perfect for a number of ridden and driven pursuits. They are kind and sensible horses, and should display a willing and intelligent disposition.

Gypsy Cobs should be strong, sturdy and powerful, with plenty of heart room and a deep girth to match. They should display ample bone, with a broad, compact body complete, powerful hindquarters and a well-muscled appearance. Additionally, they should display an abundance of mane, forelock, tail and leg hair known as feather.

Colours & Markings: All colours and markings are permitted. However, overo patterns and the champagne gene are not found in the Gypsy breed. However, pearl, cream dilutions, dun and silver all are, as are Tobiano, Sabino (SB1), Dominant White KIT Mutations (particularly W20) and Lp/PATN for appaloosa-marked cobs.

Head: Neat, small, sweet and noble, while always remaining in proportion to the body. Broad between the eyes. Eyes should be bright and alert, with a large "kind eye". Blue eyes are permitted.

Ears: Small and neat, slightly in-curving

Neck: Strong and slightly arched. Of medium length. It should be well muscled, and set on good sloping shoulders. Stallions should display a well-arched crest.

Shoulders: Should not be fine at the withers. Should be long and sloping and well laid.

Body: Short coupled and a strong back of good outline, muscular loins, good deep well sprung ribs, which are round from the shoulders to the flank. Plenty of depth from the wither to the girth. Chest must be good and wide.

Hindquarters: Deep, lengthy and powerful and displaying an apple shape. Second thighs well muscled and let down. Tail should be well set on.

Feet, Legs & Joints: Feet of good size, round and well formed, open at heels and well concaved. Pasterns to be nicely sloping and of a good length. Forelegs should be very well defined and muscular. Well defined flat broad knees. Plenty of bone below the knee (eight inches at least). Hocks should be well defined and not coarse. Canons should be short with clearly defined clean flat bone.

Mane, Tail & Feather: Gypsies should display a natural abundance of mail, tail and forelock hair. Feather should start from the back of the knee and hock joints and cover the entire hoof. Hair should be straight and silky, curly hair is less desirable and course hair is not desirable.

Movement: Clean, active, straight and true. Going forward on 'all fours' with tremendous energy. The knee and hock should be powerful with a 'workmanlike' action with hind legs flexed well under the body for powerful drive.

Height: A huge range of heights, depending on the purpose for which the cob was bred. "MIni" purepbred Gypsy Cobs can stand at as little as 9hh, and at the other end of the scale can be well in excess of 15hh. Most cobs stand between 13.0hh and 14.3hh.

xXxDruidxXx
Visit My Farm

Re: Gypsy Cob/Gypsy Vanner

Post by xXxDruidxXx »

Nice! If possible when you reach clydesdales could I buy a few or use for stud? :D I love Clydesdale
SeinaMacabre
Visit My Farm

Post by SeinaMacabre »

Looks like this will be my goal aswell C:
Dinkleberg
Visit My Farm

Post by Dinkleberg »

I really want Fresians, so if Anyone wants to team up and work with me on that, that would be wonderful! I would love Andalusian and Gypsies as well.
Sezzas
Visit My Farm

Post by Sezzas »

I need the same breeds up 'til Friesian ^u^
nynxwolf
Visit My Farm

Post by nynxwolf »

wow thats alot of work to do. were gonna have to work with the other breeder to get this horse.
Kintara
Visit My Farm

Post by Kintara »

I definitely want to breed Gypsy cob type horses although there is a lot of breeds there I guess I wouldn't have used in real life! I might initially try at breeding some feathered heavy pony types and see how I go. Does crossing other breeds get you a mixture of traits?
Darkness reigns 12
Visit My Farm

Post by Darkness reigns 12 »

I am currently working on getting the shire needed for this breed an I'm also working on thoroughbreds as well but I'm definitely looking forward to the Gypsy's :-) :-)
Odeon
Visit My Farm

Post by Odeon »

I'm back to working towards heavily feathered Shires as my first step towards my GCs following the great reset.
RilkaGreen2
Visit My Farm

Post by RilkaGreen2 »

I am working on shires as well, though my goal is black shires. I'm also working on strong drafts to breed strength into my Arabs on my other account, so please let me know if you have any culls from your programs with great strength. I'd be happy to take a couple for that.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:28 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:28 pm