Community Forum

Kabarda / Anglo-Kabarda

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
Alaina
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm

Kabarda / Anglo-Kabarda

Post by Alaina »

Information and Breeding

The Kabarda (also known as the Kabardin or Kabardinskaya) are a breed of mountain steppe horse bred by the mountain tribesmen of the Northern Caucasus in Russia. They are an extremely adaptable horse being well known for being highly intelligent, unbelievably hardy and extremely enduring. After World War II the breed was crossed with Arabians and English Thoroughbreds to create a bigger horse more similar to the Thoroughbred in conformation. This cross became the Anglo-Kabarda which is more suited to sporthorse events while still retaining the hardiness and endurance of the pure Kabarda.
The Kabardin horse, well–known since the 16th century, is one of Russia's "extreme" breeds, that is a horse meant for living under extreme conditions. The Kabardin thrives in the most difficult mountain terrain, at high altitudes, undeterred by snow and fast rivers. Temperamentally, it is a tractable and obedient animal, being both hardy and infinitely enduring.
It is safe to say that the Kabardin is the world's best mountain breed. - Horses of Russia
While they can be used competitively as sporthorses, Kabardas and Anglo-Kabardas will truly shine out on the trail as endurance mounts. They are known to do well on all terrains and in all weather.
The path to Kabardas is simple and straightforward. Crossing a Kabarda with an Anglo-Arabian will give you Anglo-Kabardas.
Kabarda = (Persian Arabian x Turkmene) x (Arabian x Mongolian)

Persian Arabian = (Caspian x Arabian) x Arabian

Mongolian = (Przewalski x Tarpan) x Tarpan

Anglo-Kabarda = Anglo-Arabian x Kabarda

Anglo-Arabian = (Arabian x Thoroughbred) x Thoroughbred

Thoroughbred = (Arabian x North African Barb) x (Akhal-Teke x Galloway)

Akhal-Teke = Arabian x Turkmene

Friesian = Forest Horse x (Arabian x Andalusian)

Andalusian = (Sorraia x Carthusian) x (Sorraia x West African Barb)

Sorraia = (Tarpan x Mongolian) x (Tarpan x West African Barb)

West African Barb = (Arabian x North African Barb) x (North African Barb x Forest Horse)

Carthusian = West African Barb x Sorraia

Galloway = Exmoor Pony x (Exmoor Pony x Friesian)

Exmoor Pony = Przewalski Horse x Tarpan
Conformation
a coat that is bay, black, or gray. They are a solid, cleanly built horse with a clean head, a well-muscled neck, medium-high withers, a deep chest, long, sloping shoulders, a short, solid back, and a muscular, slightly sloping croup. Their legs are correctly set, with clean, well-developed joints and hard hooves. The Kabardas' blood has a heightened oxidizing capacity, useful for work high in the mountains. The breed also is an easy keeper, that is, it has a tendency to accumulate fat quickly, which helps when the horses are exposed to extreme conditions on a regular basis, but can be a hardship for owners when the horses are kept stabled - Wikipedia
The Anglo-Kabarda is divided into three different types: "basic," "oriental" and "massive." Horses belonging to the basic type are of medium size with a well-shaped head and are well muscled; those of the oriental type are smaller and lighter, they have smaller heads with large expressive eyes and smaller ears and clean legs; the massive type are heavier and taller with a build similar to carriage horses. These horses usually stand between 15.2 and 16 hands (62 and 64 inches, 157 and 163 cm) tall. They have legs which are long and strong with well-developed joints giving them the speed of the Thoroughbred and the resistance of the Kabarda. The breed's temperament is considered spirited and energetic but very reliable. This breed is generally hardy, although due to the Thoroughbred blood, they may not necessarily be easy keepers and may require some supplemental nutrition. - Wikipedia
Breeders

Harakeke Heights run by Alaina

Stallions at Stud

None Currently

Specializing in Kaimanawa

LilyTromp
Visit My Farm

Re: Kabarda / Anglo-Kabarda

Post by LilyTromp »

I've just bred my first three Anglo-Kabarda's. I will be training them soon (when my current bunch is done). I'm hoping they will be good competitors.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:57 am

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:57 am