Community Forum

Arabians

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
Electron
Visit My Farm

Re: Arabians

Post by Electron »

Here's my problem:

I currently have two nice stallions who are of breeding age and who both have shown to compete well:

Eastern Fire

Eastern Ash

They are half brothers (Fire's father was accidentally bred to the mare I had picked out for Fire).

As things stand right now, Fire's stats/ performance record fits in more with my breeding program. However, Ash's confirmation looks a bit better to me and he is 98% type as opposed to Fire's 92%. Ash is also a full hand taller... and I think that he's quite a bit prettier.

So my dilemma is that I do not want to inbreed my horses (call me crazy), and I'm trying to eventually breed my two separate lines together (One from Desert War and one from Eastern Symphony). Any advice from my fellow Arab breeders as to who to keep around?

Something else to keep in mind is that I've got a lovely crop of fillies coming up, but 3/4 of them are out of Fire. I'd hate to rehome them, as they are quality competition horses, so I'd probably just keep the best two or three on my second account and show them and just not breed them. I was thinking about selling, but the market for Arabs is pretty saturated right now and I don't want them going to a home where they'll get trashed/ used as breeding machines for profit-foals.
nyraeia
Visit My Farm

Post by nyraeia »

Please keep in mind that this is just my personal opinion and style of playing, not necessarily the best for you:

It depends on if you breed out to horses from other players.

It's kind of nice for Arabian breeders because there's comparatively many players who are focused on the same breed.
At the moment there are some very talented studs up for stud.

So for me it wouldn't matter as much if a horse was worse stats-wise. I'd just try to breed it out to good studs. I've bred many horses on here and not all were very pretty. I can safely say I want to kick myself far more often when I get a good foal that inherits the "ugly" parent's physical traits than when I get a "pretty" foal that's not quite as talented.

I have some traits that bother me going on in my herd for generations now that are a pain to breed out. It's more difficult to breed out the donkey ears than the red stats.

That said, you already have some of Fire's foals so his genes are not lost.

You also sound like you like Ash better :P

But keep in mind that using studs will quite certainly make your COI go up.

If outbreeding was not an option, I'd probably keep Fire.
Electron
Visit My Farm

Post by Electron »

I'm trying to breed out as little as possible, and when I do breed out, its to obscure stallions on the last few stud pages. My main reason for doing this is so that many of the top stallions up for stud right now have upwards of 20 foals, meaning that in the future it will be hard to get a foal with a good pedigree that doesn't have one or more of those studs in its bloodlines.. So I'm basically waiting now in case I want to out cross later.

I actually like Fire better, as he is more reliable in shows, and he has thrown some nice foals, plus he comes descends from my first mare on the game, whereas Ash doesn't. I just realized last night that Ash has more of the Arabian "look".

At this point, I may keep Ash in stasis on my second account in case I feel like breeding back to him in a few generations.

Having quite a few Arabian breeders is nice, but also seems to flood the market with foals with 2 green stats that come from the same lines over and over again. A little frustrating for me, because my horses have yet to throw a green, but have all done well in competitions and all are well trained, but there just doesn't seem to be as much of a market for them. Then again, I'm just starting out, so its understandable that my lines aren't anywhere near as valuable.

Donkey ears? What are those? Any other confirmation traits I need to weed out/keep out?
Danika Diceman
Visit My Farm

Post by Danika Diceman »

Hello all! I'm currently looking for an Arabian stud to breed my mare to when she's open again!!
Must have a good Akhal-Teke evaluation (At least 2*) and be somewhere between 15 and 17 hands high. Colors other than chestnut and bay are preferred (Would prefer lighter colors such as palominos, greys, or buckskins) but I'll take any color if the horse fits my criteria. Must have no reds on their report, doesn't need to have greens although greens are preferable. A few appearance preferences (But none of these are must haves) are a sloping croup, a low set tail, and long mane and tail. It is preferable that he has sired an Akhal-Teke foal before but now necessary.
PM me or reply to this thread if you have a stallion who fits the bill, please include stud fee and a link to him in your reply!! I know that I'm asking for a quality stud so I'm willing to pay for it. Thanks in advance!
Electron
Visit My Farm

Post by Electron »

I just put a couple of horses up for sale if any of y'all are looking for new stock.

Currently trying to breed some strength and agility into my Arabs, and so far have managed to get some very nice Arabian x Shetland crosses out of those breedings, along with my current pride and joy:

WT Desert Shadow

Who is a 100% Arabian, has a green in stamina, and positive strength! :D

As always, if you see a stud you like who isn't up for stud, let me know. I may also loan out some of my mares eventually.
haltanny
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by haltanny »

I just joined, literally less than an hour ago, and I plan to breed strictly Arabians. My goat is to breed typy horses for cowhorse type events. I just got my first mare but I don't know how good she is yet. Still trying to figure out the game.
Birdsong Stables
Visit My Farm

Post by Birdsong Stables »

nyraeia wrote:I'd love to breed coloured Arabians (or actually Arabian mixes as dilutions are not acceptable). At the moment, I'm trying to breed out some faults in skills, mainly strength. For this goal, I'm trying out my half Arabian stallion Archeopteryx. If he produces acceptable foals, I'll put him up for stud.

My stallion Archetyp is already up.

The ultimate goal for me would be to breed diluted Arabians with white patterns and nice skills, but that's a long way to go.
Hi, I just wanted to let you know I'm also trying to start breeding dilutes and patterns, and I have a few full arab studs that are diluted, patterned or both. They also have at least two greens and no reds. let me know if you ever want to breed to them, and I'll let you breed to them for whatever you think is reasonable.
Aurora
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Aurora »

weeeh! Look at the little 7* lady I've bred!

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/300281

New Arab breeder here lol prous about my heard! :D
Aurora
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Aurora »

you know when you breed an all positive report Arab! You happy :D

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/302817
EllieJade
Visit My Farm

Post by EllieJade »

nyraeia wrote:So, I think I produced the first (or some of the first) Arabian foals with dilutions.

ImageImage

Both have nice breeding reports.
[NYR] Prideful seems to be a Red Dun while [NYR] Flora seems to be a Buckskin. So Dun and Cream, yay! I'm so very happy.

To further my goal and avoid inbreeding, I need lots and lots of Arabians, so I'm stalking the studs section daily. Not too much luck, though. Does anyone have good studs to offer?

edit:
I now have three :D
my Arabian stallion is a champion :)
Become a Patron!