The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Standardbred

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
Toxxii
Visit My Farm

Standardbred

Post by Toxxii »

The Standardbred is a breed of horse developed in the United States in the 19th century and is used primarily for harness racing, though in recent years they have become popular as pleasure mounts and endurance horses. Standardbreds tend to either trot or pace. Trotters' preferred racing gait is the trot, where the horses' legs move in diagonal pairs; when the right foreleg moves forward, so does the left hind leg, and vice versa. The pace is a two-beat lateral gait; pacers' forelegs move in unison with the hind legs on the same side. However, the breed also is able to perform other horse gaits, including the canter, though this gait is penalized in harness racing.

The Standardbred possesses considerable stamina and endurance. They closely resemble the Thoroughbred in appearance but are typically smaller and have longer and lower bodies, flatter ribs and heavier bones. Height and weight vary but average 15 to 16 hands and 900 to 1,000 pounds. Bay is the most common colour but brown, black, chestnut and gray are also found, as well in more recent years roan and pinto varieties.

The breed is quite good at jumping, making them suitable for the sport horse disciplines of hunt seat, show jumping, show hunter, and eventing. The breed is also seen in dressage, and their excellent temperaments make them good trail riding and ranch horses. In addition, because of the genetics of the breed, they can also be encouraged and trained to perform smooth ambling gaits, notably the rack and the stepping pace. The number of gaited Standardbreds is steadily growing in the United States, with some stud farms dedicated to breeding individuals with this characteristic. Standardbreds are also gaining popularity in Australia as endurance horses, from the 20 km social rides and 40 km training rides, up to the 80 km endurance rides. They are known for their strong and dense bones, suitable conformation and ability to maintain high trotting speeds for extended periods of time comfortably. The kind and manageable temperament of the breed also contributes to its popularity. These features are especially attractive to riders who do not wish to be competitive against the purpose-bred Arabian horses, which are often more difficult and competitive to ride.

Breeding the Standardbred will be a long and arduous journey before this breeding plan comes to fruition.

As at 12th August 2015, these are the breeds required to create a Standardbred.

Standardbred: [ThoroughbredxCanadian Pacer] x [MorganxNarragansett Pacer]

Canadian Pacer: Narragansett Pacer x Canadian Horse
Morgan: Thoroughbred x [ArabianxWelsh Cob]
Narragansett Pacer: Asturcon x [GallowayxSpanish Jennet]

Galloway: Exmoor Pony x [Exmoor PonyxFriesian]
Canadian Horse: [Norman CobxAndalusian] x [ArabianxBreton]
Welsh Cob: [Welsh Mountain PonyxHackney] x [Norfolk TrotterxSpanish Barb]
Asturcon: Sorraia x [Exmoor PonyxGarrano]

Breton: [ArdennaisxBoulonnais] x [Norfolk TrotterxPercheron]
Welsh Mountain Pony: [ThoroughbredxHackney] x [ArabianxExmoor Pony]
Hackney: [ArabianxNorfolk Trotter] x [Norfolk TrotterxThoroughbred]
Norfolk Trotter: [ThoroughbredxCleveland Bay] x Cleveland Bay
Spanish Barb: [Spanish JennetxWest African Barb] x [AndalusianxWest African Barb]
Garrano: Sorraia x [ArabianxSorraia]

Boulonnais: Spanish Barb x [ArabianxForest Horse]
Percheron: Norman Cob x [Forest HorsexBelgian]
Cleveland Bay: Thoroughbred x [ArabianxNorth African Barb]

The currently existing breeds required to breed the Standardbred are:
Tarpan [A]
Belgian [A]
Forest Horse [A]
Arabian [A]
North African Barb [A]
Akhal-Teke
Ardennais
Exmoor Pony
Carthusian
Mongolian
West African Barb
Sorraia
Norman Cob
Thoroughbred
Spanish Jennet
Friesian
Andalusian

If anyone would like to join me on this journey, it would be much appreciated!
Last edited by Toxxii on Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amortentia
Visit My Farm

Re: Standardbred

Post by Amortentia »

I'm breeding for Standards too! ^_^ (Along with Canadians.)
Toxxii
Visit My Farm

Post by Toxxii »

Yay, a Standardbred buddy!

I finally managed to breed a Norman Cob today! One teeny tiny step closer to Standardbred glory!
Amortentia
Visit My Farm

Post by Amortentia »

Whoo! Go you!

I'm still on my way to the West African Barb, as I haven't had a ton of time to play thus far. ;)
frighten
Visit My Farm

Post by frighten »

Hi guys! I've only started yesterday but am going to aim to breed the faithful standies as well. Might take me a while, there doesn't seem to be a lot of the goal breeds for sale so I'm starting from scratch!

I see there aren't any standardbreds registered yet, how close have you guys gotten over the months? Looks like a long haul ahead. :)
RilkaGreen
Visit My Farm

Post by RilkaGreen »

I'm not breeding for Standardbreds, but I do have some Garranos left over from my attempts to breed Miniatures. I'm using a few of them for my own project, but I'd be willing to sell the ones that don't make the cut and offer the boys as studs, if you are interested.
BlanketMonster
Visit My Farm

Post by BlanketMonster »

Well, I got some great news I just produced my first Canadian Horse, which was a filly ( :D!) and she's the 4th Canadian horse produced. I plan to breed her to a Narra to make a Canadian Pacer and, fingers crossed, produce a colt that I can set up for stub for anyone that would need one.

(F) Canadian| MayFlower

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/148003
Anne
Visit My Farm

Post by Anne »

I bred the first Standardbreds on the game today. :) Is anyone still interested in them? I'm going to be using them to make Tennessee Walkers, then I'll see about getting a few up for sale and stud. I won't be actively breeding Standardbreds, but I will hang onto a few so I can breed them for others. My Canadian Pacers and Canadian Horses, too.
BrokenOak
Visit My Farm

Post by BrokenOak »

I am very interested in starting a Standardbred line but I was waiting till the breed was further along.
I'd be interested in your rejects.
Anne
Visit My Farm

Post by Anne »

BrokenOak wrote:I am very interested in starting a Standardbred line but I was waiting till the breed was further along.
I'd be interested in your rejects.
I have a filly I could toss your way now, if you'd like. Her stats are pretty bad, though. If you'd rather wait, I just need to get a decent American Saddlebred x Standardbred colt and then I'll work on getting some that are a little less horrible.

This is her:

Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:55 am

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:55 am