The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Russian Don

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
Janga
Visit My Farm

Russian Don

Post by Janga »

[ Turkmene x Karabair ] x [ Anglo-Arabian x Karabakh ]

Some history:

Since the 14th century Cossacks settled on the Don river, at first as fugitives from serfdom, and then as defenders of the Crown against the hordes of nomads who were sweeping through the southern Russian steppes. A Cossack's survival depended on his horse. This explains the immense attention historically paid by the Don Cossacks to horse breeding.

In continuous skirmishes and raids Cossacks confronted light nomad horsemen, and so the Cossacks had to have, besides their mastery of all the steppe martial arts (see Jighitovka), equine companions that were more than a match to the mounts of their steppe opponents.

The early Don horse was a product of evolution, rather than cultured breeding. The initial stock for the Dons were the semi–wild horses of the Russian steppe. It is quite possible that Tarpans left their mark on the Don.

Cossacks would also bring from their raids horses of Oriental origin, such as Karabakh, Turkmenian, and Persian.

The early development produced a good steppe steed. It was a medium–sized, rangy, agile and brave horse of staggering endurance and vitality. It was again a product of the survival–of–the–fittest and primitive selection, so common with most of Russian breeds — thousands of horses were lost in raids through waterless and grassless steppes and deserts.

A product of the centuries, the steed came to be known as the Old Don horse, which laid the foundation for the current Don breed. In later centuries the Don breed was upgraded using Orlov and Orlov–Rostopchin sires, and yet later Thoroughbreds.

In the latter half of the 19th century Dons were in great demand. And so private Don breeders began to produce Dons as remounts for the entire Russian army. They bred for height, conformation, stamina, and impressive chestnut color with a golden sheen. As the Dons were gaining popularity abroad, more and more of them were exported, mostly via Hungary.

The latest period in the history of the Don breed began in 1920, when what little remained of the stock after the First World War and the Civil War was carefully assembled at several military studs organized in 1921. Some Dons remained with the Cossack population. The stock was restored fairly quickly.

Historically, the Dons have been renowned for their stunning stamina. Along with other Russian breeds, such as the Kabardins and Bashkirs, they surpassed the best European breeds.

In the last war Russian cavalry corps mounted on Dons and Budennys used to cover huge distances under most unfavorable weather conditions, sometimes unshod, and almost always without adequate food and rest.

[ Turkmene x Karabair ] x [ Anglo-Arabian x Karabakh ]

Harases: Gold of Don steppes - no horses at this moment.

Anyone wants to join?
Qim
Visit My Farm

Re: Russian Don

Post by Qim »

Janga wrote:Anyone wants to join?
Just checking if someone's still actively breeding toward the Russian Don; I recently jumped onto the canoe.
Yep.
Golden Lotus Stables
Visit My Farm

Post by Golden Lotus Stables »

I bred a line of Russian don's and sticking to them, originally attemped for Budyonny but got frustrated, so I'm crossing mu Russian dons to better stats
Qim
Visit My Farm

Post by Qim »

Yeah, been seeing your Dons aplenty; seem to do good for ya.
You reckon the majority of the Don population is in your possession? I only got a handful of em lying around.
Golden Lotus Stables
Visit My Farm

Qim, thanks lol.I have few up for stud, welcome to use them.I have a small number as of right now of Don's since a lot are crossed, but few are kept to Don so to breed them into my line of crossings
Golden Lotus Stables
Visit My Farm

im sure over time lots will turn into pure lines once again, then I will still work on better them
GracelynB5
Visit My Farm

Post by GracelynB5 »

Qim wrote:Yeah, been seeing your Dons aplenty; seem to do good for ya.
You reckon the majority of the Don population is in your possession? I only got a handful of em lying around.
Hello,

I was wondering if you have any of these horses for sale.

-Mare/filly Russian Don
-Mare/filly Anglo Arabian
-Stallion/colt Karabakh Horse

I'm willing to pay around 1k-10k for one of them.

Thanks!! :)
Jessi2
Visit My Farm

Post by Jessi2 »

Love your history write up and pics !!!!!!!
Qim
Visit My Farm

Post by Qim »

GracelynB5 wrote:... I was wondering if you have any of these horses for sale.

-Mare/filly Russian Don
-Stallion/colt Karabakh Horse ...
Got no Anglo Arabs, but I could breed the Don and Karabakh foals you need -- just have to free up some space first. Let me know if you're interested, eh.
GracelynB5
Visit My Farm

Post by GracelynB5 »

Qim wrote:
GracelynB5 wrote:... I was wondering if you have any of these horses for sale.

-Mare/filly Russian Don
-Stallion/colt Karabakh Horse ...
Got no Anglo Arabs, but I could breed the Don and Karabakh foals you need -- just have to free up some space first. Let me know if you're interested, eh.
Thank you very much!
If you have any russian dons or filly/mare karabakhs that would be great.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:40 am

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:40 am