Community Forum

Finnish Draft/Finnish Universal

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
Kentela
Visit My Farm

Re: Finnish Draft/Finnish Universal

Post by Kentela »

Thank you! :)
Lakewood
Visit My Farm

Post by Lakewood »

You're welcome :)
Lakewood
Visit My Farm

Post by Lakewood »

I'm glad to announce that I've managed to breed my very first Finnish Universal thanks to the many Oldenburgs offering their service. Kind of lost interest in this game for couple of months because I couldn't get any further, but I'm glad to be back and I think I'm going to try to breed more harness racing breeds, first focusing on Scandinavian cold bloods
RoyalEquine
Visit My Farm

Post by RoyalEquine »

So, since this post should be informative, here is something about finnhorses.

Finnish Universal/Finnhorse
In English it is sometimes called the Finnish Universal, as the Finns consider the breed capable of fulfilling all of Finland's horse needs, including agricultural and forestry work, harness racing, and riding. In 2007, the breed was declared the official national horse breed of Finland.

There are four separate sections within the Finnhorse stud book, each with different goals: to develop a heavier working horse, a lighter trotter type, a versatile riding horse, and a proportionally smaller pony-sized animal. The combined breed standard for all four sections defines the breed as a strong, versatile horse with pleasant disposition. The average height of the breed is 15.1 hands (61 inches, 155 cm), and the most typical colour is chestnut, often with white markings and a flaxen mane and tail. (The studbook was created in 1907, In 1924, the first split in the stud book was created(draft) and In 1965, this all-around section was renamed the trotter section. )

This game only has two of them: a versatile riding horse and a heavier draft like horse.
The ideal Finnhorse is easy to handle, has strength, agility and speed.

Finnish Draft
Finnish Draft is the oldest of the four lines. Though it's the oldest, it's the rarest of the four lines. Most of the Finnhorses are trotters. The Finnish Draft type is stronger than many larger draft breeds. An average horse in draft work is capable of pulling about 80 percent of its own weight, while a Finnhorse can pull as much as 110 percent. In work horse competitions, the best Finnhorses can achieve even higher results, pulling more than 200 percent of their own body weight.

I have personally met and ridden Finnish Universals and Finnish Draft horses. They are horses with soft hearts and heavy steps. They love to eat bread, and they are bombproof. They are not afraid, they don't get scared by shadows and they are good for theraphy riding.
The oldest Finnhorse I have met was 32. He had been a trotter, A work horse, therapist and a riding horse.
He was amazing. May he rest in peace<3

If you want to know more about finnhorses, check out wikipedia and https://suomenhevosliitto.fi/in-english/
http://www.hippos.fi/hippos/muut/in_eng ... _finnhorse
PP Farms
Visit My Farm

Post by PP Farms »

Might be for stud if anyone is interested
and might eventualy be for sale:

and

Ealesi
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Ealesi »

If you still have the Universal, I'd love to use as a stud for a filly and a colt. Trying to help repop the breed as a side project
Ealesi
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Ealesi »

I have a ton of Finnish Universals. COI is higher, however I've gotten many at least one gold stat. I'm willing to sell some of my project lines I don't need if it would help expand the breed.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:37 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:37 pm