The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Connemara

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
Dreamer98
Visit My Farm

Connemara

Post by Dreamer98 »

Hi, I have decided to breed Connemaras :D It's gonna be a bit of a long project but it should be a fun one.

Here is a list of the breeds needed to create a Connemara:
Ancient breeds Arabian, Turkmene, Tarpan, North African Barb, Forest Horse, and Preswalski
Akel-Teke [Arabian x Turkmene]
Exmore Pony [Preswalski Horse x Tarpan]
Mongolian [Preswalski Horse x Tarpan] X [Tarpan]
West African Barb [Arabian x North African Barb] X [North African Barb x Forest Horse]
Sorria [Tarpan x Mongolian] X [Tarpan x West African Barb]
Spanish Jennet [Arabian x Sorria] X [North African Barb]
Carthusian [West African Barb X Sorria]
Andalusian [Sorria x Carthusian] X [Sorria x West African Barb]
Spanish Barb [Spanish Jennet x West African Barb] X [Andalusian x West African Barb]
Friesian [Forest Horse] X [Arabian x Andalusian]
Galloway [Exmore Pony] X [Exmore Pony x Friesian]
Thoroughbred [Arabian x North African Barb] X [Akel-Teke x Galloway]
Cleveland Bay [Thoroughbred] X [Arabian x North African Barb]
Norfolk Trotter [Thoroughbred x Cleveland Bay] X [Cleveland Bay]
Hackney [Norfolk Trotter x Arabian] X [Norfolk Trotter x Thoroughbred]
Welsh Mountain Pony [Thoroughbred x Hackney] X [Arabian x Exmore Pony]
Welsh Cob [Welsh Mountain Pony X Hackney] X [Norfolk Trotter x Spanish Barb]
Connemara [Spanish Jennet x Thoroughbred] X [Arabian x Welsh Cob]

and a description of the breed :)

Connemara Pony Breeders Society
http://www.connemarapony.org/site/?page_id=19
Characteristics of the breed
Type: Compact, well balanced riding type with good depth and substance and good heart room, standing on short legs, covering a lot of ground. Good temperament, hardiness, staying power, intelligence, soundness, surefootedness, with jumping ability.
Height: 128cms to 148cms inclusive.
Color: Grey, Black, Bay, Brown, Dun/may also be known as Buckskin, Palomino, Dark-Eyed Cream, with occasional Roans and Chestnuts.
Head: Well-balanced head of medium length with good width between large kindly eyes. Pony ears, well-defined cheekbone, jaw relatively deep but not coarse.
Front: Head well set onto neck. Crest should not be over-developed. Neck not set on too low. Good length of rein. Well-defined withers, good sloping shoulders.
Body: Body should be deep, with strong back, some length permissible, but should be well ribbed up with strong loins.
Limbs: Good length and strength in forearm, well-defined knees and short cannon with flat bone measuring 18cms to 21cms. Elbows should be free. Pasterns of medium length, fee well shaped, of medium size, hard and level.
Hind: Strong muscular with some length, well developed second thigh (gaskin) and strong low set hocks.
Movement: Free easy and true, without undue knee action, but active and covering the ground.

reyn
Visit My Farm

Re: Connemara

Post by reyn »

I've a small stock line on the side (I'm currently working on improving my Knabstrupper line), but I'm quite please with how they are turning out :).

.Cc. Clíodhna

.Cc. Lir

.Cc. Aengus

.Cc. Bodb Derg

.Cc. Áine

.Cc. Lugh

.Cc. Nechtan

.Cc. Dian Cecht
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:14 pm

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:14 pm