The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Welsh Ponies and Cobs

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
Millwood
Visit My Farm

Welsh Ponies and Cobs

Post by Millwood »

The Welsh Pony and Cob are closely related horse breeds including both pony and cob types, which originated in Wales in the United Kingdom. The breed society for the Welsh breeds has four sections, primarily distinguished by height, but also by variations in type: the Welsh Mountain Pony (Section A), the Welsh Pony (Section B), the Welsh Pony of Cob Type (Section C), and the Welsh Cob (Section D). Welsh ponies and cobs are known for their good temperament, hardiness, and free-moving gaits.

Section A - Welsh Mountain Pony
Bred in the mountains and wild regions of Wales for many generations, their acknowledged beauty does not mean they are merely a 'pretty toy' — centuries of 'survival of the fittest' has ensured the sound constitution, iron hard limbs and great intelligence which combined with the legendary Welsh temperament, makes the ideal child's pony of today. They can be seen ridden and driven all over the world — equally at home in the cold of Canada and Sweden or the heat of Africa and Australia.
The head of the Mountain Pony should be small, with neat pointed ears, big bold eyes and a wide forehead. The jaw should be clean cut, tapering to a small muzzle; the silhouette may be concave or 'dished' but never convex or too straight. The neck should be of good length and well carried with shoulders sloping back to a clearly defined wither. The limbs must be set square with good flat bone and round dense hooves. The tail set high and gaily carried.
Action must be quick, free and straight from the shoulder, knees and hocks well flexed with straight and powerful leverage well under the body.
The height should not exceed 12 h.h

Section B - The Welsh Pony
The general description of the Welsh Mountain Pony can be applied to the Welsh Pony, with greater emphasis being placed on riding pony qualities. Section B ponies also generally have a slightly lighter build, as a result of Thoroughbred and Hackney blood. Section B ponies resemble the Section A pony, but are of a more refined "riding type"
The height should not exceed 13.2 h.h

Section C: The Welsh Pony of Cob Type
The Welsh Pony of Cob Type, Section C, is the stronger counterpart of the Welsh Pony, but with Cob blood.
Their true worth as a dual purpose animal has been fully realised in recent years, and their numbers have increased accordingly.
Active, surefooted and hardy, they are ideal for so many purposes both for adults and children.
Like all the Welsh Breeds they are natural jumpers and they also excel in harness — there are in fact few things that they cannot be used for.
The height should not exceed 13.2 h.h

Section D: The Welsh Cob
Aptly described as "the best ride and drive animal in the World", the Welsh Cob has been evolved throughout many centuries for his courage, tractability and powers of endurance.
The general character is the embodiment of strength, hardiness and agility. the head shows great quality with Pony character: bold prominent eyes, a broad forehead and neat, well set ears. The body must be deep, on strong limbs with good "hard wearing" joints and an abundance of flat bone. Action must be straight, free and forceful, the knees should be bent and then the whole foreleg extended from the shoulders as far as possible in all paces, with the hocks well flexed, producing powerful leverage.
The Welsh Cob is a good hunter and a most competent performer in all competitive sports. In recent years they have had great success in the international driving world. Their abilities in all spheres are now fully recognised throughout the world.
The height should exceed 13.2 h.h with no upper limit.

Welsh Mountain Pony - [ Thoroughbred x Hackney ] x [ Arabian x Exmoor Pony ]
Welsh Pony - Welsh Mountain Pony x [ Welsh Mountain Pony x Welsh Cob ]
Welsh Pony Of Cob Type - [ Welsh Mountain Pony x Welsh Cob ] x Welsh Cob
Welsh Cob - [ Welsh Mountain Pony x Hackney ] x [ Norfolk Trotter x Spanish Barb ]
Last edited by Millwood on Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Millwood
Visit My Farm

Re: Welsh Ponies and Cobs

Post by Millwood »

No welshies in the game yet and they are the founders for quite a few breeds so I am going to try and breed some, probably not from scratch though! I have some Thoroughbred x Hackney and Arabian x Exmoor Ponies maturing from ponies found on the sale boards and at stud, so fingers crossed!
I have this little colt that should hopefully be good for the TB x hackney part
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/97400
CalicoJenn
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by CalicoJenn »

I am working on welsh mountain ponies at the moment as they a step on the way to my goal of Morgans. The biggest problems i have run into are size so I bred some shetlands into my tbs then worked them back to pure tb to work into TB x Hackney X Exmoor x Arabian.
Millwood
Visit My Farm

Post by Millwood »

This little guy was close but his body size was a bit to big, I seem to get small ones ok, but getting the whole package has eluded me so far LOL!
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/97724
CalicoJenn
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by CalicoJenn »

Millwood
Visit My Farm

Post by Millwood »

Oh well done!!!
CalicoJenn
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by CalicoJenn »

Thank you :) I will have him up for stud as soon as he ages up so he can help other programs.
Millwood
Visit My Farm

Post by Millwood »

I've managed to get a few welsh mountains now, and over 60 in the game so far! Also noticed some Welsh Cobs have been bred!
Neon
Visit My Farm

Post by Neon »

If you happened to have some welsh cob stallions you could stud, or even a mare or two to sell, please let me know as they are the foundation for a breed i'm trying to get! thanks :) I also have some Welshie x TB foals if you'd be interested.
reyn
Visit My Farm

Post by reyn »

I'm working on some Welsh Cobs to put towards my Connemaras, and I have a single Welsh Mountain Pony lol
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:11 am

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:11 am