The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Welsh Ponies and Cobs

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
reyn
Visit My Farm

Re: Welsh Ponies and Cobs

Post by reyn »

Yay, finally got some Welsh Cobs :). I've had to mix a lot of Beligian blood through my stock to produce heavier ponies and some feathering, but I've now bred a few fillies that I'm pleased with the look of;

Image Image

I've placed the sire on stud. He's a Spanish Barb x Norfolk with a proven record of producing Welsh Cobs and he's been bred to be heavy and lightly feathered in keeping with what a Welsh Cob should look like. I also have on stud a Hackney x Welsh Mountain Pony stud who again has had a bit of Belgian blood added to make him stockier (sadly no feathering :(), a Hackney and a Welsh Mountain Pony. If you search my brand .Cc. all my studs will come up :).
LittleLottie
Visit My Farm

Post by LittleLottie »

I want to help if possible! Would love to be able to make the American Shetland, but I need Welshies in order to proceed with that, and create other breeds from the Shetland.
Rodeo_Ace
Visit My Farm

Post by Rodeo_Ace »

I'm going to join in on the conversation now. :)

I'm currently working on breeding Welsh Cobs up from scratch, I want to produce a purely Buckskin herd. (Because I own a Buckskin Welsh Cob in real life). This is a huge project! I could believe all the breeding steps required! Does anyone have any advise to help with this program??
|A∀| Atherton Hills
Competition Deliboz | Colored Deliboz | Atheriton Grades | Belgian Warmbloods | Welsh Cobs | Competition Arabians
Djeraya
Visit My Farm

Post by Djeraya »

I am just throwing in that when breeding purely buckskins with each other you will always get at least bays and perlinos, and that is if the buckskins are homozygous for A and E genes - if not you will also get chestnuts, black, palomino etc etc.
So, a buckskin has one cream gene on bay base coat; assuming you have homozygous horses, breeding a perlino and a bay is a guaranteed buckskin; but breeding two buckskins together will result in 50 % chance for buckskin and 25 % each for bay and perlino.
That's the first thing. Having homozygous bay base (E/E A/A) would be good for the project. If a bay horse has bay parents and bay progeny, possibly for several generations, it has a high chance of being homozygous. Tarpans and Przewalskis have always a natural bay base, although often diluted by a lot of sooty and dun, so that they do not look really bay. ;)
Rodeo_Ace
Visit My Farm

Post by Rodeo_Ace »

Teehee! Yes exactly. This is why it is an interesting battle, the animals I have now are mixes of bays and perlinos. I am relatively knew to breeding for color my expertise has more to do with conformation for show quality so this is an interesting thing to try and learn.
|A∀| Atherton Hills
Competition Deliboz | Colored Deliboz | Atheriton Grades | Belgian Warmbloods | Welsh Cobs | Competition Arabians
flrancho
Visit My Farm

Post by flrancho »

I'm considering breeding some of these guys from foundation stock to strengthen the lines. A Welsh Cob was the very first horse I ever rode when I was little, so I have a soft place for them.
Rodeo_Ace
Visit My Farm

Post by Rodeo_Ace »

I got my very first filly and the months of selective breeding has been really for not... I have a huge selective breeding program breeding only for the best Cobs and a Grade horse mare from my Clydesdale program produced the best Welsh Cob so far. It's funny! I hope my selective program will be able to match my random mare.

Half Welsh Cob 5/5 -- COI: 6.96%
[ЯR] Windsong
This filly seems as strong as average. This filly runs about average, speed-wise. We won't know for a while, but looks like she's got a decent amount of stamina. This filly walks in a perfect manner. This filly has an average pace. This filly's balance is average. This filly isn't very agile nor is she stiff. This filly is pretty bright.
Last edited by Rodeo_Ace on Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
|A∀| Atherton Hills
Rodeo_Ace
Visit My Farm

Post by Rodeo_Ace »

SeaJones6400 wrote:I am trying to breed more Norfolk Trotters because the Spanish Barb part of the Welsh Cob is extremely difficult and requires me to go more further back than going on the Norfolk Trotter side. If needed I will breed some more Spanish Barbs but in this case I'd rather not if not needed. We want new blood we may need to go back to the beginning, which I am already on! We can move there if you want just post your reply there and I'll check back there.
I have been doing the same, even adding some Clydesdale blood into my lines. Which, ironically, has produced better Cobs than my breeding lines. It's really good that you are introducing new blood, anything to keep the lines fresh and clean.
|A∀| Atherton Hills
SeaJones6400
Visit My Farm

Post by SeaJones6400 »

Okay! Lemme know if you have any tips, because I'm still pretty new to this game and still trying to understand it :)
Rodeo_Ace
Visit My Farm

Post by Rodeo_Ace »

Anytime, I have my strengths but there are still allot of things that I don't understand.
|A∀| Atherton Hills
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:20 am

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:20 am