The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Trait du Nord

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
Weaving
Visit My Farm

Trait du Nord

Post by Weaving »

Summary

The Trait du Nord is a large, powerful horse with a short back and a very heavy bone structure. It is usually bay, roan or chestnut with the occasional black or grey. Mares are usually around 16.1hh and stallions around 16.3hh, an adult horse should weigh anywhere between 1800 and 2200 pounds. The breed has its routes in Belgian and Dutch Draught horses; around 200 years ago it became recognised as a breed in its own right. Nowadays it is considered endangered (with only 180 mares covered in 2008). It is bred in the north of France, where its placid character and ease of movement allow it to fulfill many uses from hard field work to leisure riding.

History

The Trait du Nord was originally used for agriculture, mining and to tow barges on waterways. The latter use ended quickly with the increased use of the engine at the beginning of the 20th century. The peak use of the breed for agriculture was quite short, running from 1880 to around 1960. The breed's stamina and energy allows them to perform well in the heavy and compact soils, common in the region of Nord-Pas-de-Calais. The nature of soils in Hainaut required a horse weighing more than 1,800 pounds (800 kg) for effective plowing. Since the 1950s, the Trait du Nord has been the preferred breed for farmers who practice intensive cropping of cereals and beets in the Northern Great Plains of France. It's immense pulling power made it popular for use during the Industrial Revolution of the late 19th century in heavy industry, including mining. Breeders worked to adapt the breed to mining requirements, and the breed became larger as more power was needed to pull heavier loads. Good horses were able to pull 16.8 metric tons, usually around twelve cars worth, along a railway.

Conformation

The ideal Trait du Nord is large, well built, short and powerful, with a large frame and well-developed muscles, energetic, with easygoing and beautiful gaits. The head is generally small in proportion to the mass of the horse, and often snub, with a flat profile. The neck is of medium length and strong, often slightly arched. The withers are prominent and the shoulder long and slightly oblique. The back is short and straight and the body compact, solid and very muscular. The chest is deep, with a broad, muscular breast. The croup is wide and powerfully muscled. The hooves are hard and strong.

The Trait du Nord on Horse World Online

Horses should be 15.3hh to 17.0hh, of Medium Heavy to Heavy build, have a body size of 70-95% and be 70-90% pony type.

The recipe for crossbreeding a Trait du Nord is as follows:
Belgian x [ Ardennais x Boulonnais ]

Ardennais = Forest Horse x Belgian
Boulonnais = Spanish Barb x [ Arabian x Forest Horse ]
Spanish Barb = [ Spanish Jennet x West African Barb ] x [ Andalusian x West African Barb ]
Spanish Jennet = [ Arabian x Sorraia ] x North African Barb
West African Barb = [ Arabian x North African Barb ] x [ North African Barb x Forest Horse ]
Andalusian = [ Sorraia x Carthusian ] x [ Sorraia x West African Barb ]
Sorraia = [ Tarpan x Mongolian ] x [ Tarpan x West African Barb ]
Mongolian = [ Przewalski Horse x Tarpan ] x Tarpan

Available Trait du Nord Stallions

Duchamp

Matisse

Bernard

Daubigny

Useful Stallions for Crossbreeding

Lafayette

Ardennais x Boulonnais Stallion
Burbank of the Labyrinth Clan

Hudson of the Manhatten Clan

Recognised Breeders

If you are interested in becoming a Recognised Breeder, just comment on this post with any stallions available for stud/mares available for brood.

Weaving of Loomis Acres
Stallions for public stud at 5000 each
Mares for arranged brood at 15000 each
Stallions or mares available in breeding exchanges
Nusbaum acres
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Trait du Nord

Post by Nusbaum acres »

I have been building up the Trait du Nord as well. Let me know if we can work together on improving the breed. I also have the only other Auxois and want to see if I can breed her to your Stallion when she is ready.
Weaving
Visit My Farm

Post by Weaving »

Nusbaum acres wrote:I have been building up the Trait du Nord as well. Let me know if we can work together on improving the breed. I also have the only other Auxois and want to see if I can breed her to your Stallion when she is ready.
I've been inactive for a little while, so luckily you've caught me online! I'll definitely stud the stallion to you, perhaps we could work something out like a few free breedings in exchange for a filly??
Nusbaum acres
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Nusbaum acres »

That sounds like a plan. I'm going to try and produce more, but I would like to have different bloodlines. You also have two trait du nord stallions that have different bloodlines I would like to breed to as well. Thank you. She is still young but she will get there soon
Weaving
Visit My Farm

Post by Weaving »

Perfect! When she's ready just let me know either on here or through private message :)
Weaving
Visit My Farm

Post by Weaving »

Nusbaum acres wrote:That sounds like a plan. I'm going to try and produce more, but I would like to have different bloodlines. You also have two trait du nord stallions that have different bloodlines I would like to breed to as well. Thank you. She is still young but she will get there soon
Hi! My premium account has run out so I can't see what you messaged me. Would you be able to contact me on here?
Nusbaum acres
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Nusbaum acres »

I am still waiting on the foal from your stallion, but I just had another first generation filly born. Would you rather have one of those fillies or wait to see if I get a filly from your stud?
Weaving
Visit My Farm

Post by Weaving »

Nusbaum acres wrote:I am still waiting on the foal from your stallion, but I just had another first generation filly born. Would you rather have one of those fillies or wait to see if I get a filly from your stud?
I'd rather have a first gen filly I think, if that's still an option! Sorry I'm so late replying, life has been a little hectic recently :lol:
Nusbaum acres
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Nusbaum acres »

Yeah, that's fine. I'll put one up for you. You have two trait du nord stallions that I would like to breed to. I need some different bloodlines in my heard.
Weaving
Visit My Farm

Post by Weaving »

Nusbaum acres wrote:Yeah, that's fine. I'll put one up for you. You have two trait du nord stallions that I would like to breed to. I need some different bloodlines in my heard.
Hiya! If you link me the stallions like you'd like put up then I'll see what I can do. Also did you ever get around to putting up that Auxois filly for sale?
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:39 am

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:39 am