The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Orlov Trotter

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
Qim
Visit My Farm

Orlov Trotter

Post by Qim »

ORLOV TROTTER
The Orlov is one of the oldest and most famous Russian breeds, notorious for its exceptional
speed, stamina and elegance, impressive trotting action, and an overall hard working aptitude.
-- HISTORY --
The Orlov trotter was developed in the late 18th century by Count Alexei Orlov, at the stud farm
Khrenovoye in Russia, surrounded by a vast open grass-land coincidentally favored by the wild Tarpans.
The grey stallion Bars I, born in 1784, was considered the first Orlov, featuring the fast trotting gait
and tall noble bearing that would later become the core elements of the breed.

The popularity of the Orlov declined as other breeds, such as the French trotter and
the Standardbred excelled on the racing tracks, resulting in massive crossbreeding.
Periods of revolution and war greatly endangered the survival of the Orlov, and further
decline was caused by the advances made in automotive and agricultural technologies.

The International Committee for the Protection of the Orlov Trotter was established in 1997,
and today there are around 15 active stud farms across Russia and Ukraine alone.
-- BREED CHARACTERISTICS --
Conformation

The proportions of an ideal Orlov combines height with a light, yet powerful build,
where the extensive and naturally arched neck is set high on the medium to long,
well sloped shoulders.

A relatively large head boasts of ample expressive eyes with a wide forehead
and a straight or slightly dished profile, frequently with a coarse attribute.

The body is muscular with strongly built legs, a long and straight back,
conspicuous withers, broad croup, prominent joints and distinct tendons.

Color

Grey (46%)
Black (28%)
Bay (20%)
Chestnut (5%)

Temperament

Due to their Arabian heritage, Orlovs are generally sensitive and spirited.
-- USAGE --
Despite being widely associated with harness racing, the Orlov is and has
always been a versatile breed, and may therefore excel in most disciplines.
-- HWO STATS --
Orlov Trotter

[Thoroughbred x Mecklenburg] x [Arabian x Norfolk Trotter]

Height: 15.0hh – 16.3hh
Build: Very Light – Light
Body Size: 10% – 30%
Type: 70% – 90% Horse Type
-- BREEDERS --
Last edited by Qim on Thu May 18, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qim
Visit My Farm

Re: Orlov Trotter

Post by Qim »

I've got a successful breeding pair on offer for someone who wants to focus on this breed:

Люба

Xóan Lois
BrokenOak
Visit My Farm

Post by BrokenOak »

I was interested in creating the Russian Trotter, Do you have a Stud available that I could breed to my Standardbreds?
Qim
Visit My Farm

Post by Qim »

BrokenOak wrote:I was interested in creating the Russian Trotter, Do you have a Stud available that I could breed to my Standardbreds?
Sure, got this guy up for ya.

Герой
BrokenOak
Visit My Farm

Post by BrokenOak »

Thank you! I have to make some room at my farm and I will breed my mares to him.
Qim
Visit My Farm

Post by Qim »

BrokenOak wrote:Thank you! I have to make some room at my farm and I will breed my mares to him.
No prob!
Hopefully you'll get that Russian Trotter on the first try :D
MMStable
Visit My Farm

Post by MMStable »

I'm planning on breeding all the harness breeds available, but so far I've only gotten Finnish Universal and French Trotter. Orlovs are definitely on my list!
Qim
Visit My Farm

Post by Qim »

MMStable wrote:I'm planning on breeding all the harness breeds available, but so far I've only gotten Finnish Universal and French Trotter. Orlovs are definitely on my list!
I'm happy to hear that! Still got the aforementioned breeding pair if you want to get on it asap. Otherwise, keep me posted :)
Rinsa213
Visit My Farm

Post by Rinsa213 »

Hello! Dear breeders, whether for mating or for sale ORLOV TROTTER, we would like to breed this breed.
Qim
Visit My Farm

Post by Qim »

Rinsa213 wrote:Hello! Dear breeders, whether for mating or for sale ORLOV TROTTER, we would like to breed this breed.
Cool, I've got this purebred Orlov mare. Got plenty of stallions you could breed her to. I'll let her go for $1000.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:53 am

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:53 am