The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

The Miniature Horse [Association]

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
Rikkiri
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm

The Miniature Horse [Association]

Post by Rikkiri »

The Miniature Horse Association
Unofficially, I am putting together an amalgamation of information about the Miniature breed here on HWO. This is where it starts!

The Breed Standards

According to the AMHA, there are four main things when looking at registering a Miniature and those are: Color, Height, Sire, and Dam. As far as HWO goes, however, I'd guess there are a few different standards to look for in a Miniature.

Height

Taking into consideration the evaluation book on HWO, the standard height for a Miniature is between 29 and 34 inches tall. According to AMHA, no Miniature should be above 34 inches in height. We will stick to: 29in to 34in Mature Height range.

Build

Miniatures come in all different shapes and sizes, some being built towards the Arabian spectrum, others towards the Quarter Horse or Appaloosa spectrum. Either way, HWO's book says Medium Light to Medium. Light and Heavy are not considered the "standard".

Color

By AMHA registration, "There are hundreds of choices that Miniature Horses comin in and many change color throughout their lives.". I have yet to see an end to color combination of Mini's. In my opinion, the more colorful - the better!

Disciplines
The most common discipline for a Miniature would be Driving, however they can participate in other areas as well!
Halter

In Hand Dressage

Jumping

The Association
I've created a website, temporarily, for holding a studbook and farm directory that specializes in Miniature's. It's unfinished, and may never be finished, but for those interested in being listed as Miniature breeders, then go ahead and visit it so I can put you on the list. I figured it's a good way to keep everyone together, since the forums can get a bit cluttered here. Hopefully, we can have our clubs/associations etc one day!

http://hwominiature.weebly.com
Loki - Black #1 Ranked TB Stud
Samhain - Metallic Grullo Ranked #1 Hanoverian Stud
Revenant
Visit My Farm

Re: The Miniature Horse [Association]

Post by Revenant »

This is a really nice Breeding Community thread. :) Just wanted to say that and also good luck on all your projects. I'm a fan of Minis myself and I hope you do well. (Also I am getting some strangely small Exmoor Ponies recently and I'm not sure if any of the Falabella, Mini, or Shetland breeders might want them, but FYI.)
Tiratzo
Visit My Farm

Post by Tiratzo »

I have been working on creating very small Arabians I have a couple that are very small. I have a 14yo mare that is 14 inchs and may under 20". Was wondering id anyone else is working on a similar project.
RilkaGreen
Visit My Farm

Post by RilkaGreen »

Tiratzo wrote:I have been working on creating very small Arabians I have a couple that are very small. I have a 14yo mare that is 14 inchs and may under 20". Was wondering id anyone else is working on a similar project.

I was doing both Minis and Tiny Arabs previously, but I no longer am. Would you be interested in my only successful Tiny Arab Stud (17in mature height)? I hate to rehome him, but he's useless to me now.

Tiratzo
Visit My Farm

Post by Tiratzo »

Think you for your offer but I am working on a certain color
Tiratzo
Visit My Farm

Post by Tiratzo »

Thank you I meant
Meepaddy
Visit My Farm