The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Mérens Pony

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
Weaving
Visit My Farm

Mérens Pony

Post by Weaving »

An Introduction to The Mérens Pony
The Mérens Pony (sometimes called the Ariègeois pony) is a beautiful and rare mountain pony native to the Pyrenees and Ariègeois mountains of Northern Spain and Southern France. Nowadays purebred ponies are only rarely found in the highest regions of Andorra. Physically they share most of their characteristics with the Dales pony and Friesian, but it is thought they take some of their fineness from Arabian blood introduced during the Muslim invasion.

Mérens Pony breeders raise their animals as nature intended with foals being born in the snow in Spring, ready to move with the herd to high mountain pastures in June. This tough lifestyle adds to their strong and hardy nature. Their harsh environment means that most Mérens Ponies are very similar in appearance, having developed over many centuries to survive optimally in this climate. All Mérens Ponies are black and seldom have white markings.
Conformation
Mérens Ponies measure 13hh to 14.3hh (in HWO 14.1hh to 15.2hh) and are good doers, able to survive in the poorest conditions. They have a small refined head, likely from the introduction of Arabian blood, a short strong neck, long back, rounded hindquarters and a thick mane and tail. They have very strong sound feet and are naturally surefooted owing to their mountainous home. They have a medium light build of 35 - 50% body size and should be between 55% horse type and 60% pony type.

Temperament and Use

Nowadays the Mérens Pony is mostly used as a riding horse, excelling at trekking in mountainous areas. Historically they have been used for timber hauling and agricultural work. Recently the breed has seen a resurgence in its use as a driving and harness horse, owing to its athletic abilities, surefootedness and trainability, despite its independent nature.
A Good Example of the Breed
Merens Prestige, taken from Pinterest
Weaving
Visit My Farm

Re: Mérens Pony

Post by Weaving »

Horses Available for Sale

Premiere

SOLD

Pure Merens Pony from the only existing line in game, HGP 43190

Poulet

Half Merens Pony from the only existing line in game, HGP 48188

Deuxieme

SOLD

Pure Merens Pony from the only existing line in game, HGP 37909

Douzieme

SOLD

Pure Merens Pony from the only exisiting line in game, HGP 37299.

Audrey

SOLD

Pure second generation Merens Pony from the only existing line in game, HGP 39846
Last edited by Weaving on Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Weaving
Visit My Farm

Re: Mérens Pony

Post by Weaving »

EDIT* Have put up a new batch of Half/Part Merens Ponies for very cheap. Really would love to see some others working on this breed! :D

Having bred up a frankly ridiculous 120+ Merens ponies myself, I'm looking to let the breed out to others who are interested in them. I'd like to diversify the gene pool a little, whilst I work on breeding for the correct black colouring. Almost all ponies on my farm are of the Merens breed and most are for sale for $5000 or less, don't hesitate to get in touch!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:32 pm

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:32 pm