The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Spanish Mustang

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
ellmovy
Visit My Farm

Spanish Mustang

Post by ellmovy »

Spanish Mustangs are a rare breed, both in game and in real life. It'd be great if they could become a bit more popular.

Currently 200 active horses and 9 stallions at stud

About the Breed
From Wiki:
The Spanish Mustang is an American horse breed descended from horses brought from Spain during the early conquest of the Americas. They are classified within the larger grouping of the Colonial Spanish horse, a type that today is rare in Spain. By the early 20th century, most of the once-vast herds of mustangs that had descended from the Spanish horses had been greatly reduced in size. Seeing that these horses were on the brink of extinction, some horseman began making efforts to find and preserve the remaining "Spanish Mustangs" drawing stock from feral and Native American herds, as well as ranch stock. The breed was one of the first to be part of a concerted preservation effort for horses of Spanish phenotype, and a breed registry was founded in 1957.

The Spanish Mustang as a modern domesticated breed differs from the feral free-roaming Mustang. The latter animals are descended from both Spanish horses and other domesticated horses escaped or released from various sources; many run wild in Herd Management Areas (HMAs) of the western United States, currently managed by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). Some feral herds also exist in Canada. DNA studies indicate that Spanish breeding and type does still exist in some feral Mustang herds, including those on the Cerbat HMA (near Kingman, Arizona), Pryor Mountain HMA (Montana), Sulphur HMA (Utah), and Kiger HMA.

Evaluation

Breed Spanish Jennet x Mustang
13.0hh - 15.0hh
Medium Light - Medium
Body size 35%-55%
70% horse - 50% pony

Conformation

General
Hardy, smooth muscled, short-backed, some gaited

Head & Neck
  • Face profile: convex/roman preferable, straight fine
    Face length: ?
    Jowl: ?
    Neck length: Medium - about same length as (short) back, barrel, hip & shoulder
    Not measured in HWO conformation:
    • -Fine, narrow ears
      -Heavy bone over eyes
      -Wide forehead
      -Muscular/well crested neck
      -Cleanly arched throatlatch
      -Fine & narrow ears, notched at top
Shoulder & Barrel
  • Withers/Shoulder Angle: Sloped - shoulder strongly angled & laid back, pronounced withers, same length as back, neck, barrel & hip
    Point of Shoulder: Low?
    Rib Cage: Deep - barrel same same length as back, neck, hip & shoulder
    Depth of Flank: Deep
    • -Narrow chest
      -Front legs join chest in 'A' shape
      -Long underline
Back, Haunches, & Legs
  • Hip Angle: Sloped
    Hip Length: Long - same length as back, neck, barrel & shoulder
    Leg Thickness: Somewhere between thin & medium - (well boned w/ large, strong joints, tendons & ligaments but still fine in appearance?)
    Stifle Placement: ?
    Back Length: Short - same length as hip, neck, barrel & shoulder, often one less lumbar vertebrae
    Croup Height: Uphill
    • -Hind legs can be slightly set under
      -Short cannons
      -Low-set tail
      -Feet small & strong w/ thick walls
      -Hind feet somewhat toed-out

Colour
Any!! More likely than 'modern' breeds to have old/rare colours & markings, so strong primitive markings in duns are a plus. I hope the game has two-toned manes on duns one day because I've seen it pretty intense on Spanish Mustangs before and it's beautiful.

Strengths/Disciplines
Known for stamina, as well as intelligence. Ridden in Endurance competitions, as well as many other disciplines, Western & English.
Last edited by ellmovy on Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 162 times in total.
Dressage Queen
Visit My Farm

Re: Spanish Mustang

Post by Dressage Queen »

ellmovy wrote:Spanish Mustangs are a rare breed, both in game and in real life. It'd be great if they could become a bit more popular. I'll keep posted on my own sales and studs, and I'm very interested in any available horses, especially since there are only 3 stallions currently at stud, one being mine.
I just bought the colt that you had for sale and as soon as he is old enough I plan on putting hi up for stud:)
ellmovy
Visit My Farm

Post by ellmovy »

I now have a filly available: http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/787449

I also have a colt nearing breeding age so there will be another stallion at stud soon enough
ellmovy
Visit My Farm

New Stud

Post by ellmovy »

I've just had a colt reach breeding age, $500 covering
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/773572
ellmovy
Visit My Farm

Filly Sale

Post by ellmovy »

I decided to make this filly available, $1500
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/777292
ellmovy
Visit My Farm

Colt for sale

Post by ellmovy »

4* Colt, $1,500: http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/795307

I'd really prefer that if you're buying my horses you'll actually use them to promote the breed whether that's breeding or competing. If you resell them straight away I'll probably just buy them back.
ellmovy
Visit My Farm

Filly for Sale

Post by ellmovy »

ellmovy
Visit My Farm

Colt/Stallion sales

Post by ellmovy »

I've reduced the price of all of my colts and stallions to $500 because I have too many
ellmovy
Visit My Farm

Wanted

Post by ellmovy »

If anyone has any Spanish Mustangs with multiple green/gold stats I'm willing to pay a fair amount for them - now that I've bred quantity I want to concentrate on lots of positive stats
8arbarossa
Visit My Farm

Re: Spanish Mustang

Post by 8arbarossa »

i am waiting for paintings are coming to the game and then its Spanish mustang time :)
♞ ☠ 8αƦβαƦø$$α ☠ ♞
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:06 am

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:06 am