Community Forum

Cross Breeding Adjustments

Official announcements about the new game.
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Cross Breeding Adjustments

Post by larissar »

I've made a couple of important adjustments to cross breeding.

Firstly, you'll notice that the Breed listed for your cross bred horses may have changed. Now it will list the second breed on Part/Half/Mixed Bred horses so you can quickly tell if a horse can be used in a cross breeding 'recipe' or not. A quick guide to the cross breed name format:

Mixed Arabian: This is a horse who's got so many breeds in their pedigree that only one really stands out, but the breed percentage is less than 50%.
Half Arabian: This is a horse who's again got so many breeds in their pedigree that only one stands out but the horse is exactly 50% of that breed.
Part Arabian: This is the same as the first two but the horse is greater than 50% of that breed.
Mixed Arabian x Forest Horse: I'm actually not certain if this particular format will ever appear, but it means the horse is less than 50% Arabian, but there is just enough Forest Horse (less than Arabian) that it's still recorded for this horse.
Half Arabian x Forest Horse: This is the most common, it means the horse is exactly 50% Arabian, and likely (but not necessarily) 50% Forest Horse
Part Arabian x Forest Horse: This is what happens when you cross the Half bred horse back to an Arabian. The second breed (Forest Horse) is still recorded for a few generations until the horse is considered pure. The 'Part' indicates the horse is greater than 50% of that breed.

Secondly, when evaluating a new cross I've adjusted the code to better select the correct breed. In some cases when you breed a horse that is for example Half Breed A to another horse that is Half Breed B x Breed C, you might end up with a horse that is Mixed Breed C. The expected result should actually be Mixed Breed A. I've tested this change in my own herd and it appears to be working but please let me know if you run into any bugged foals.

As always, remember these changes only effect foals born from mares who are bred last night onward, since the foal record is actually created at the tie of breeding, not at the time of foaling.
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Re: Cross Breeding Adjustments

Post by Argent »

To confirm: When crossbreeding, A Mixed, Part or Half Arab would function as an purebred Arab; and a Part Arab x Forest Horse would function as a Half Arab x Forest Horse?
Nate
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Nate »

Yes.
Signature? I don't need no stinkin' signature! Everybody knows who I am already!
Kikary
Visit My Farm

Post by Kikary »

I crossed a horse and the breed came Grade Horse
SeinaMacabre
Visit My Farm

Post by SeinaMacabre »

Grade Horse means that there is too many different breeds in horses pedigree it cant be tracked.
Nate
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Nate »

When you cross, say, a Belgian x Tarpan to a North African Barb x Przewalski, the horse comes out grade because none of the breeds "wins out". If you were to do the same with a Belgian x Tarpan and a 75% North African Barb x Prezewalski, you'd likely get a Mixed North African Barb x Belgian, or a Mixed North African Barb x Tarpan. The rules for breed inheritance are extremely complicated.
Signature? I don't need no stinkin' signature! Everybody knows who I am already!
Darkness reigns 12
Visit My Farm

Post by Darkness reigns 12 »

If I bred two mixed horses say either a mixed mustang and a mixed Andalusian together what would I get????
Nate
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Nate »

A grade, I think. Why don't you try it out and report back?
Darkness reigns 12
Visit My Farm

Post by Darkness reigns 12 »

Ok I will n thank you
Azureskies
Visit My Farm

Post by Azureskies »

I bred an Arabian stallion to a Konik mare. It turns out the stallion has a mixed pedigree but his breed says "Arabian". The mare is a first generation Konik. the resulting foal says "Part Konik x Arabian". Is this supposed to happen? I figured with the breeds saying Arabian and Konik respectively that it would come out half and half.
Become a Patron!