The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Inflated competitions, Cheating or not cheating?

Want to hold your own contest? Post the details here!
QuesthavenFarms
Visit My Farm

Re: Inflated competitions, Cheating or not cheating?

Post by QuesthavenFarms »

Farant wrote:
hdmcminn wrote:
I agree with Farant. Whether or not it is technically cheating, it negates a large portion of the game to artificially inflate points. Also, not eventually aging out top horses makes another portion of the game completely irrelevant for newer or other players. Which is why I have always aged out my top horses eventually. Otherwise it just isn't as fun.
And I wish to add that it would be perfect to add geldings. And competitions will work without problems. Breeders produce top stock, sell it without worrying about other people getting their precious lines. It can consume a lot of time and energy to produce a decent horse. Geldings would be perfect for competitions, and breeding stock can be evaluated by the quality of the offspring.

I would also vote for the money reset. As I said before, it wouldn't be a great deal to earn money back even without inflated competitions.
I totally disagree with a money reset. It took me a long time to get to the money I have now. Besides, would not be fair to players who have not tricked the system.
Farant
Visit My Farm

Post by Farant »

Well, what can we think about to fix inflated money? I mean money could be used for something useful instead of reset. I think about making some sort of temporary bonus or stuff like that.
If we start to make competitions with insane purses on a daily basis once again, we will redistribute the money, but the amount will be pretty much the same. I have around 460.000.000 on both accounts. I can create hundreds of competitions with purse around 1kk. I'm not the richest one. This will take too much time and lead to nothing.
Kayaine
Visit My Farm

Post by Kayaine »

QuesthavenFarms wrote:
Farant wrote:
And I wish to add that it would be perfect to add geldings. And competitions will work without problems. Breeders produce top stock, sell it without worrying about other people getting their precious lines. It can consume a lot of time and energy to produce a decent horse. Geldings would be perfect for competitions, and breeding stock can be evaluated by the quality of the offspring.

I would also vote for the money reset. As I said before, it wouldn't be a great deal to earn money back even without inflated competitions.
I totally disagree with a money reset. It took me a long time to get to the money I have now. Besides, would not be fair to players who have not tricked the system.
I agree with this. I specifically stopped playing when these issues became rampant, so that I would not have to deal with the inflation issue. All the money that I accrued came prior to this issue, and I would be very disappointed to lose months of hard work.
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

Farant wrote:I wrote about it many times!

Well, if the horse cannot be evaluated correctly by the amount of points and wins it earned, why bother to take part in competitions at all? Argent, you're basically saying we should take it easy. But it's IMPORTANT part of the game. Points must mean something, as long as I can remember. Rankings are totally wrong now, and half of the game is dead. There's no motivation to work and raise your farm to the top. No motivation for the competitive players, who are willing to come and play and pay for it. Without it you're basically left with "the most beautiful horse" contests.
You evaluate your horse based on it's scores. The it's not being judged as quality just because everything is is so mediocre. If you're judging your horses' quality by their points or earnings, you're doing it wrong. I'll put value in points when they're actually worth something.
Farant wrote: I myself took part in inflated shows several times, I will not say I'm innocent, I have horses with inflated points, but your horses were the beginning of the story. As long as they're still on top, I won't hesitate to name you a cheater.
How exactly did I cheat? By having horses better than everyone else's so they were afraid to compete against me? Sorry your horses suck...?
Farant wrote: I would also vote for the money reset. As I said before, it wouldn't be a great deal to earn money back even without inflated competitions.
I'm not interested in losing the 100mil I earned honestly just because some people are cheats. Resetting the earnings records at the new year might help. Those who cheated to inflate their incomes should have money earned from the inflated shows removed from them.
Bombicilla
Visit My Farm

Post by Bombicilla »

Do not mislead the admin :D No need to delete money. You just need to make sure that they start writing off at daily competitions. Its all. This will solve the problem of infinity money.
Even I will quickly lose my billions if the bug will be fixed. And I will have to work, as all normal players.
And if you fix the bug with endless points (admin, if you read this, do not pay attention to the Argent :) ) and tie the participation of the competitions to the energy scale to eliminate the problem of "immortal" horses, then the game generally will come to life without any additional interventions from the developers for a long time.
All three tops will work as intended, there will be competition and an incentive to play, because it will become necessary not only to get a place in the top, but also to hold it.
Because it will not be enough to breed 1 good horse and exploit it for many months, it will be necessary to constantly breed new good horses to hold a place in the top.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

I agree with Bombicillia's last post.
In addition, with the new year coming up (if it happens at this, possibly most appropriate roll-over time), I also would propose to help level the playing field, that we 'retire' all the original records for points, earnings and wins. Not get rid of them, just close them up and open an entirely new records area.
We'll have all the old horse records saved, so we can always look back over them, like in a 'history of', but with the revamped competitions, the empty records log will allow us to begin again, without really beginning all over again.
It would make a very nice new beginning.

But of course, I don't know how difficult this would be, or how involved either.
Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Baranduin Brewster »

Argent wrote:
Farant wrote:I wrote about it many times!

Well, if the horse cannot be evaluated correctly by the amount of points and wins it earned, why bother to take part in competitions at all? Argent, you're basically saying we should take it easy. But it's IMPORTANT part of the game. Points must mean something, as long as I can remember. Rankings are totally wrong now, and half of the game is dead. There's no motivation to work and raise your farm to the top. No motivation for the competitive players, who are willing to come and play and pay for it. Without it you're basically left with "the most beautiful horse" contests.
You evaluate your horse based on it's scores. The it's not being judged as quality just because everything is is so mediocre. If you're judging your horses' quality by their points or earnings, you're doing it wrong. I'll put value in points when they're actually worth something.
Last time I looked, everyone can decide how to judge their horses quality. There is no right or wrong way, as it is a matter of opinion. If you choose Argent, not to put value in points, then so be it...that is your choice. If someone else wishes to use points or earnings...it is their choice, it doesn't make them 'wrong' or their horses mediocre.
Bombicilla wrote:http://www.horseworldonline.net/forum/v ... 3&start=30 Oh, the continuation of this topic.
I already talked a lot about points and money (who did not understand the essence because of polemic with Argent - I think that this is bad and I want that the bugs will be fixed).
But I would like to say here that simply limiting the number of horses is not the best solution (I would have removed it from the racing, because in reality it is not so). We need to revise the system as a whole.
Why? If I want to breed horses for sports, I should look at their results (% in dressage, for example). And I need to know the potential of each of my horses, even mares. However, it is impossible to train and record every horse for competitions. What to do? This: http://www.horseworldonline.net/competi ... ?edition=1
I enter all my horses of dressage line for 10 (for example) in-breed tests and get an approximate statistics of who and what can do. What will be difficult to accomplish with the restriction on the number of horses.
Why should this stay? Because in reality there is about the same thing, therefore for dressage horses there are similar tests that allow to determine their potential, not entering all the competitions to the GP.
Or think of some other way to do it, because it would be cool. In any case, the system of competitions should be reviewed in general.
I think the intention was to eventually have books to evaluate for specific discipline, like with breed evaluations.
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Where the Best, Keeps Getting Better!
Eventing Account
Proud Breeder of: Walkaloosa & Sugarbush Draft
Farm Log, Training, Sales/Silent Auctions
Club Affiliations: Inhand Jumping Club & United Driving Breeders Club
Farant
Visit My Farm

Post by Farant »

I remember books for discipline evaluation, I saw them when I joined the game. But imho, it's more interesting to have wide range of different horses. We can include the books for those who want to evaluate... This would be a nice addition.

And I'm not saying we should all start to evaluate horses by points. You can do it whatever way you like. Evaluation by scores is the World records, but it's the best of the best. What the rest of players will do without some way to compare horses to each other? You should think not only about top tier of the game, it's just wrong to do so. The Rankings are needed and they're still important. If the competition system works fine, rankings are a collection of good and outstanding horses. And they're still can show the difference just because highest score gets more points.Old horses age out, new ones enter and fight for the spot. This is how reality works. You can't have the champion forever, it'll die eventually. The Hall of Fame of your own horses can still exist on your second account wothout having any impact on rankings, but all active and competitive horses will and should age.
{Elite Dressage Horses} - World Record level horses made to move like Jagger.
ramcminn
Visit My Farm

Post by ramcminn »

BlackOak2 wrote:I agree with Bombicillia's last post.
In addition, with the new year coming up (if it happens at this, possibly most appropriate roll-over time), I also would propose to help level the playing field, that we 'retire' all the original records for points, earnings and wins. Not get rid of them, just close them up and open an entirely new records area.
We'll have all the old horse records saved, so we can always look back over them, like in a 'history of', but with the revamped competitions, the empty records log will allow us to begin again, without really beginning all over again.
It would make a very nice new beginning.

But of course, I don't know how difficult this would be, or how involved either.
Love this idea!
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

Bombicilla wrote:Do not mislead the admin :D No need to delete money. You just need to make sure that they start writing off at daily competitions. Its all. This will solve the problem of infinity money.
Even I will quickly lose my billions if the bug will be fixed. And I will have to work, as all normal players.
No, it's not misleading the admin to say the money you earned from exploiting a bug needs to be removed. It's economic hygiene for the game. When players cheat, admins correct this by removing the ill-gained items. You're lucky that you probably won't get banned. You're just being selfish and trying to get away with cheating, regardless of it's potential detriment to the game itself.
Bombicilla wrote: [...] tie the participation of the competitions to the energy scale to eliminate the problem of "immortal" horses, then the game generally will come to life without any additional interventions from the developers for a long time.
Look at you cleverly regurgitating a suggestion that has already been made and planned to implement.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:36 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:36 pm