The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Inflated competitions, Cheating or not cheating?

Want to hold your own contest? Post the details here!
Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Inflated competitions, Cheating or not cheating?

Post by Baranduin Brewster »

Claire_2 wrote:
8arbarossa wrote:
i knew you would get it :D
i just wanted to open the discussion a bit .
people that respect the game and the time players put in to it dont do it to often. But no worries noboby is chasing at you :lol:
Or are they?? :twisted:
Don't tell me there are any :lol: :lol: I am gonna stress out :shock: But Baranduin Brewster has got a point. When everyone can do it, is it still consider as cheating? :P :? I don't really have an opinion now, but I won't enter my horses in any inflated competitions again though 8-)
What event/horse is being referenced here anyways?
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Where the Best, Keeps Getting Better!
Eventing Account
Proud Breeder of: Walkaloosa & Sugarbush Draft
Farm Log, Training, Sales/Silent Auctions
Club Affiliations: Inhand Jumping Club & United Driving Breeders Club
Claire_2
Visit My Farm

Post by Claire_2 »

Baranduin Brewster wrote:
Claire_2 wrote: Don't tell me there are any :lol: :lol: I am gonna stress out :shock: But Baranduin Brewster has got a point. When everyone can do it, is it still consider as cheating? :P :? I don't really have an opinion now, but I won't enter my horses in any inflated competitions again though 8-)
My belgain here http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1069421
Feel free to PM or Ping me if you need something.
Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Claire_2 wrote:
My belgain here http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1069421
The events are opened as far as I can see (I've slipped into a few events like that before), and he would beat most of the competition out there anyways.

In fact, this does happen in horse racing, might be why it is allowed in game (the game is based off from real life)...Look up a Rabbit
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Eventing Account
Claire_2
Visit My Farm

Post by Claire_2 »

The events are opened as far as I can see (I've slipped into a few events like that before), and he would beat most of the competition out there anyways.

In fact, this does happen in horse racing, might be why it is allowed in game (the game is based off from real life)...Look up a Rabbit
I get what you mean. And about evaluating a horse before buying or breeding with it, I totally agree with you. Since you are a more experience player, can I ask you something? Does a lot of players enter their horses in "inflated competitions"?
Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Claire_2 wrote:

I get what you mean. And about evaluating a horse before buying or breeding with it, I totally agree with you. Since you are a more experience player, can I ask you something? Does a lot of players enter their horses in "inflated competitions"?
I know a couple of players who do (or did) it, I don't think many players do...I know, I'm too lazy and I don't have enough cannon fodder to spare for that type of eventing, I have filled the occasional event of mine after it doesn't run for a few days, but only with the 5 horses required. I wouldn't be to concerned about it, there are more important things for people to get upset about than something perfectly legal.
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Eventing Account
Claire_2
Visit My Farm

Post by Claire_2 »

Claire_2 wrote: I get what you mean. And about evaluating a horse before buying or breeding with it, I totally agree with you. Since you are a more experience player, can I ask you something? Does a lot of players enter their horses in "inflated competitions"?
I know a couple of players who do (or did) it, I don't think many players do...I know, I'm too lazy and I don't have enough cannon fodder to spare for that type of eventing, I have filled the occasional event of mine after it doesn't run for a few days, but only with the 5 horses required. I wouldn't be to concerned about it, there are more important things for people to get upset about than something perfectly legal.
Totally get what you mean. :geek:
LilyTromp
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by LilyTromp »

I am not sure if I would call it cheating, but it surely is unfair.

The horse is entered in a inflated game with all non-trained horses. Of course he, being the only one that is trained, does win. So instead of maybe 40 points per competition he now gains about 600. If he was entered in a 'normal' competition, with other level 10 horses, I wouldn't be so sure about him winning. His best effort is 61 feet, that's nowhere near a record.

I would refrain from inflating competitions...
8arbarossa
Visit My Farm

Post by 8arbarossa »

LilyTromp wrote:I am not sure if I would call it cheating, but it surely is unfair.

The horse is entered in a inflated game with all non-trained horses. Of course he, being the only one that is trained, does win. So instead of maybe 40 points per competition he now gains about 600. If he was entered in a 'normal' competition, with other level 10 horses, I wouldn't be so sure about him winning. His best effort is 61 feet, that's nowhere near a record.

I would refrain from inflating competitions...
well said
♞ ☠ 8αƦβαƦø$$α ☠ ♞
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

First, allow me to offer my opinion. Yes, I do consider it a way of cheating, but no, I don't see it as a kill-all. It is the responsibility of those who wish to breed, to do their research and know what they're getting into. So in the end, if people want to play that way, it's not really going to affect my gameplay anyway, so I can't really care about it.

I have noticed however, that points are in part determined not only by how many horses are entered, but also by the quality of horses that your horse is up against.

As an experiment, I have undertaken training my low GP project line and have entered them in competitions to see how they manage.
My latest mare has left quite a bit of an impression on me for this experiment, but I haven't yet figured out what it means.
Take a look at her and her record and see for yourselves what she may mean.

I have others that I can offer as examples from the low GP line, but they really tell the tale of what they were bred to be, crappy, poor horses that offer crappy, poor performances in competitions.
My point is, if your horse manages to pull a win (whether that's first, second, third, fourth or fifth), from a large field of entries, it doesn't necessarily mean they'll pull a huge amount of points. But if they manage to pull a win from even a small field of five entries, but those entries are prime examples for that competition, you are almost guaranteed to be awarded a lot of points. Of course, the level of the competition also offers a bit to the minimum point values that can be awarded.
So if you look at a horse and see there's a lot of points with only a few competitions entered, but you see that they were filled by just one farm, does this really mean the horse was false-pointed? Not necessarily. But I could still consider it a form of cheating, not because of the potential to be false-pointed, but perhaps because it can artificially inflate the purse amount that horse wins and also the level that horse can achieve. You can force a horse's level artificially higher, to a point, by entering the horse against lesser horses.
It all comes down to knowing what you're looking at and being aware of what genes and traits you want in your potential out-breeding stock.
Bitapetrone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Bitapetrone »

This is why I only care about high scores. The actual score a horse can obtain is the only thing related to competition success that cannot be artificially inflated.

I wouldn't say stacking competitions is cheating. It is perfectly doable by anyone who wishes do to so. I feel it is a disservice to the game however as it renders titles 100 percent meaningless. But at the end of the day, this is something that could be remedied to an extent by simply not having shows run automatically when a certain number of horses are entered.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:41 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:41 pm