The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Favorite Horse World Online Horses

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Favorite Horse World Online Horses

Post by BlackOak2 »

Wild Bay Pangare with blanket
Unusual silver mane and tail from non-silver parents. Most likely from leopard complex.

As a newborn:
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:

Wild Bay Pangare with blanket
Unusual silver mane and tail from non-silver parents. Most likely from leopard complex.

As a newborn:
I've been working on reproducing that white mane from before. I've found so far that this is how it appears on bay bases. No success reproducing it exactly yet, though.

And just for you, here's a stallion like that one on the color board. I don't think it's the same one I saw before, but still cool. :)

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
I've been working on reproducing that white mane from before. I've found so far that this is how it appears on bay bases. No success reproducing it exactly yet, though.

And just for you, here's a stallion like that one on the color board. I don't think it's the same one I saw before, but still cool. :)

That is a nice looking horse, the color at least. Shame they don't have saved a full picture, other than the foal.

Its a funny gene, that silver line. I have it pop up in a couple of my chestnut LP tarpans. It makes me want to mark them as flaxen (it doesn't help that a few of them are in fact flaxen), but in my case, it almost seems to be connected to pangare.

Except the horse I linked, in that case (since I missed the adult coat blow-out) I think it's probably a direct result of the roaning from leopard complex. I could be wrong, but I say so because all the black hairs quite quickly changed to that silver-gray (legs, tail, mane), all the bay points.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: Its a funny gene, that silver line. I have it pop up in a couple of my chestnut LP tarpans. It makes me want to mark them as flaxen (it doesn't help that a few of them are in fact flaxen), but in my case, it almost seems to be connected to pangare.

Except the horse I linked, in that case (since I missed the adult coat blow-out) I think it's probably a direct result of the roaning from leopard complex. I could be wrong, but I say so because all the black hairs quite quickly changed to that silver-gray (legs, tail, mane), all the bay points.
From what I've found so far it's not a simple "on-off" kind of thing either. I figured it was recessive and so two copies should equal that mane stripe, as long as it was on the correct base, right? Doesn't seem to be the case right now. It seems more like an incomplete-dominant sort of thing kind of like Lp - you have to have more copies for it to be more visible.

Now of course I'm still working on it so I don't know anything for sure yet but that seems to be the way its going.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
From what I've found so far it's not a simple "on-off" kind of thing either. I figured it was recessive and so two copies should equal that mane stripe, as long as it was on the correct base, right? Doesn't seem to be the case right now. It seems more like an incomplete-dominant sort of thing kind of like Lp - you have to have more copies for it to be more visible.

Now of course I'm still working on it so I don't know anything for sure yet but that seems to be the way its going.
As a reminder about gene dominance (I need to reread it occasionally myself):

Dominant = overrules everything
Incomplete Dominant = works as a half-gene, example is that if two genes offer white and red respectively, you get pink
Co-Dominant = able to show both gene simultaneously
Recessive = needs both to show

It could certainly be an incomplete. Of course, it could also be recessive, it depends on how many genes are involved. Think of it perhaps this way... Recessive on/off... but has sub-genes to offer values of how much. So even if you do have the recessive on genes, if you don't have any of the sub-genes, it's not going to show anything anyway.

Being rare is generally a halfway decent clue that it's a potentially recessive gene.

May have to make a chart of all the likely silver lines and figure out their pedigrees where it may come from. If there's a foal that definitely has it and the parents definitely do not, that would be the answer.

If you want help trying to define that, if you post them, I'd certainly be willing to give the pedigrees a go alongside you. Should open up a new post for that though. That's a project! But considering what we've been tackling, perhaps a smaller one project compared.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Believe me, I understand the different kinds of gene dominance very well. :lol:

And I wasn't thinking of silver, I was thinking of the "Gulastra Plume" horses with the white Fjord-like mane stripes: like this one. As far as I can see there is no silver involved. I could be wrong, but it certainly doesn't act like silver.
Fox13
Visit My Farm

Post by Fox13 »

Graying Brown

Very nice coloration at 4 years.
Fox13
Visit My Farm

Post by Fox13 »

A few of these are sneaking around; more keep popping up. This is one I found.
Says it's a perlino with blanket.

As a newborn:
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
Believe me, I understand the different kinds of gene dominance very well. :lol:

And I wasn't thinking of silver, I was thinking of the "Gulastra Plume" horses with the white Fjord-like mane stripes: like this one. As far as I can see there is no silver involved. I could be wrong, but it certainly doesn't act like silver.
You might be able to remember gene dominance at the drop of a hat, but my memory isn't so sharp anymore. I need reminders of things. :roll:

:D I didn't mean the silver gene. It looks like a line of silver at the base of the mane and tail, hence 'silver line'. But you're very right, that can easily get confused... so what... call it Plume instead?
You're right also that it doesn't act like silver. It seems to only appear on certain base coats. For instance, chestnut but only when pangare is included. Buckskin... I'm not too sure which others. Since it seems to come from Prze AC stock, what... dun bays? or maybe dun bay with pangare? I forget, can AC prze stock have pangare?

Well, according to Argent's topic, yes, they can.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: :D I didn't mean the silver gene. It looks like a line of silver at the base of the mane and tail, hence 'silver line'. But you're very right, that can easily get confused... so what... call it Plume instead?
You're right also that it doesn't act like silver. It seems to only appear on certain base coats. For instance, chestnut but only when pangare is included. Buckskin... I'm not too sure which others. Since it seems to come from Prze AC stock, what... dun bays? or maybe dun bay with pangare? I forget, can AC prze stock have pangare?

Well, according to Argent's topic, yes, they can.
I've been thinking of it as the Gulastra Plume simply because that's what the tail looks like. No idea if that's what it's actually called, but it makes sense in my mind. XD

Yeah, AC Prze can carry some intense sooty. But so far I haven't been able to find any that carry it. For right now I'm operating with the theory that it comes from Arabians and/or NABs. Which is sad because Prze would show it so nicely on that upright mane. I'm probably going to work on breeding it into upright manes once I figure out how it works.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:45 pm

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:45 pm