Community Forum

Tell me about your real horse(s), ill tell you about mine.

BridlePath
Visit My Farm

Tell me about your real horse(s), ill tell you about mine.

Post by BridlePath »

Hey guys, just wanted to get to know some of you and I'd love to hear about your REAL LIFE horses if you have any lol.
I have a Pintabian named Z. He's an older gelding, just turned 27! Before I owned him, I would pass by his paddock every weekend when I would ride along with my best friend to go to her barn and ride a lesson horse while she rode hers. Every time I saw him he was a mess! I asked my friend if she knew anything about the painted gelding, and she happened to know the girl who owned him. I contacted the girl, word was that she was trying to rehome him. I went to look at him and my Lord he was rough! He had weepy eyes.. they were dull as if his spirit was rock bottom. His mane and tail were more like dread locks.. his hips stuck out and he wheezed when he would breathe. The girl wasn't around when I looked at him, she just gave me the gate code to the property. Massive house, 3 fancy cars including a limo, a very nice medium sized barn.. and the poor horse hadn't seen his stall in ages! The girl would "forget" to feed him. She left him standing in knee high mud for SIX MONTHS! He had rain rot and mud fever and an abscess in his mouth. I talked to people who knew him through trainers and the high school equestrian team. The girl I bought him from ran him into the ground for gaming without getting him fit with training. The trainers he was sent to when he was younger beat him, he had scars on his sides from spurs, and rope burn on the bridge of his nose. He's known nothing but neglect and abuse his whole life... 25 years old at the time I met him, and he had no idea what love was. I did have to work with him a lot with his trust issues. He would panic and scream when he'd hear a whip as I tried lunging him, trying to figure him out and what happened to him. He would rear up or back away if he heard the clank of spurs (thats when I realized what the scars on his sides were from)... it broke my heart seeing how broken he was.

I bought him for $150 dollars...

Z is currently fat and happy, 2 years later.. we enjoy many peaceful trail rides into the mountains and forest. No more rain rot or mud fever scabbing his legs, no more dreadlocks or wheezing. The light came back in his eyes. As long as he's with me, he will never fear cruelty for the rest of his life.

TELL ME ABOUT YOUR HORSES! :D
Mega
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Tell me about your real horse(s), ill tell you about mine.

Post by Mega »

I ride a black paint mare that used to be a 4h barrel horse. I'm teaching her now to relax and enjoy calm trail rides. But she has this desire to run and wants to be fast all the time. It's a slow process. I also have a TB off the track gelding. He was to slow, no desire to run what so ever. Was retrained as a dressage horse and then a lesson horse before i got him for free. They are both only 11. My last is a POA who is 17 now. I pulled him out of his mother when born as he was stuck. Hes a brilliant white with small red specks. They are named, storm, cooper and jack. I live on a small farm in Indiana.
Platinum
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Tell me about your real horse(s), ill tell you about mine.

Post by Platinum »

My family owns a 10 year-old bay Standardbred gelding named Ajax that we adopted. He's very skittish and scared of new people he's never seen before, because his last owner abused him and hit him many times in the face. He's a wonderful horse, gaited and a nice ride although like one of Mega's horses he has a strong desire to run and even when he walks you can tell that his pace is quicker than other horses. We used to have a Shetland Pony but he was very old when we rescued him from a shelter and he died in January.
Ajax has just learned to accept me and my sisters riding him, so I guess you can say he's "green". Otherwise he's a sweetheart and I absolutely adore him.
Become a Patron!