The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

People Looking for Trainers (also how not to be scammed)

Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

People Looking for Trainers (also how not to be scammed)

Post by Baranduin Brewster »

I do enjoy training, it is fun to train a horse to its best, and see it do well in its discipline. I would have my training thread open much more often, except I get headaches dealing with owners. I'm sure, that I'm not the only one with this problem.

Some advice...

1. Please read the entire training post...

It is extremely frustrating to be asked multiple times, what is the cost of training, when that is clearly written in the trainers post (that you probably spent quite a bit of time on making). Not to mention the questions, how long will it take you in real life time and about how old will the horse be when finished.

Now, if you have a question about something that isn't covered by the post, then by all means ask it so it can be answered.

Periodically, review a trainer's main thread - things might of changed.

2. Follow directions

Directions are there for a reason

3. Forms

I use a form, to standardize and facilitate a more rapid experience...simply put, you cannot expect me to train your horse if I don't have the appropriate information, and it is unrealistic putting everything on hold, while you wait for an owner to give you that information.

4. Unrealistic Demands/Expectations

I get it, you want the best for you precious horse/foal.

Even if your not a trainer, and you prefer to send your horses away for training, you need to familiarize yourself with what a trained horse should look like (stats, age, etc.). Then you can match what your expectations to a trainer, that can produce those results regularly.

5. Prices

I understand, when your just starting out you don't have a lot of money. That is life, but expecting trainers to train for $3,000 is unrealistic...you have to understand what goes into the cost of training a horse: cost of feeding your animal, our time, cost of doing the training skills and many of us have purchased the player bonuses with real money. With that being said, shop around...be sure to look for examples.

6. Text/Chat Speak

I'm an adult (as are many players), and this just irritates me and I find it disrespectful...I'm fine with a LOL on occasion, but when you use chat/text speak (Examples: U for you, 2 for 2) extensively, it makes me feel like that I'm not worth the effort to be respectful and it can cause confusion.

How Not to be Scammed if your looking for a trainer

1. Look at the age of an account (if they have been a player for less than 6 months, then they probably cannot train in less than 5 yrs

Also, ask them to copy and paste their skills if their account is less than 6 months old. This will tell you if they have the ability to train said horses. (WillowSage)

2. Look at the trainers thread is it professional? Orderly? Has Examples?

3. Ask for examples and references

4. If they cant answer your questions they are most likely fake (Sandy)

Any more that I need to cover...
Last edited by Baranduin Brewster on Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Where the Best, Keeps Getting Better!
Eventing Account
Proud Breeder of: Walkaloosa & Sugarbush Draft
Farm Log, Training, Sales/Silent Auctions
Club Affiliations: Inhand Jumping Club & United Driving Breeders Club
sandyleigh79
Visit My Farm

Re: People Looking for Trainers

Post by sandyleigh79 »

I have to say you nailed this BB, prices are set for a reason, and I think minimum 20k for a trainer is a good price, like you said, the costs of feeding, time (real and play) not to mention our own horses miss out on training because we are busy training others, and asking a trainer over and over to train for you just makes you not want to public train anymore.
sandyleigh79
Visit My Farm

Post by sandyleigh79 »

I should also add, if you don't have the money for your horse to be trained than please don't ask for it to be trained, this has happened to me a few times and its very annoying getting stuck with unwanted horses ( could have trained 1 of my own instead) also not picking your horse up for days/weeks holds up space for others to be trained so please don't expect to hold horses for you.
Tisha
Visit My Farm

Post by Tisha »

*Nods*
As I charge a higher price (but not unreasonable), I don't really have much bad experiences when it comes to training.

I'll add something. Don't send your horses for training unless you want to compete them. It's a waste of a trainer's valuable time when they train a horse and see that it is wasting away. If a trainer has spent effort and time to change your horse's weight and temperament, it's beyond frustrating when they check on the horses they train to find it either very fat or very thin, with no competition records as well. (I check on the horses I train to see how they're doing)

Agrees with sandyleigh79.
Little_Cookie771
Visit My Farm

Post by Little_Cookie771 »

I have been pestered ( not to name them ) and I just sent the horse right back. Few minutes later they were begging, sadly we are partners and I can't refuse them. It does get annoying when they do leave their horses with you. I just have a horse from a person and they still haven't picked them up. In the end, the horse died and I am still continuing on with my training. I train slowly, but I have been given a 100% by the weekend. I don't work on a deadline! I train at my own speed and I hate it when I am disrespected.
( also sandy, sorry about asking you over and over to train my horses)
Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: People Looking for Trainers (also how not to be scammed)

How Not to be Scammed has been added for newer players
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Eventing Account
sandyleigh79
Visit My Farm

Post by sandyleigh79 »

Baranduin Brewster wrote:How Not to be Scammed has been added for newer players
I would like to add, if they cant answer your questions they are most likely fake
Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

sandyleigh79 wrote:
Baranduin Brewster wrote:How Not to be Scammed has been added for newer players
I would like to add, if they cant answer your questions they are most likely fake
Good one!
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Eventing Account
WillowSage
Visit My Farm

Post by WillowSage »

Baranduin Brewster wrote:
sandyleigh79 wrote: I would like to add, if they cant answer your questions they are most likely fake
Good one!
Also, ask them to copy and paste their skills if their account is less than 6 months old. This will tell you if they have the ability to train said horses.
Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

bumping this
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Eventing Account
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:52 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:52 pm