The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Unknown Global Breeds

meganamber
Visit My Farm

Re: Unknown Global Breeds

Post by meganamber »

Kingsley wrote:I've seen some shared interest in trying to recreate currently extinct/inactive game breeds, plus creating the first of these. Personally I'm considering starting a month-long contest for players to take on a breed they haven't heard of from Africa, Asia, or South America (considering most of our players are English-speakers, I figure this would be an educational challenge). Possibly just any breed with less than 100 horses in game (maybe 50, 25, 10, or 0 depending on difficulty people want). For simpler breed recipes, from "scratch" (store bought) would be interesting, but I think overall the idea would be to let everyone set their own difficulty level based on their skill level and just try to boost the number and knowledge of the least popular breeds in game. What are people's thoughts on this?

Side note: I gathered up internet articles on African/Asian/S. American rare breeds that are included in game, including Russian/Asian breeds, if anyone would like my stash lol.
I think this is a great idea!
DianaWarriorPrincess
Visit My Farm

Post by DianaWarriorPrincess »

Kingsley wrote:
DianaWarriorPrincess wrote:I was working to bring back the Cape Horse, Boerperd and Vlaamperd breeds from South Africa! :) But I'm deactivating shortly so I'm actually looking for up to 2 people to take this project for free, I have 2 separate breeding lines in progress and I can split them up between 2 people (or not) if there is an interest. Please ping me if you want them, the project is going really well actually.
This is a lovely goal. I'm sad to see you're deactivating, but that's life I suppose. I hope others can help you take this up. What is the timeline here? I'm currently breeding all of my herds down to more manageable levels of purebreds for storage, rather than keeping a lot of outcross animals too if they're not currently active herds. I'm also using my in-game savings for expansion in both active and storage accounts. I could have space for one of these South African breeds, or maybe one line? How many horses are we talking about?
Awesome! Thanks! :) I have one line of 5 parent breed horses to create Vlaamperds only, and a bigger herd (12 I think) capable of making Cape Horses, Boerperds and Vlaamperds.
Hilayla
Visit My Farm

Post by Hilayla »

Kingsley wrote:
Hilayla wrote:My current goal is the Manipuri Pony. Manipur is a province in India a little south of Tibet. Manipuris were the original polo ponies but modern rules have changed the height reqs of the horses so that they are no longer allowed to compete. When the English occupied India, they used to say that the Manipuri had iron hooves that never needed shoes. They are endangered in real life as well.
That's a wonderful goal. :) Are you trying from scratch, or using others' lines? A useful breed two, as it creates two other breeds on my list.

The overall idea would be that, within a month, you'd get one 5/5 Manipuri Pony from scratch or not from scratch either five 5/5 or 10 Manipuri Ponies overall. I'm considering "bonus" awards for avoiding high COI and trying to meet IRL breed standard, like having the proper colors or whatnot.

I definitely do need to consider player levels in this contest however, as the more difficult to create breeds would be difficult for experienced players, much less new players. So I might need to organize breed options by how many generations they are away from store bought or how rare the breeds that create them are, but difficulty is also somewhat subjective.
I'm starting from scratch. I'm still trying to work out how many horses of each of the founding breeds to get enough blood to keep coi down. The horses I've adopted so far aren't the best and a couple have reds but it just adds to the challenge of creating good horses. I've had my first pure Tarpan foal who unfortunately didn't turn out so great, and I'm waiting on my Tarpan x Prewalski foal but I think I need a few more horses. I'm going to have to start stalking the market for good adopted horses.

As for the contest, I would probably try to divide up the breeds into categories based upon how many different breeds you would need to create it. A simple cross needing only two or three breeds would be in different category than one requiring 10 breeds. I can't remember if you had mentioned doing it that way or not right my head at this moment. If starting from scratch you would need to create not just one horse of each breed but possible several because one wouldn't want to breed to closely. My mind is starting to try to math this out so I'm going end it here. :D
Shiva
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Shiva »

Kingsley wrote:
sharkeesha92 wrote:I think this sounds like fun. I don't know how useful I would be since I'm new, but I like this idea.
:) Everyone is welcome to join! I'm considering different "levels" relating to player levels/experience so the competition can be fair.
I have a dongalo I am using for breeding the western Sudan pony, im also working on yilis and national showhorses as far as small population horses go, thats all, I have some more projects with larger population breeds
Shiva
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Shiva »

Shiva wrote:
Kingsley wrote:
:) Everyone is welcome to join! I'm considering different "levels" relating to player levels/experience so the competition can be fair.
I have a dongalo I am using for breeding the western Sudan pony, im also working on yilis and national showhorses as far as small population horses go, thats all, I have some more projects with larger population breeds
On my alternate account I also bred an exmoor pony first try! I was pretty excited!
Hilayla
Visit My Farm

Post by Hilayla »

I have not even signed up for a second account yet. This one keeps me plenty busy so far. Of course I'm still reading all the help and guides since I haven't been here long.

Shiva, I'm not keeping that Exmoor, it's up for offers right now but if you want it, I could send it to you.
Kingsley
Visit My Farm

Post by Kingsley »

DianaWarriorPrincess wrote:
Kingsley wrote:
This is a lovely goal. I'm sad to see you're deactivating, but that's life I suppose. I hope others can help you take this up. What is the timeline here? I'm currently breeding all of my herds down to more manageable levels of purebreds for storage, rather than keeping a lot of outcross animals too if they're not currently active herds. I'm also using my in-game savings for expansion in both active and storage accounts. I could have space for one of these South African breeds, or maybe one line? How many horses are we talking about?
Awesome! Thanks! :) I have one line of 5 parent breed horses to create Vlaamperds only, and a bigger herd (12 I think) capable of making Cape Horses, Boerperds and Vlaamperds.
Thanks so much. :) Let me work on lowering my numbers and hopefully I can get back to you. I can definitely take the smaller line.
Kingsley
Visit My Farm

Post by Kingsley »

Hilayla wrote: I'm starting from scratch. I'm still trying to work out how many horses of each of the founding breeds to get enough blood to keep coi down. The horses I've adopted so far aren't the best and a couple have reds but it just adds to the challenge of creating good horses. I've had my first pure Tarpan foal who unfortunately didn't turn out so great, and I'm waiting on my Tarpan x Prewalski foal but I think I need a few more horses. I'm going to have to start stalking the market for good adopted horses.

As for the contest, I would probably try to divide up the breeds into categories based upon how many different breeds you would need to create it. A simple cross needing only two or three breeds would be in different category than one requiring 10 breeds. I can't remember if you had mentioned doing it that way or not right my head at this moment. If starting from scratch you would need to create not just one horse of each breed but possible several because one wouldn't want to breed to closely. My mind is starting to try to math this out so I'm going end it here. :D
Oh yes, I'd definitely want to make levels based on how difficult each breed would be to make. I wouldn't want newbie players accidentally taking on a really difficult breed b/c they don't know how difficult it would be. One thing I definitely need to do over the weekend is sort that out lol. I'm hoping I'll have everything ready by the 15th, but my health isn't great right now, so we'll see. In the least, everything will be ready to go for a month long challenge soon. :)
Kingsley
Visit My Farm

Post by Kingsley »

Shiva wrote:
Kingsley wrote:
:) Good luck with your projects. I'm sure you could definitely join in on the contest with the Western Sudan Pony and Yili.
Kingsley
Visit My Farm

Post by Kingsley »

Levels are determined only by book value (number of generations). Individual breeds within level may vary with difficulty otherwise. Level 1 would be store bought ($171), Level 2 would be a direct cross between store bought ($214), and we start from there in this competition. There was accidentally a low number Level 2 breed, the Ob ($213), which could be asked for if you are an incredibly new player.
AFRICA
LEVEL 3 ($297)
Riwoche

LEVEL 5 ($635)
Nigerian

LEVEL 6 ($846)
Poney Mousseye

LEVEL 8 ($1,267)
Cape Horse
Fleuva

LEVEL 9 ($1,689)
Basuto Pony