The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Horse Showing

Revenant
Visit My Farm

Horse Showing

Post by Revenant »

Ever since I came back from hiatus, my horses and ponies haven't been showing as well. I figured this was just because quality had increased in the meantime, which is true, but also it seems fewer people are making competition shows than before? It's harder and harder to Ch. even my good horses, often having to make all the competitions they enter that day. I notice this especially with my drafts (driving + log pull) and my racing horses (due to one-per-show, there's never enough shows to show them all). Because of this, it's also harder to make money.

I'm wondering if it's cost-efficient to be playing how I am, like I did at the beginning of the game, making rare breeds and so on. I still want to hold onto my rare horses, which cost money they don't always give back b/c I haven't been able to breed up their stats yet, but my purebreds of other breeds, like Thoroughbreds, need some kind of boost. Outside studs help, but yeah. Is it better to do local shows than train up horses so much for competition but then have so few competitions, can't break even with the time=money thing? In that case, I could raise them less for a broad discipline for sales for competition horses and just focus on training for whichever discipline they excel best in super quickly and do local, just hold onto my stock. :o

Any other suggestions? I know some of you super-serious players may have some good tips. Don't want any hand outs, but advice would be appreciated if you're willing to give it. :)
Farant
Visit My Farm

Re: Horse Showing

Post by Farant »

Revenant wrote:Ever since I came back from hiatus, my horses and ponies haven't been showing as well. I figured this was just because quality had increased in the meantime, which is true, but also it seems fewer people are making competition shows than before? It's harder and harder to Ch. even my good horses, often having to make all the competitions they enter that day. I notice this especially with my drafts (driving + log pull) and my racing horses (due to one-per-show, there's never enough shows to show them all). Because of this, it's also harder to make money.

I'm wondering if it's cost-efficient to be playing how I am, like I did at the beginning of the game, making rare breeds and so on. I still want to hold onto my rare horses, which cost money they don't always give back b/c I haven't been able to breed up their stats yet, but my purebreds of other breeds, like Thoroughbreds, need some kind of boost. Outside studs help, but yeah. Is it better to do local shows than train up horses so much for competition but then have so few competitions, can't break even with the time=money thing? In that case, I could raise them less for a broad discipline for sales for competition horses and just focus on training for whichever discipline they excel best in super quickly and do local, just hold onto my stock. :o

Any other suggestions? I know some of you super-serious players may have some good tips. Don't want any hand outs, but advice would be appreciated if you're willing to give it. :)
First of all, hello, I'm glad to see people coming back.

Log Pullers are horses with green and gold strength, it's hard to achieve. Driving is more friendly. I see even old horses who do well against mine (bred last week?), but stats decide the winner. I can't say anything about Racing, I had only one racing horse.

While I bred my horses, I never trained them and did only local shows. I'm sure you must have good horse with positive comments (= gold for me) before you decide to train it. Local shows will allow you to make money to show and test your horses AND do courses (lots of them!) to train horse faster. And PT for your own premium and your own shows.

I was not successful at selling my horses. But it's quite tricky to gain serious money from selling foals.
Revenant
Visit My Farm

Post by Revenant »

:) Hi.

True. Luckily I have American Cream Drafts, so their bodies are just made for those disciplines. While they actually continue to title (slowly, if I make competitions), it's been impossible to get that green or gold strength yet. I have at least gotten gold in a few stats in my racing horses, including stamina, so I'm hopeful that if I keep working there, they can be useful in a few disciplines in the racing umbrella (maybe endurance esp.).

This is probably a good idea tbh. I was doing a case-by-case basis of looking for certain hgp, a low number of any negative stats that have anything to do with the best disciplines for their breed, and so on. As is, I think I will severely cut back on any horses being used in competition during my breeding process until I get better polished stock. I was leaning toward this, but your response definitely helped me realize I do need to focus more on local. :)

Oh sure. I was just trying to do some basic training on good horses that I planned to sell later (broodmares esp) so that if anyone ever wanted to show them, they could, but yeaaaah probably currently a waste of my time ha. I will keep putting up competitions whenever I can though, I don't want other folks to struggle to find any available if they want to play that part of the game. Anyway, thanks for your input. :)
Farant
Visit My Farm

Post by Farant »

Revenant wrote::) Hi.

True. Luckily I have American Cream Drafts, so their bodies are just made for those disciplines. While they actually continue to title (slowly, if I make competitions), it's been impossible to get that green or gold strength yet. I have at least gotten gold in a few stats in my racing horses, including stamina, so I'm hopeful that if I keep working there, they can be useful in a few disciplines in the racing umbrella (maybe endurance esp.).

This is probably a good idea tbh. I was doing a case-by-case basis of looking for certain hgp, a low number of any negative stats that have anything to do with the best disciplines for their breed, and so on. As is, I think I will severely cut back on any horses being used in competition during my breeding process until I get better polished stock. I was leaning toward this, but your response definitely helped me realize I do need to focus more on local. :)

Oh sure. I was just trying to do some basic training on good horses that I planned to sell later (broodmares esp) so that if anyone ever wanted to show them, they could, but yeaaaah probably currently a waste of my time ha. I will keep putting up competitions whenever I can though, I don't want other folks to struggle to find any available if they want to play that part of the game. Anyway, thanks for your input. :)
It's not too hard, but it's sometimes not the best choice to give all you've got to one stat.

That's good! I started my own light line, if you're interested. Not for stats, but for looks. They're not bad.)

Keep in mind you will need good trained horse to work on local shows lvl10. Fully trained or close to it. So do not sell your trained horses without great need, they'll save you lots of money and time.

And when did I become super-serious player? :mrgreen:
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:29 pm

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:29 pm