The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Foals

regz46
Visit My Farm

Foals

Post by regz46 »

Hi everyone!

So I've just been breeding my mares and have a few foals now. I was just wondering, how do you guys sort through your newborn foals? I'm a bit lost as to which are the ones I should keep. Either for future breeding projects or which ones I should train. If it were up to me, I think I'd keep all. LOL

Also, I'm not sure if it's just me, but I find that I get more colts than fillies and I would really like more mares just so I can breed them and get the foals. Or am I going about this the wrong way?

And if you do have foals you do not want. What do you usually do with it? I've tried selling them, even at low prices but I don't seem to get buyers.

Hope to hear what are the varying methods of raising your foals! :)
vallers
Visit My Farm

Re: Foals

Post by vallers »

regz46 wrote:Hi everyone!

So I've just been breeding my mares and have a few foals now. I was just wondering, how do you guys sort through your newborn foals? I'm a bit lost as to which are the ones I should keep. Either for future breeding projects or which ones I should train. If it were up to me, I think I'd keep all. LOL

Also, I'm not sure if it's just me, but I find that I get more colts than fillies and I would really like more mares just so I can breed them and get the foals. Or am I going about this the wrong way?

And if you do have foals you do not want. What do you usually do with it? I've tried selling them, even at low prices but I don't seem to get buyers.

Hope to hear what are the varying methods of raising your foals! :)
The way I sort my foals is this, when i start with a new breed I breed what I have and keep the ones with no red stats. If you start with what's available in the marketplace from other players you can start with a better crop of horses to breed with. What you do is keep the best of each breeding cycle. Then you breed more with the best stallion you have. There seems to be a trend that there are more colts than fillies born. I just started working on improving some caspians for a project and I got 4 fillies and 12 colts.
regz46
Visit My Farm

Post by regz46 »

[quote="vallers"][/quote]

The way I sort my foals is this, when i start with a new breed I breed what I have and keep the ones with no red stats. If you start with what's available in the marketplace from other players you can start with a better crop of horses to breed with. What you do is keep the best of each breeding cycle. Then you breed more with the best stallion you have. There seems to be a trend that there are more colts than fillies born. I just started working on improving some caspians for a project and I got 4 fillies and 12 colts.

Right. That sounds very systematic. Thanks Vallers!
That's what I'm trying to do as well, but I think I'm a little bit of a hoarder and I'm like, "Oh should I get rid of this one? But what if I need it? What if it's the wrong choice?" Basically all the 'what ifs'

Yeah I've gotten rid of those with red stats, but the ones I have left I'm kinda like on the fence. Let I thought one would be better for racing since it's a downhill and the others might be better for this or that. Doooh too many choices!

Ah! So it isn't just me getting the feeling that there are more colts than fillies. Thanks!
regz46
Visit My Farm

Post by regz46 »

vallers wrote:
Right. That sounds very systematic. Thanks Vallers!
That's what I'm trying to do as well, but I think I'm a little bit of a hoarder and I'm like, "Oh should I get rid of this one? But what if I need it? What if it's the wrong choice?" Basically all the 'what ifs'

Yeah I've gotten rid of those with red stats, but the ones I have left I'm kinda like on the fence. Let I thought one would be better for racing since it's a downhill and the others might be better for this or that. Doooh too many choices!

Ah! So it isn't just me getting the feeling that there are more colts than fillies. Thanks!
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

I'm pretty ruthless. I don't keep any colts that are not better than stallions I already have. I can breed 100 colts and not keep a single one. I'm a bit more lax with mares, but they still must have a minimum number of useful traits -- I used to require green or gold in tempo, balance, and intelligence, but I was most recently working on conformation, so I required multiple conformation points that met my ideals.
regz46
Visit My Farm

Post by regz46 »

Argent wrote:I'm pretty ruthless. I don't keep any colts that are not better than stallions I already have. I can breed 100 colts and not keep a single one. I'm a bit more lax with mares, but they still must have a minimum number of useful traits -- I used to require green or gold in tempo, balance, and intelligence, but I was most recently working on conformation, so I required multiple conformation points that met my ideals.
Right. But it's kinda hard to tell if a colt is good or not before it's been fully trained isn't it? But maybe it's because you've been playing longer than I have and are better at telling them apart.

Thanks for your input though! :)
meaghanne2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by meaghanne2 »

[quote="regz46][/quote]

If I were you I would decide what you want your horses to do competition wise and then focus on that. I'm pretty much the same as argent' I hardly keep any Colts unless they are a step closer to what I'm going for. When I started I kept most of my fillies until I got my base herd.
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

regz46 wrote:Right. But it's kinda hard to tell if a colt is good or not before it's been fully trained isn't it? But maybe it's because you've been playing longer than I have and are better at telling them apart.

Thanks for your input though! :)
If his BR isn't better than the stallions I already have, it's highly unlikely that he'll be a better horse. No need to train him to prove it.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:49 pm

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:49 pm