The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

My colt graying faster than my mare, normal?

catersa
Visit My Farm

My colt graying faster than my mare, normal?

Post by catersa »

I know that all my horses have the genetics for graying because I see a gray cloud around them.

At 4 years old when Bella became pregnant, she had a vibrant bay with a gray face and some gray spots.

She is now 6 years and 10 months old and I don't really see an increase in graying so much as I see darkening around where the gray is and overall less vibrant color.

Is this darkening normal in a graying horse?

4 years old when pregnancy started
.46 years later when pregnancy is noticeable
5.5 years old and not pregnant anymore
Now at 6 years 10 months old

See what I mean by darkening?

And here is Alex at 4.5 years old:
And here is Alex now:

All I see here is darkening, no gray.

And my colt which I haven't named yet is already graying. I don't have pictures of him before 1 year 10.5 months but at 1 year 9 months old, he just looked like a bay colt, no darkening, no gray. Now at 1 year 10.5 months he already has gray rims around his eyes and I can already see darkening. Is this normal?

Raikit
Visit My Farm

Re: My colt graying faster than my mare, normal?

Post by Raikit »

catersa wrote:I know that all my horses have the genetics for graying because I see a gray cloud around them.
So I actually have no idea where that gray cloud is coming from. I've seen it in other players' photos but have never had it on any of my horses. But I do know that it doesn't have anything to do with the horse being gray.

Your mare is gray but the stallion is sooty bay. The sooty is what causes his darkening. And I'm not sure what you mean by darkening on your mare. When I look at her I see the same gray progression that my mare is going through, but on a bay coat instead of sooty smoky brown.

The colt also looks to be going through a normal graying process, but with fewer (if any) dapples.

The cloud may have something to do with what browser you're using? I think different browsers may render the pictures differently. If you look through the gallery on my mare you'll see the progression you should have seen on your mare. I honestly have no idea what's up with that cloud. :?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Raikit wrote:
catersa wrote:I know that all my horses have the genetics for graying because I see a gray cloud around them.
So I actually have no idea where that gray cloud is coming from. I've seen it in other players' photos but have never had it on any of my horses. But I do know that it doesn't have anything to do with the horse being gray.

Your mare is gray but the stallion is sooty bay. The sooty is what causes his darkening. And I'm not sure what you mean by darkening on your mare. When I look at her I see the same gray progression that my mare is going through, but on a bay coat instead of sooty smoky brown.

The colt also looks to be going through a normal graying process, but with fewer (if any) dapples.

The cloud may have something to do with what browser you're using? I think different browsers may render the pictures differently. If you look through the gallery on my mare you'll see the progression you should have seen on your mare. I honestly have no idea what's up with that cloud. :?
The cloud is linked to firefox (and in my opinion some versions of operating systems). I have it described in the newbies quick start guide and you can find a little more information in this post.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

BlackOak2 wrote: The cloud is linked to firefox (and in my opinion some versions of operating systems). I have it described in the newbies quick start guide and you can find a little more information in this post.
Interesting! I mostly figured it was a browser thing but had no idea it was linked to training as well.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:22 pm

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:22 pm