The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Gallery testing - coat colours

Totina
Visit My Farm

Gallery testing - coat colours

Post by Totina »

As most of you probably know, I created a coat colour guide with names and pictures for everyone to use as a reference when figuring out what colour a horse might be. Lately I have started to take a closer look at it in order to see if it needs improvement, which it definitely does, and I wanted to add more pictures and better ones (some are a little outdated for example).

I thought that I wanted to be able to share a lot more pictures but adding more and more links to the already messy list would just make it more difficult to find what you are looking for. The best way to display all the pictures would be similar to what I have kept on my computer; in folders where the pictures are sorted after the colours they have. I knew that dropbox would be somewhat of what I was looking for and I then found out that you can share folders with only a link to it, so I decided to try it and see if it works.

Now to the test, I want people to test if it actually works before I start to filling it up with new pictures (most of them that already exist are old ones and are also marked as "old_" in the beginning of their names). Just follow the link below and tell me if you can navigate through the folders and find the images that exist.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vk1f0nirkxer ... HI73a?dl=0
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Gallery testing - coat colours

Post by BlackOak2 »

Moves a little slow to load on my pc, but it seems to work just fine. I went through some of the folders to test and they all opened. I also like the way your guide-for-use is set up.
Although, my thoughts are... if you're unsure of your horse's color, this guide won't really help define it. It will only help define a color that you think it is. For instance, if you think it's champagne and not cream. But if you don't know where to start, you'd be opening folders forever, trying to hunt down some information. This would be used to offer in-depth information. Your original color guide would still be of use to offer a starting point. But that's my personal thoughts.

It also puts my study-of foal to adult coat gene coloration out of use. I could still create it and post it then you can certainly put it into your color guide however.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

It is meant to be a collection of images to use in combination with my colour guide but with more options and variations between horses with the same genes. You take a look in the original guide to see which colours might be the most plausible for your horse, then you can go into the whole gallery and compare your horse to even more pictures of the same colour and hopefully find an almost exact match.
Scythian
Visit My Farm

Post by Scythian »

Thank you for doing this work. :D I refer to the "old" chart often. One of the most helpful things about it is that each modifier is shown with all the the affected base colors, and related modifiers are grouped together. It's useful to compare/contrast Apricot with Palomino Pearl, for instance. The old closeups haven't been accessible to me for some time since Photo Bucket keeps insisting that AdBlock be disabled, and I refuse to do that.

The results I've been seeing with DropBox are uneven. Some images show a complete horse, but in others the horse's face is cut off at the muzzle. I don't know whether my browser is at fault here. Another thing is that DropBox has some way of preventing more than one tab to be open, so that slows down navigation. Still, it is so good to see these closeups again! :D
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

Scythian wrote:Thank you for doing this work. :D I refer to the "old" chart often. One of the most helpful things about it is that each modifier is shown with all the the affected base colors, and related modifiers are grouped together. It's useful to compare/contrast Apricot with Palomino Pearl, for instance. The old closeups haven't been accessible to me for some time since Photo Bucket keeps insisting that AdBlock be disabled, and I refuse to do that.

The results I've been seeing with DropBox are uneven. Some images show a complete horse, but in others the horse's face is cut off at the muzzle. I don't know whether my browser is at fault here. Another thing is that DropBox has some way of preventing more than one tab to be open, so that slows down navigation. Still, it is so good to see these closeups again! :D
That is strange. I am using adblock all the time and I don't have any problems with photobucket. Perhaps it has something to do with your web browser, as well as with the cut off faces of some horse images.

At least the link seems to work somewhat properly to let other people see the pictures that I have saved and I can begin to fill it up with new pictures.
Having two places to go to for images would also make it more accessible for people who might have problems with one or the other.
Farant
Visit My Farm

Post by Farant »

It's slow, but working. Images are fine so far. Thanks, it's really helpful!
{Elite Dressage Horses} - World Record level horses made to move like Jagger.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:17 am

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:17 am