Community Forum

Coloration appeared confusing, does anyone know what this is?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
SSpencer
Visit My Farm

Coloration appeared confusing, does anyone know what this is?

Post by SSpencer »

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3892191
In case it takes you to the farm page the horse is Silver Drew he is in the "Foal Pasture"
When he was a foal he appeared to be a cream, pearl, or even just white... As he has gotten older his legs have gotten a dark color coming up to a little above the knee, thanks for any help!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Coloration appeared confusing, does anyone know what this is?

Post by BlackOak2 »

SSpencer wrote:https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3892191
In case it takes you to the farm page the horse is Silver Drew he is in the "Foal Pasture"
When he was a foal he appeared to be a cream, pearl, or even just white... As he has gotten older his legs have gotten a dark color coming up to a little above the knee, thanks for any help!
Certainly doesn't look like a regular perlino (two creams on bay). Does have the silver gene (light mane and tail). Doesn't have champagne (so only a double dilute). Does have dun (faint stripes at the top of those darker legs as well as faint ankle flush). Theoretically, the dun could be enough to change his color from a 'regular' perlino.

I don't readily see any indications of pearl in the ancestry either. And there is an extensive line of pseudo-whites on both sides.

Plus, there appears to be pangare in your line as well.

So I'm going to say, double cream on bay with dun (and likely a cryptic version of pangare) and this combination is

On second thought, regardless of this gene combination, he's far too rich a color to be a double cream. I'm going to say, he's a cream & pearl with dun (and likely cryptic pangare) with silver.
So, something like Silver Buckskin Pearl Dun or Silver Dunskin Pearl. But exactly how far back that single pearl gene goes???? I didn't immediately find evidence of it.

One way to see if your colt is a pearl carrier, is to find a double pearl and breed the mare too him. The pair will always throw double-dilutes, however, if they ever throw a double pearl, then this means, he's a confirmed cream & pearl horse. That said, if he only ever throws cream & pearl babies (pearl is coming from mom), then it doesn't disprove that he has pearl, it just doesn't prove that he is absent of pearl.

You can also use a plain-base horse (chestnut, brown, bay, black - black could be smoky, so keep that in mind) and if he throws a plain horse (brown, bay, chestnut - black foals with cream are only identifiable by newborn pics or offspring), then you can also prove he's a pearl carrier.

Up to you if you want to go down that road for proof. :D

Also, another may have some further insight into (and go further back into the pedigree) him, then I gave.

Nice looking colt though, congrats. :mrgreen:
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
SSpencer
Visit My Farm

Post by SSpencer »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Certainly doesn't look like a regular perlino (two creams on bay). Does have the silver gene (light mane and tail). Doesn't have champagne (so only a double dilute). Does have dun (faint stripes at the top of those darker legs as well as faint ankle flush). Theoretically, the dun could be enough to change his color from a 'regular' perlino.

I don't readily see any indications of pearl in the ancestry either. And there is an extensive line of pseudo-whites on both sides.

Plus, there appears to be pangare in your line as well.

So I'm going to say, double cream on bay with dun (and likely a cryptic version of pangare) and this combination is

On second thought, regardless of this gene combination, he's far too rich a color to be a double cream. I'm going to say, he's a cream & pearl with dun (and likely cryptic pangare) with silver.
So, something like Silver Buckskin Pearl Dun or Silver Dunskin Pearl. But exactly how far back that single pearl gene goes???? I didn't immediately find evidence of it.

One way to see if your colt is a pearl carrier, is to find a double pearl and breed the mare too him. The pair will always throw double-dilutes, however, if they ever throw a double pearl, then this means, he's a confirmed cream & pearl horse. That said, if he only ever throws cream & pearl babies (pearl is coming from mom), then it doesn't disprove that he has pearl, it just doesn't prove that he is absent of pearl.

You can also use a plain-base horse (chestnut, brown, bay, black - black could be smoky, so keep that in mind) and if he throws a plain horse (brown, bay, chestnut - black foals with cream are only identifiable by newborn pics or offspring), then you can also prove he's a pearl carrier.

Up to you if you want to go down that road for proof. :D

Also, another may have some further insight into (and go further back into the pedigree) him, then I gave.

Nice looking colt though, congrats. :mrgreen:
Thank You! I really got a good deal with him lol, Ill probeblky breed him when he his older... Thank you for the information and suggestions
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

:D
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Diamond Filly
Visit My Farm

Post by Diamond Filly »

Hey, it looks like you bought that colt from me, but changed his name. If you remember what his name was, could you please replace it? More important is my brand of ~AmGrace~ that got removed.

I specifically said in his sale ad AND owner's comments NOT to change his name.

Thank you.
SSpencer
Visit My Farm

Post by SSpencer »

Diamond Filly wrote:
Hey, it looks like you bought that colt from me, but changed his name. If you remember what his name was, could you please replace it? More important is my brand of ~AmGrace~ that got removed.

Thank you.
Thank You for your message! I am not sure why his name was changed and the brand removed. Ill add the brand back right now but I cant remember the name that he had as a foal. If you can remember it can you comment on it, if not you can chose any name and ill have that one as his name. For now, he will only have the brand.
Diamond Filly
Visit My Farm

Post by Diamond Filly »

SSpencer wrote:
Diamond Filly wrote: Hey, it looks like you bought that colt from me, but changed his name. If you remember what his name was, could you please replace it? More important is my brand of ~AmGrace~ that got removed.

Thank you.
Thank You for your message! I am not sure why his name was changed and the brand removed. Ill add the brand back right now but I cant remember the name that he had as a foal. If you can remember it can you comment on it, if not you can chose any name and ill have that one as his name. For now, he will only have the brand.
Maybe somebody bought him from me and them flipped him and sold to you? I don't know. You can name him any name you want, just please keep his branding.

Thank you!
SSpencer
Visit My Farm

Post by SSpencer »

Diamond Filly wrote:
SSpencer wrote: Thank You for your message! I am not sure why his name was changed and the brand removed. Ill add the brand back right now but I cant remember the name that he had as a foal. If you can remember it can you comment on it, if not you can chose any name and ill have that one as his name. For now, he will only have the brand.
Maybe somebody bought him from me and them flipped him and sold to you? I don't know. You can name him any name you want, just please keep his branding.

Thank you!
Oc, I added the branding and ill figure out a name. Have a good night/day
Diamond Filly
Visit My Farm

Post by Diamond Filly »

SSpencer wrote:
Diamond Filly wrote: Maybe somebody bought him from me and them flipped him and sold to you? I don't know. You can name him any name you want, just please keep his branding.

Thank you!
Oc, I added the branding and ill figure out a name. Have a good night/day
Thank you for going to the trouble to fix this! I appreciate it.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:54 pm

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:54 pm