Community Forum

Help w/ Horse Champing

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
Appaloosa Mix Farms
Visit My Farm

Help w/ Horse Champing

Post by Appaloosa Mix Farms »

I just have some questions about champing a horse. I've read the articles here about body size/type, food, training etc. I've been trying so hard to compare my horse's stats with the articles, but I'm still not sure how to do it. I've been checking out the 'top horses' section and I have absolutely no idea how some of these are getting Supreme Master Grand Champion making hundreds of thousands of dollars and the horse is barely two years old!
Do they need to be fully trained before putting them in competitions?
Do I only need to train one certain aspect? And if so, how do I know what that is?
Does one type of horse eat something different than the other? The last article I read said 95% yellow corn. But what else? And why not 95% performance feed?
My latest TB seems to have great specs and before I began training, I tested him at level 10 competitions.
His "seemingly" best results:
Saddleseat 3rd Place 42.52
Pole Bending 4th Place 00:31.73
Working Ranch 4th Place 39.04.
Is this a good place to start with competitions? Is one better than another? Someone please help me and explain it to me like I'm in first grade lol. Any help is appreciated! :D
Here is my TB in question: https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/4115502
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Help w/ Horse Champing

Post by BlackOak2 »

Appaloosa Mix Farms wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:00 pm...
Champing or 'Titling' a horse isn't too difficult, but it can be long to explain (one of those easier done than said things). :lol:

I'll go over it one step at a time. Much of this may be review, but in order to hit every area, I'll do it this way. :D

Okay, so here's the basics.
First, titling a horse is defined as getting a horse to earn a title in a discipline. Mark, it's a 'title in a discipline and not earning in total enough points for a title. Horses earn titles in disciplines that they place in positions that earn points.

Second, the horse will earn more points the higher the horse places and also the number of horses in that competition.

Third, a horse does not need to be trained, in order to earn a title, however... it does make it a whole heap easier to train the horse first and then enter for champing.

Fourth, any horse of any on-paper stats can be champed in any competition, but of course, horses with more honed, overall stats for a specific discipline, make it easier to champ toward titles.

Those are the basics.
Now onward to some helpful hints.
1) Horse temperament does play a fairly significant impact on competitions. Although a horse with a temperament a far cry from the desired temperament of the discipline (think bombproof for sprint racing), still can earn titles fairly easily, as long as all other stats are much closer to the discipline values. Temperament will mean the difference between record breakers and only a good competition horse. So, it can ruin a horse for those records, but won't necessarily ruin a horse for good competition stats (think WPS % and confirming heart status).

2) Not all horses will perform perfectly with the same moveable stat values. As an example, if you have a very light horse with very thin weight and bombproof temperament in endurance, you may actually find that this horse does better with a thin weight instead. Likewise (as another example), some racing horses seem to do far better with a spirited temperament rather than a high strung temperament. These things do appear to be connected to genetics, so an entire bloodline may prove to be in the same realm (example: endurance, very light horse, thing weight and calm temperament). So let the bloodline be your guide and expand from there. A single turn adjustment may mean the difference between great times and record breaking times.

3) When you've found the perfect (or as close as you can get) scores, freezing the horse in a board account or sending the horse to a champ-er (assuming the champing account does not age the horses), will allow the horse to earn all the points they need and without aging at all, resulting in a 2-year-old that has a master supreme grand champion.

4) When titling horses, if you use your own hosted shows (single-hosted shows and not auto-reoccuring), if you put in 20 horses into that show, you can force the show to run in the next batch of shows. Using this tactic will allow you to gain points multiple times a day (however much time you want to force the shows to run) and also allows your primary titling horse to earn a larger amount of points. If you're quick about it, you can enter more than a hundred horses into the same show, forcing the horse to title multiple times with just that one competition (Grand Champion, Master Grand, etc.).

5) A horse does not need to be fully trained, one must only train the four stats (and sometimes only three stats) that are required for that discipline. The topic, Discipline Summary (found in the Help, Guides, sticky section), will tell you exactly what stats are evaluated for each discipline and also how many heavily they're evaluated (from first as the most important and the last as the least important). Any stat that doesn't appear here are not evaluated at all. Which means that any non-evaluated stat can be the worst red stat ever and never affect the horse in that discipline at all.

6) Feed may or may not affect competitions directly. But feed can change temperament, so having the right feed for every turn can allow you to help move your horse's temperament in the acceptable direction for the desired temperament. To keep it easy: High sugar will move a temperament upwards toward high strung. High fiber will move a temperament downwards toward bombproof. Highest sugar feed is corn, highest fiber feed is pasture grass.

7)Adjusting weight is down by adjusting feed percentages. 95% sugar will ensure your horse has plenty of energy (particularly for training), adjust temperament upwards and lose weight. Likewise, use pasture if you want to do the opposite (temperament downwards, gain weight). However, sometimes a horse won't have enough energy for training. It'* or miss, so sometimes it's helpful to pause training or add in some corn to help maintain energy usage. Aim for more than the requirement in the sugar bar and mow the pasture until the required daily percentage falls somewhere just below 100%

Finally.
Roman Emperor is just one point away from champion title in saddleseat. He's not going to be a record breaker, but champing him there looks like it's working out for you. As you continue to train him up and comp him there in that discipline, you'll start earning the titles you want.

Did I get everything? Does that help? Any more questions?
:mrgreen:
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Appaloosa Mix Farms
Visit My Farm

BlackOak2 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:54 pm
Appaloosa Mix Farms wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:00 pm...
Champing or 'Titling' a horse isn't too difficult, but it can be long to explain (one of those easier done than said things). :lol:

I'll go over it one step at a time. Much of this may be review, but in order to hit every area, I'll do it this way. :D

Okay, so here's the basics.
First, titling a horse is defined as getting a horse to earn a title in a discipline. Mark, it's a 'title in a discipline and not earning in total enough points for a title. Horses earn titles in disciplines that they place in positions that earn points.

Second, the horse will earn more points the higher the horse places and also the number of horses in that competition.

Third, a horse does not need to be trained, in order to earn a title, however... it does make it a whole heap easier to train the horse first and then enter for champing.

Fourth, any horse of any on-paper stats can be champed in any competition, but of course, horses with more honed, overall stats for a specific discipline, make it easier to champ toward titles.

Those are the basics.
Now onward to some helpful hints.
1) Horse temperament does play a fairly significant impact on competitions. Although a horse with a temperament a far cry from the desired temperament of the discipline (think bombproof for sprint racing), still can earn titles fairly easily, as long as all other stats are much closer to the discipline values. Temperament will mean the difference between record breakers and only a good competition horse. So, it can ruin a horse for those records, but won't necessarily ruin a horse for good competition stats (think WPS % and confirming heart status).

2) Not all horses will perform perfectly with the same moveable stat values. As an example, if you have a very light horse with very thin weight and bombproof temperament in endurance, you may actually find that this horse does better with a thin weight instead. Likewise (as another example), some racing horses seem to do far better with a spirited temperament rather than a high strung temperament. These things do appear to be connected to genetics, so an entire bloodline may prove to be in the same realm (example: endurance, very light horse, thing weight and calm temperament). So let the bloodline be your guide and expand from there. A single turn adjustment may mean the difference between great times and record breaking times.

3) When you've found the perfect (or as close as you can get) scores, freezing the horse in a board account or sending the horse to a champ-er (assuming the champing account does not age the horses), will allow the horse to earn all the points they need and without aging at all, resulting in a 2-year-old that has a master supreme grand champion.

4) When titling horses, if you use your own hosted shows (single-hosted shows and not auto-reoccuring), if you put in 20 horses into that show, you can force the show to run in the next batch of shows. Using this tactic will allow you to gain points multiple times a day (however much time you want to force the shows to run) and also allows your primary titling horse to earn a larger amount of points. If you're quick about it, you can enter more than a hundred horses into the same show, forcing the horse to title multiple times with just that one competition (Grand Champion, Master Grand, etc.).

5) A horse does not need to be fully trained, one must only train the four stats (and sometimes only three stats) that are required for that discipline. The topic, Discipline Summary (found in the Help, Guides, sticky section), will tell you exactly what stats are evaluated for each discipline and also how many heavily they're evaluated (from first as the most important and the last as the least important). Any stat that doesn't appear here are not evaluated at all. Which means that any non-evaluated stat can be the worst red stat ever and never affect the horse in that discipline at all.

6) Feed may or may not affect competitions directly. But feed can change temperament, so having the right feed for every turn can allow you to help move your horse's temperament in the acceptable direction for the desired temperament. To keep it easy: High sugar will move a temperament upwards toward high strung. High fiber will move a temperament downwards toward bombproof. Highest sugar feed is corn, highest fiber feed is pasture grass.

7)Adjusting weight is down by adjusting feed percentages. 95% sugar will ensure your horse has plenty of energy (particularly for training), adjust temperament upwards and lose weight. Likewise, use pasture if you want to do the opposite (temperament downwards, gain weight). However, sometimes a horse won't have enough energy for training. It'* or miss, so sometimes it's helpful to pause training or add in some corn to help maintain energy usage. Aim for more than the requirement in the sugar bar and mow the pasture until the required daily percentage falls somewhere just below 100%

Finally.
Roman Emperor is just one point away from champion title in saddleseat. He's not going to be a record breaker, but champing him there looks like it's working out for you. As you continue to train him up and comp him there in that discipline, you'll start earning the titles you want.

Did I get everything? Does that help? Any more questions?
:mrgreen:
Oh my goodness thank you so much! I was just confusing myself going from article to article! LOL. I recently found Silverine's excel chart and have been trying to match that with other guides, and they've been SUPER helpful but this answers several things that those could not!

Before, I was just fully training them and then entering them into any discipline for $10 or less and seeing how they placed from there. haha. I will keep working with my Roman Emperor.

Again, I appreciate you! :D :D
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Appaloosa Mix Farms wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:11 pm

Oh my goodness thank you so much! I was just confusing myself going from article to article! LOL. I recently found Silverine's excel chart and have been trying to match that with other guides, and they've been SUPER helpful but this answers several things that those could not!

Before, I was just fully training them and then entering them into any discipline for $10 or less and seeing how they placed from there. haha. I will keep working with my Roman Emperor.

Perfect!

In the future, when aiming for competition heart, you can use that practice for it. Entering a horse into hosted shows (player-made) and then seeing how they hold up against other horses, both overall and score (remember to make note of these separately), will give you an idea of what type a heart a horse has (if any).

There's a couple more guides that will help you in your future practices. When you're ready to tackle competition bloodlines, take another look at:
What Discipline Is My Grinder Horse? - This one will help you learn the body forms for the competitions at a glance. Very useful to start with finding most likely disciplines by the eye-look of the horse.

And:
The Hidden Competition Genes: All About Heart - maybe a bit more complicated, but once you got the other basics down, this one will fill in and answer the question 'Both of these horses look almost identical, even down to weight and temperament, so why does that one have much better scores than this one?'

Let us know if you get stuck again! 8-)
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Appaloosa Mix Farms
Visit My Farm

BlackOak2 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:12 pm
Appaloosa Mix Farms wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:11 pm

Perfect!

In the future, when aiming for competition heart, you can use that practice for it. Entering a horse into hosted shows (player-made) and then seeing how they hold up against other horses, both overall and score (remember to make note of these separately), will give you an idea of what type a heart a horse has (if any).

There's a couple more guides that will help you in your future practices. When you're ready to tackle competition bloodlines, take another look at:
What Discipline Is My Grinder Horse? - This one will help you learn the body forms for the competitions at a glance. Very useful to start with finding most likely disciplines by the eye-look of the horse.

And:
The Hidden Competition Genes: All About Heart - maybe a bit more complicated, but once you got the other basics down, this one will fill in and answer the question 'Both of these horses look almost identical, even down to weight and temperament, so why does that one have much better scores than this one?'

Thanks! One other question: On the topic of hosted shows, when I create an event, how can I get more than one of my horses to enter that event? Or do I need to use my side account horses to enter it? Was working on creating one, and it will not let me put but one in it.
Cypress Creek Test
Visit My Farm

Post by Cypress Creek Test »

Appaloosa Mix Farms wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:49 pm
BlackOak2 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:12 pm

Perfect!

And:

Thanks! One other question: On the topic of hosted shows, when I create an event, how can I get more than one of my horses to enter that event? Or do I need to use my side account horses to enter it? Was working on creating one, and it will not let me put but one in it.
Some shows only allow you to enter 1 horse per account. Technically you're not supposed to use second accounts to get around this restriction (max 2 horses per person), but at the moment certain disciplines won't run without extra intervention as they're pretty inactive. You're technically not supposed to but you probably won't get in trouble, especially with low purse comps.
➺The Second Line is owned and run by Cypress Creek Elites.
➺Sales Brand: [CCT]
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Here's the list of only one horse entry.

Endurance
Harness Racing
Racing
Saddleseat
Sprint
Steeplechase
Western Pleasure

If you use any other discipline than the one's I mentioned, you'll be fine to enter as many horses as you like.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:27 pm

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:27 pm