Community Forum

Can't get Boulonnais

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
Jaloesco
Visit My Farm

Can't get Boulonnais

Post by Jaloesco »

Hello!

I'm trying to breed a Boulonnais horse. I use Spanish Barb and Forest Horse x Arabian with 3+ Boulonnais Evaluation.

I probably got 200+ foals {no, it's not a joke :(}. But I never got Boulonnais. They were all Half Spanish Barb.

Is it that difficult to breed a Boulonnais horse or am I doing something wrong? :(
Cypress Creek Test
Visit My Farm

Re: Can't get Boulonnais

Post by Cypress Creek Test »

Jaloesco wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:54 pm Hello!

I'm trying to breed a Boulonnais horse. I use Spanish Barb and Forest Horse x Arabian with 3+ Boulonnais Evaluation.

I probably got 200+ foals {no, it's not a joke :(}. But I never got Boulonnais. They were all Half Spanish Barb.

Is it that difficult to breed a Boulonnais horse or am I doing something wrong? :(
You're probably running into issues with where specifically the evals are off standard. Could you link one of your breeding pairs?
➺The Second Line is owned and run by Cypress Creek Elites.
➺Sales Brand: [CCT]
Jaloesco
Visit My Farm

Post by Jaloesco »

Last edited by Jaloesco on Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cypress Creek Test
Visit My Farm

Did you ever eval the fail foals?
Jaloesco
Visit My Farm

Post by Jaloesco »

Cypress Creek Test wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:38 pm Did you ever eval the fail foals?
Yes, sometimes. They have 0-3.
Corvus
Visit My Farm

Post by Corvus »

Looks like your Spanish Barbs are really far off from the Boulannais standard in type. For the Boulannais, you need 65-85% pony type. Both of your Spanish Barbs are horse type. I'd try breeding Spanish Barbs that are at least rating into the pony type, but ideally, at least 60%.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

I don't specifically remember issues with this Boul breed... however, something suggests that maybe? I had some problems???

I am going to agree with Corvus. The arabians have too much horse in them. The great thing about that, is you can almost hands-down guarantee that they'll give you a light or very light foal. The bad thing is that they'll almost always give you a light or very light foal... and you need something far heavier.

I could suggest trying to aim for a forest horse that's already heavy to begin with and breed down your forest x arab mixes more into the medium range. If you use the same heavier forest, or a grade to bring down the arabs first and then cross it to a forest, you'll have far better luck at it.

Your aim will be to breed-out the stickiness of the light in the arab.

In particular, this one: https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/4131387 is really bad with it.
And since Spanish Barbs are ripe with arabian throughout all of their recipe breeds, they also tend to be really stick with the light body type.

Does that make more sense now? :D
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Jaloesco
Visit My Farm

Post by Jaloesco »

Cypress Creek Test, Corvus, BlackOak2, thank you, I'll try to use your advice :)
Cypress Creek Test
Visit My Farm

I would also like to mention that the ratios in the crosses do not matter, as long as all of the correct breeds are present. You could do a 75% Forest 25% Arab mix instead, to try and get it closer to the standard you're aiming for.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:35 am

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:35 am