Community Forum

BREED HELP

L U N A
Visit My Farm

BREED HELP

Post by L U N A »

Hi! I recently started to try and breed rarer breeds, however when doing the crosses - for example a Chincoteague it says
(Shetland Pony x Welsh Pony) x (Arab x Spanish Barb)

I assumed that meant to first cross breed an 100% Shetland and Welsh to get a 50/50, as well as breeding an 100% Arab and Spanish Barb to get a 50/50, then breed those two together. I did that and I received an 100% Grade foal, so now i am curious what i did wrong!!!
Horsechronicles12
Visit My Farm

Re: BREED HELP

Post by Horsechronicles12 »

L U N A wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:06 am Hi! I recently started to try and breed rarer breeds, however when doing the crosses - for example a Chincoteague it says
(Shetland Pony x Welsh Pony) x (Arab x Spanish Barb)

I assumed that meant to first cross breed an 100% Shetland and Welsh to get a 50/50, as well as breeding an 100% Arab and Spanish Barb to get a 50/50, then breed those two together. I did that and I received an 100% Grade foal, so now i am curious what i did wrong!!!
Sometimes. Those breeds crossed will make more than 1 breed. I hate when that happens too.
Cypress Creek Test
Visit My Farm

Post by Cypress Creek Test »

It depends on the foal's evaluation. Your horse probably didn't eval well enough for the breed you were trying to make. If the Arab part of your mix included a very tall Arab, that might be where you went wrong.
Also, crosses do not need to be the exact 50/50 split- as long as just the correct breeds are present it shouldn't be an issue!
➺The Second Line is owned and run by Cypress Creek Elites.
➺Sales Brand: [CCT]
L U N A
Visit My Farm

Post by L U N A »

Cypress Creek Test wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:04 am It depends on the foal's evaluation. Your horse probably didn't eval well enough for the breed you were trying to make. If the Arab part of your mix included a very tall Arab, that might be where you went wrong.
Also, crosses do not need to be the exact 50/50 split- as long as just the correct breeds are present it shouldn't be an issue!
Thank you!! Ill play around with my Arab side more, they are all under 15.2hh so its intresting that i have 11hh grade horses now. Ugh, I wish i knew that before i spent 600k for purebreds and exact splits :lol: !!
Corvus
Visit My Farm

Post by Corvus »

It definitely helps to have the breed book so you can check how close your horses are. They're going to be rated on height, size, and type, and all three need to be within range. It can be tricky, especially if one of the breeds that goes into it is really far off, but it can still be done.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:35 am

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:35 am