Community Forum

Smoky Black?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Re: Smoky Black?

Post by Nazarach »

BlackOak2 wrote: From my work with the silver gene, blacks that get the dapple are not connected to whether they have one silver gene or two.

I've also experienced a random offering of heavy dapples to very light dapples to 'nonexistent' dapples (I did a study for myself that I posted for the community, I have a link in my log). However, I do believe that you can produce a silver black line without dapples if you work toward it by breeding minimum dappled horses to others with the same look. Just like we can have a line of very brightly colored bays or dark colored chestnuts.

Also, you're correct about her color.
Ok, I wasn't sure about that - it was only, often when there was a posibility for them to be Z/Z so i thought it was because of that; and I'll definitly give your study a look at a later point in time ^^
Also, I do hope her dapples will stay at a minimum, because I do like her otherwise ^^'
And thanks for confirming my guess on her :D
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Nazarach wrote:
Ok, I wasn't sure about that - it was only, often when there was a posibility for them to be Z/Z so i thought it was because of that; and I'll definitly give your study a look at a later point in time ^^
Also, I do hope her dapples will stay at a minimum, because I do like her otherwise ^^'
And thanks for confirming my guess on her :D
You're welcome.
I can't speak on dapples caused by sooty, but dapples caused by the silver gene, once they appear at a year, they don't really change, what I mean is, they won't get lighter or darker (at least I've never had them do so), unless there is another gene at play. For instance, leopard complex will make them brighter for awhile in certain areas until they begin to disappear because of leopard varnish. Graying will also make them appear brighter until they completely disappear.

So what you see, is what she'll have (for the most part) throughout her life, unless there is a progressive gene at play (or perhaps because she's also carrying the sooty dapples gene, in which case, I don't know what'll happen).
Jayde2202
Visit My Farm

Post by Jayde2202 »

I think he's a black dun
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:17 pm

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:17 pm