Community Forum

Dilluted Foal

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Dilluted Foal

Post by Nazarach »

And one little dillute again... Trying to get an apricot champagne like the sire but I'm pretty sure she isn't one :/ For now I'd go with Brown Pearl Champagne (or smoky brown pearl champagne?) but I'd appreciate some input ^^'

Awai Tetsu
Aela
Visit My Farm

Re: Dilluted Foal

Post by Aela »

Nazarach wrote:And one little dillute again... Trying to get an apricot champagne like the sire but I'm pretty sure she isn't one :/ For now I'd go with Brown Pearl Champagne (or smoky brown pearl champagne?) but I'd appreciate some input ^^'

Awai Tetsu
Are you sure the sire is Apricot Champagne? To me, he looks like a Silver Brown Pearl Champagne (E_ Ata PRL/PRL CH/n Z/n). I've had a Silver Bay (Possibly brown, I was never quite sure) Pearl Champagne that looked very similar once

But I agree with you that the foal is one of the two colours you mentioned. Only way to tell the difference at the moment would be if he wasn't tiger eye :)
Realistic Breed Project
Pssst, take a look below!

Aegidienberger Project, 2015 - 2018
Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Baranduin Brewster »

Aela wrote:
Nazarach wrote:And one little dillute again... Trying to get an apricot champagne like the sire but I'm pretty sure she isn't one :/ For now I'd go with Brown Pearl Champagne (or smoky brown pearl champagne?) but I'd appreciate some input ^^'

Awai Tetsu
Are you sure the sire is Apricot Champagne? To me, he looks like a Silver Brown Pearl Champagne (E_ Ata PRL/PRL CH/n Z/n). I've had a Silver Bay (Possibly brown, I was never quite sure) Pearl Champagne that looked very similar once

But I agree with you that the foal is one of the two colours you mentioned. Only way to tell the difference at the moment would be if he wasn't tiger eye :)
The sire is definitely a Apricot Champagne, the foal looks like a Sable Cream Pearl (I'm not seeing evidence of silver), but it would be best to age him up to 1 year to confirm.
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Where the Best, Keeps Getting Better!
Eventing Account
Proud Breeder of: Walkaloosa & Sugarbush Draft
Farm Log, Training, Sales/Silent Auctions
Club Affiliations: Inhand Jumping Club & United Driving Breeders Club
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

Baranduin Brewster wrote:
Aela wrote:

The sire is definitely a Apricot Champagne, the foal looks like a Sable Cream Pearl (I'm not seeing evidence of silver), but it would be best to age him up to 1 year to confirm.
ok, that I will do ^^' and thanks for your answers :)
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

Baranduin Brewster wrote:.
Aela wrote:.
So, one can never know - seems the sire is not an apricot champagne... (though I'm unsure what he is then - help please?) cause my palomino mare bred to him just dropped this foal

So he can't be chestnut because the foal wouldn't show the agouti brown/bay, can this change the assumption till now and make her an apricot?
Aela
Visit My Farm

Post by Aela »

Nazarach wrote:
So, one can never know - seems the sire is not an apricot champagne... (though I'm unsure what he is then - help please?) cause my palomino mare bred to him just dropped this foal

So he can't be chestnut because the foal wouldn't show the agouti brown/bay, can this change the assumption till now and make her an apricot?
Hmmm, I still think the sire is Silver Brown Pearl Champagne

Bronzen Chrysanthea is phenotypically brown, but carrying pearl from the sire

That would make Awai Tetsu either Brown Pearl Champagne or Smoky Brown Pearl Champagne (as you said). My guess out of the two is Brown Pearl Champagne. I just looked through my little colour library as well and found a Brown Pearl Champagne that looks exactly like Awai Tetsu. I also found the foal coats for both Smoky Brown Pearl Champagne and Brown Pearl Champagne - and I think it's safe to say Smoky Brown Pearl Champagne can be ruled out.

I'll see if I can find a way to link the photos for reference, but I suck at technology soooo...
Realistic Breed Project

Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Baranduin Brewster »

Nazarach wrote:

The sire is Apricot Champagne...the reason your foal isn't showing pearl is that pearl requires at least one cream gene or two pearl genes to show...he does carry 1 pearl and can pass on one pearl, he just cannot show it.

Too me Tempered light looks like a smoky cream champagne pearl, not a brown based pear....I would expect some yellow to show up on the muzzle if she was brown based.
Last edited by Baranduin Brewster on Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Where the Best, Keeps Getting Better!
Eventing Account
Proud Breeder of: Walkaloosa & Sugarbush Draft
Farm Log, Training, Sales/Silent Auctions
Club Affiliations: Inhand Jumping Club & United Driving Breeders Club
Aela
Visit My Farm

Post by Aela »

Nazarach wrote:

The sire is Apricot Champagne...the reason your foal isn't showing pearl is that pearl requires at least one cream gene or two pearl genes to show...he does carry 1 pearl and can pass on one pearl, he just cannot show it.
But Apricot Champagne is red-based, which would make a brown (1x pearl) foal impossible since the dam is palomino

The sire has to be dominant extension
Realistic Breed Project

Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

Aela wrote:
But Apricot Champagne is red-based, which would make a brown (1x pearl) foal impossible since the dam is palomino

I know, that is why I asked what the sire could be then... I'm totally confused cause I was - like baraduin - sure the sire could only be apricot (well, he looks it too) but the brown foal cancels that notion pretty well...
Aela
Visit My Farm

Post by Aela »

Nazarach wrote:
Aela wrote:

I know, that is why I asked what the sire could be then... I'm totally confused cause I was - like baraduin - sure the sire could only be apricot (well, he looks it too) but the brown foal cancels that notion pretty well...
Exactly!

I found my Silver Bay Pearl Champagne. He doesn't look as similar to Hyo Tetsu as I remembered, but that may be because of the difference in base colour (and that one has a tiger eye, the other does not)

If not silver-something, what do you think Hyo Tetsu is? I'm very confused as well..
Realistic Breed Project

Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:55 am

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:55 am