Visit My Farm

Re: Quest Breeding Guide

Post by MaryAkatsuki »

Thank you @BlackOak2
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Hello! I'm not sure if here's the place to ask, so if there's a better forum please let me know.

If you attempt for one of the breeds and get a half breed instead, does that mean that the horses don't evaluate well enough? For context I'm trying to do a Cleveland bay. I have Thoroughbreds and Arabian/Barb horses, but I always end up with a Half thoroughbred instead of a Bay. I'm breeding with horses that have 4 star evals for the breed.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

EclipticEnd wrote:Hello! I'm not sure if here's the place to ask, so if there's a better forum please let me know.

If you attempt for one of the breeds and get a half breed instead, does that mean that the horses don't evaluate well enough? For context I'm trying to do a Cleveland bay. I have Thoroughbreds and Arabian/Barb horses, but I always end up with a Half thoroughbred instead of a Bay. I'm breeding with horses that have 4 star evals for the breed.
A lot of it is luck-of-the-draw, even with parents that eval well and especially for breeds that are a mix of two very different horses. TBs and [ArabxNAB]s aren't as different as some of the crosses, but you also have the inherit uncertainty of using a crossbred itself in the recipe. And sometimes you just get really unlucky and keep popping failures even though everything seems like it should go well.

After looking at your stock, it appears to me as though you might have particular difficulty getting the correct build and horse-ness ratio. Arabians are always going to skew things super light and super horsey (unless you find an Arab line like BlackOak's that is specifically bred to be the opposite). NABs, on the other hand, are not as light and not as horsey. So instead of using a 50-50 ArabxNAB with a TB it would probably be better to take the 50-50, breed it to a somewhat heavier NAB, and then breed the resulting offspring to an appropriate TB.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Silverine wrote:After looking at your stock, it appears to me as though you might have particular difficulty getting the correct build and horse-ness ratio. Arabians are always going to skew things super light and super horsey (unless you find an Arab line like BlackOak's that is specifically bred to be the opposite). NABs, on the other hand, are not as light and not as horsey. So instead of using a 50-50 ArabxNAB with a TB it would probably be better to take the 50-50, breed it to a somewhat heavier NAB, and then breed the resulting offspring to an appropriate TB.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll try that out.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 1:38 pm

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 1:38 pm