Community Forum

Color Study ('plume' mane - odd pale/two-toned manes)

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Gaagii
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Color Study ('plume' mane - odd pale/two-toned manes)

Post by Gaagii »

Veterinarian wrote:
Gaagii wrote:
Yep. I tried them when they were available for stud with some of my "plumes" and they didn't do anything, hence why I questioned what was up about them.
Well I am glad you figured it out :lol:

Btw I have a few questions if you do not mind answering lol

Is it possible for horses to only have limited expression of the plume gene on only a section of their tails?

In real life when a horse has the plume gene on his tail, the plume does not always start from the very top of his tail but sometimes is limited at the end of his tail. I have seen a few horses here that do that (just white on only the middle of their tail) but I still am wary of it being just the tobiano gene.

Maybe this is question is off topic but I have seen many horses (usually Chestnut horses, palomino actually) have white/blue/dark strikes on their hair

An example of the white strikes of hair is this horse http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/476875
Take a look at his 1.97 year picture if you also see his offsprings (and their offsprings etc) you will see all of the colours I mentioned above.
Some horses actually are born with white strikes then as they grow the strikes become blue and the black.
In real life, the Gulastra plume is an odd miscolored tail on a bay horse. The only real change is the intensity of the discoloring. http://equinetapestry.com/2012/11/gulastras-plume/

The "plume" on the game seems to follow the general take of the Gulastra plume in how it's displayed so no I haven't seen any with coloring on only part of the tail. That is likely the tobiano markings or as BlackOak mentioned from the leopard (lp) complex.
Occasional Purchaser of Upgrades/Pony Tokens (temporarily closed)
Plume Horse Association
ZaRHBR Member, MRA Member

Gaagii (#88314) & Craven (#88478)
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Gaagii wrote:
Thanks a bunch for the info. I've been entertaining a similar idea in the back of my mind & that's why I want to try brown as I see brown as been the "final test" if you would.

The only thing is this is the odd "flaxen chestnuts" that sometimes crop up. If it was red, unless I'm too tired to think clearly (it's 3am here), shouldn't the whole body discolor?
But it doesn't discolor a bay's whole body, does it? It only discolors the red hairs that bleed into the mane, tail, and lower legs. So if it does affect chestnut it should behave the same way.
Gaagii
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Gaagii »

Silverine wrote:
Gaagii wrote:
Thanks a bunch for the info. I've been entertaining a similar idea in the back of my mind & that's why I want to try brown as I see brown as been the "final test" if you would.

The only thing is this is the odd "flaxen chestnuts" that sometimes crop up. If it was red, unless I'm too tired to think clearly (it's 3am here), shouldn't the whole body discolor?
But it doesn't discolor a bay's whole body, does it? It only discolors the red hairs that bleed into the mane, tail, and lower legs. So if it does affect chestnut it should behave the same way.
Lol. True. Like said it was 3am when I made that post.
Plume Horse Association

Gaagii
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Gaagii »

So I'm sure people are wondering is there any way to identify plume in horses outside of what I've been working on. I think mostly you gotta be observant.

And I wanna use a mare I even questioned though she came from plume background. Background wise, *no plume means no obvious plume here:
Dame *no plume - Sire *no plume (sire plume/dame *no plume) / dame plume (sire plume/dame plume)
Sire plume - Sire plume (sire plume/dame plume) / dame plume (sire plume/dame plume)

So, in essence, showing such a faint plume it could be mistaken as no plume.

Image > lighter mane vs tail

Even if I mistook her for no-plume her plume is verified by her foals

This is her mother

This is a horse grabbed off the market to compare

2nd market horse
As you can see the dame of the 1st horse with the very faint plume she has a discolored tail compared to the two market horses without a known plume.
Plume Horse Association

Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Gaagii wrote:
Silverine wrote: But it doesn't discolor a bay's whole body, does it? It only discolors the red hairs that bleed into the mane, tail, and lower legs. So if it does affect chestnut it should behave the same way.
Lol. True. Like said it was 3am when I made that post.
That's okay. I was just making sure of the behavior. :D
Gaagii
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Gaagii »

So here's some progressively darkening horses with plume.

3 years Image
20 years Image

And the son.
3 years Image
16 years Image
Plume Horse Association

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

It's not surprising that sooty covers it consistently like sooty covers everything else but white (and graying).
I do still find it interesting that it appears to push the plume further up the mane and down the tail. It's not actually doing that, but it's a neat progression.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Gaagii
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Gaagii »

BlackOak2 wrote:It's not surprising that sooty covers it consistently like sooty covers everything else but white (and graying).
I do still find it interesting that it appears to push the plume further up the mane and down the tail. It's not actually doing that, but it's a neat progression.
Yeah. What I'd like is a heavily marked plume like this guy with sooty to see how it'd look. Most sooty horses aren't the best marked plumes

or this guy who is one of my best marked
Plume Horse Association

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Gaagii wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:It's not surprising that sooty covers it consistently like sooty covers everything else but white (and graying).
Yeah. What I'd like is a heavily marked plume like this guy with sooty to see how it'd look. Most sooty horses aren't the best marked plumes

Oh, WOW! :shock:
Seriously silver mane and tail!

Suddenly reminded me of why we call male gorilla's 'Silverbacks'.

Which makes me suddenly wonder if this is a style of aging that our admins applied. Like we get white hair when we grow older, but there are people that start developing white hair when they're still quite young. Something like that though, I'd expect it to start around the nose rather than in the tail and mane hairs and on the legs. So likely not, after all, it's not progressive, nor does it start showing up when these horses are really old. Just a random, stray thought. That's all.

Anyway.
That is a gorgeous all-encompassing plume. That would certainly be interesting to see on sooty.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Gaagii
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Gaagii »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Gaagii wrote:

Oh, WOW! :shock:
Seriously silver mane and tail!

Suddenly reminded me of why we call male gorilla's 'Silverbacks'.

Which makes me suddenly wonder if this is a style of aging that our admins applied. Like we get white hair when we grow older, but there are people that start developing white hair when they're still quite young. Something like that though, I'd expect it to start around the nose rather than in the tail and mane hairs and on the legs. So likely not, after all, it's not progressive, nor does it start showing up when these horses are really old. Just a random, stray thought. That's all.

Anyway.
That is a gorgeous all-encompassing plume. That would certainly be interesting to see on sooty.
It would be

I'm not sure if that 2nd one though is LP enhanced actually (as the dame is plume + leopard) and he may be too young (1.7 years) or poorly marked to show lp itself.

Dame Image
Plume Horse Association

Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sun May 19, 2024 7:13 pm

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 7:13 pm