Community Forum

What Makes a Breed?

Join us today and Sunday for a questions and answers weekend. Anyone can submit a question and we'll answer quickly.
Argent
Visit My Farm

What Makes a Breed?

Post by Argent »

You thoroughly answered my question as to how breeds are created over at GameFruit, and it occurred to me that the method factors in only ancestry and not color, traits (strength/agility/etc.), gaits, and physical appearance. Do any of these influence... breed-ness?
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Re: What Makes a Breed?

Post by larissar »

You are correct none of those factor in creating a new breed with the exception of height. This is why we'll have registries. Just because a horse is of X breed doesn't necessarily mean he is a good example of X breed. A registered and Approved horse is a better choice for breeding as he most likely is a good representative of the breed. Most horse breeds as we know them now are quite different from how they historically began. We wanted to implement the breeds this way as it gives players a community-wide goal of improving a breed so that it's population better resembles what it would be in reality.

I haven't decided the details just yet but I'd like to have some kind of Population Summary for each breed which would be a kind of report of the whole population of registered horses and rate how closely the breed, as a whole, matches what the registry states the breed should be. This would give players an idea of how much work might be involved with each breed to improve the breed. So if a player is bored with a breed they can choose a more challenging one to focus on instead.
Animehuntress181
Visit My Farm

Post by Animehuntress181 »

I really enjoy the detail you can have but will you be explaining in detail with pictures the differences of form and conformations? I know thoroughbreds (in the US) are deep chested slender usually average 16 hands leggy with a thin neck and a long nose but generally average to small head. European Thoroughbred are still deep chest and leggy but have a thick neck and look heavier. That's about all I know, and it is pretty difficult for me to be able to figure out what a deep chest looks like. The slender was easy to figure but the rest was touch and go, I just wanted to see how close I could come on my own to Thoroughbred and Arabian Breeds. I don't think I did well So I'm hoping there will be a thorough walkthrough.
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Post by larissar »

Yes absolutely we'll have a full guide to help everyone understand the genetics behind everything. Each breed registry will have sample images depicting what the breed should look like.
Argent
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

And there will be a way to compare each horse to the breed standard? Like some sort of detailed report upon inspection?
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Post by larissar »

Yes that will be a big part of the registries to have your horse evaluated and give you a summary of how well it represents the breed. You'll be able to use that information to make choices as to which horses to breed together for the best results.
Argent
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

Could a new breed be created without crossing breeds if it was substantially different from its ancestors -- like a very tall Shetland, or a very short Belgian?

On GF you mentioned that not every cross of the appropriate breeds will create a new breed. Is there a way to improve the chances of a cross producing the desired breed?
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Post by larissar »

New breeds would have to be listed as Mixed Breed on the horses profile in order to be used for registering as a new breed, however you could breed a very tall shetland, or very small belgian and then just cross with another breed to get a mixed breed, and use them to found the new breed registry. To be honest it would be very difficult to get a very tall shetland or very short belgian without crossing to other breeds anyway.

To increase your chances of getting the breed you are looking for when crossing two horses which are capable of producing multiple different breeds you'll have to look at the breeds profile (we'll have a big help section) and take note of the height and build of the breed you're aiming for. Then try to cross horses which are of similar height and build, in order to increases your chances of the foal being within the height and build parameters of the breed you want.
Argent
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

How common were unique, player-created breeds on the original HWO? Were any of them popular?
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Post by larissar »

This is actually a new feature in this version of the game. In the old version it was very common for players to create their own distinct lines within each breed, but actually being able to register them is a new feature.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:17 pm

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:17 pm