Community Forum

Operation: Let's have a real-life Knabstrupper! Current Stage: BABY IS HERE

Mlloftus
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Take a journey with Silverine. Operation: Let's have a real-life Knabstrupper!

Post by Mlloftus »

OMG So cute!!!!! :D
Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
~W.C. Fields
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Take a journey with Silverine. Operation: Let's have a real-life Knabstrupper!

Post by Silverine »

I think that's actually her yearly sunburn. :oops: I'm usually good about keeping sunscreen on it, but as I haven't been up there it's gotten a bit out of hand.
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Update
I completely forgot to let you guys know that I spoke with the vet!

I misunderstood what he told me after she first got there - she did cycle on time, but her uterus didn't respond the way it was supposed to and develop edema like it usually would. Because of that the vet didn't think she would catch if bred on that cycle and decided to let that one run its course and induce a new one. (A new heat can't be induced until at least 5 days post-ovulation.)

Mojo was given a shot to start her cycling last Wednesday. The shot usually takes 3-5 days to induce a heat cycle, and then they're usually breedable at 7-9 days after that point. So best case she'll be breedable around Friday this week, but most likely it'll be Monday-Wednesday of next week. Then I should be able to bring her home either Thursday or Friday. Assuming everything goes well. But you guys have all seen my luck so far. :lol:

If anyone's interested in reading about inducing heat in mares this page is extremely informative and not at all graphic, though it uses a lot of big science words. The third paragraph is the one talking about what my vet is doing with Mojo.

On a side note, I personally think Mojo didn't cycle well last time because of stress from the old place coupled with the stress of moving to a new place. She had good edema at all of her other checks, so it makes sense that the extra stress could have caused it. Or maybe it was a fluke. Either way, she was super hyped up when we first got there, kept circling in her stall and wouldn't stand still for me to get her sheet off. She was a different horse when I visited on Saturday, completely chill, snuffling around for any hay she missed, enjoying the brushing I gave her, and letting nothing distract her from the treats in my pocket once she realized they were there. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she does well this time.
Last edited by Silverine on Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

:O

I had a dream, last night, of spots falling from the skies. When I awoke, I realized I had left my window open and I was getting drizzled on.

That didn't actually happen, but I thought it was a nice image. :P
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Update!
(And an exciting one!)
The stallion's 'box' is in the mail! It will arrive overnight for some special time with Mojo tomorrow. :D

That means she will hopefully be home some time before the weekend, and we'll schedule an ultrasound for the 21st - two weeks from tomorrow! Everybody keep their fingers crossed that things go to plan this time! :mrgreen:
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Jiggity Jig! :P
Do the jig, Mojo!
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Update
Oh my god, guys, I'm so upset. FedEx lost the FREAKING shipment. Mojo ovulated earlier today so there's no chance we'll make it this cycle, even if the shipment shows up tomorrow. TT_TT

I asked the vet what he recommended and he said to leave her at the repro barn. He'll give her another shot in 6 days and should be trying again about 6 days after that.

I spoke with the stallion owner and we're filing a claim with FedEx and will look at possibly sending two shipments next time - one with FedEx and one with UPS.
Freeze Mackenzie02
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Freeze Mackenzie02 »

Silverine wrote:
Update
Oh my god, guys, I'm so upset. FedEx lost the FREAKING shipment. Mojo ovulated earlier today so there's no chance we'll make it this cycle, even if the shipment shows up tomorrow. TT_TT

I asked the vet what he recommended and he said to leave her at the repro barn. He'll give her another shot in 6 days and should be trying again about 6 days after that.

I spoke with the stallion owner and we're filing a claim with FedEx and will look at possibly sending two shipments next time - one with FedEx and one with UPS.
Man you have a very long streak of bad luck I am sorry for your issues with this and covid crap doesn't help :evil: :x :oops: :cry: :( :o :shock: :|
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Freeze Mackenzie02 wrote: Man you have a very long streak of bad luck I am sorry for your issues with this and covid crap doesn't help :evil: :x :oops: :cry: :( :o :shock: :|
Yeah, it's been a nightmare. Luckily my vet and the stallion owner are both amazing and speaking with them was wonderfully comforting. I also have my mother in town to commiserate with. We should be going up to see Mojo again either some time this week or this weekend. I miss her so much and really want her home. So hopefully this next heat will be the one.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
Update

:o :evil:
They're usually better than that.

The funny thing is, what hits my mind is, all the 'bad luck' is being thrown at you now, rather than later. If this is the worst of it, then the gestation and birth will be a breeze.

When you complain to FedEx, tell them the breakdown of all the increased monies incurred for this mistake, and the fact that the 'shipment' even if it comes in now, will not be usable or possibly even viable because of the time lapse. They might be able to do something more for you. If anything, to make an appropriate financial apology. Plus the supervisor might need to get involved for this.

Either way... luck in this... and the better type.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 09, 2024 4:57 pm

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:57 pm