Community Forum

Operation: Let's have a real-life Knabstrupper! Current Stage: BABY IS HERE

Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Take a journey with Silverine. Operation: Let's have a real-life Knabstrupper!

Post by Silverine »

Stallion owner said this is the first shipment she's lost from Pax this year. :cry: Though apparently it's been a better than usual year for FedEx actually keeping track of shipments.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that flipping from 2020 to 2021 will actually change this bad luck around.
KYTrainer
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Take a journey with Silverine. Operation: Let's have a real-life Knabstrupper!

Post by KYTrainer »

Silverine wrote:Stallion owner said this is the first shipment she's lost from Pax this year. :cry: Though apparently it's been a better than usual year for FedEx actually keeping track of shipments.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that flipping from 2020 to 2021 will actually change this bad luck around.
Ugh, I hate it when that happens. I’ve actually had something similar happen, my Shorthorn Heifer (cow) was the later stage of her heat cycle when Fedex said they lost the bulls semen. We were very upset and had to drive 5 hours to get one adequate for a register heifer and also a first time heifer.
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

KYTrainer wrote:Ugh, I hate it when that happens. I’ve actually had something similar happen, my Shorthorn Heifer (cow) was the later stage of her heat cycle when Fedex said they lost the bulls semen. We were very upset and had to drive 5 hours to get one adequate for a register heifer and also a first time heifer.
I'm so sorry that happened. But I'll also admit to being a bit glad to know I'm not the only one to go through it. :lol:

Though I'm getting a bit worried about birth dates with this baby. If everything goes right this next time and if it's all on schedule, the baby would be born right at the end of June next year which means I'll have a baby that's not even a week old dealing with 4th of July fireworks. Needless to say I will be spending the entirety of that evening - and probably the nights leading up to and directly after it - at the barn making sure baby doesn't kill itself from fright.
KYTrainer
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by KYTrainer »

Silverine wrote:
KYTrainer wrote:Ugh, I hate it when that happens. I’ve actually had something similar happen, my Shorthorn Heifer (cow) was the later stage of her heat cycle when Fedex said they lost the bulls semen. We were very upset and had to drive 5 hours to get one adequate for a register heifer and also a first time heifer.
I'm so sorry that happened. But I'll also admit to being a bit glad to know I'm not the only one to go through it. :lol:

Though I'm getting a bit worried about birth dates with this baby. If everything goes right this next time and if it's all on schedule, the baby would be born right at the end of June next year which means I'll have a baby that's not even a week old dealing with 4th of July fireworks. Needless to say I will be spending the entirety of that evening - and probably the nights leading up to and directly after it - at the barn making sure baby doesn't kill itself from fright.
Dang fireworks! They scare most animals (and some people too). Our county is so dry, we don’t do any fireworks.
NekoCookie2
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by NekoCookie2 »

Silverine wrote:I'm so sorry that happened. But I'll also admit to being a bit glad to know I'm not the only one to go through it. :lol:

Hey Silverine! I've been following, quietly rooting for everything to work out. I've never dealt with foaling, or breeding for that matter, with my quarter horses as I only had two geldings and a very old temperamental mare. I just wanted to chime in that eventually this whole ordeal will hopefully fall into place and all will be well.
Malakai10
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

Silverine wrote:I'm so sorry that happened. But I'll also admit to being a bit glad to know I'm not the only one to go through it. :lol:

Non-silent fireworks ought to be banned.
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

NekoPancake wrote: Hey Silverine! I've been following, quietly rooting for everything to work out. I've never dealt with foaling, or breeding for that matter, with my quarter horses as I only had two geldings and a very old temperamental mare. I just wanted to chime in that eventually this whole ordeal will hopefully fall into place and all will be well.
Thank you for the support! We appreciate it, even if it's quiet. :) I messaged with the vet yesterday and if all goes according to plan (does it ever? :lol:) we'll be breeding this coming week and coming home before or on the weekend.
Malakai10 wrote:
I don't necessarily mind the noisy ones, as long as they're not bothering other people or animals. If you want to have a big, noisy fireworks show that's fine - but have it in the middle of nowhere or somewhere that everyone agrees it's okay. If you've got neighbors - whether they're people or livestock - you should be more considerate.

My family and I did our own fireworks a few years ago, but they were all the little close-to-the-ground ones. My nephew was three at the time. All but one of the fireworks I picked out were silent because of him. The one that was noisy (high-pitched "screamers", no bangs) I saved for last so that my sister could take him inside away from it.
Malakai10
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

Silverine wrote:
Malakai10 wrote:
I don't necessarily mind the noisy ones, as long as they're not bothering other people or animals. If you want to have a big, noisy fireworks show that's fine - but have it in the middle of nowhere or somewhere that everyone agrees it's okay. If you've got neighbors - whether they're people or livestock - you should be more considerate.

My family and I did our own fireworks a few years ago, but they were all the little close-to-the-ground ones. My nephew was three at the time. All but one of the fireworks I picked out were silent because of him. The one that was noisy (high-pitched "screamers", no bangs) I saved for last so that my sister could take him inside away from it.
The only problem I have with the fireworks in the middle of no-where is that there's also wildlife there - which, arguably, is more important than disturbing human neighbours and their pets. I will admit that I'm not entirely certain as to how fireworks affect wildlife; I should look that up, actually.

I've never heard a 'screaming' firework but it doesn't sound as if it would be as bad as the exploding ones. Does the 'screaming' start off relatively softly and then get louder?
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Malakai10 wrote: The only problem I have with the fireworks in the middle of no-where is that there's also wildlife there - which, arguably, is more important than disturbing human neighbours and their pets. I will admit that I'm not entirely certain as to how fireworks affect wildlife; I should look that up, actually.

I've never heard a 'screaming' firework but it doesn't sound as if it would be as bad as the exploding ones. Does the 'screaming' start off relatively softly and then get louder?
I was thinking more of "middle of nowhere" as middle of cornfields or some such where there's lots of flat farmland and the only wildlife around would be deer and groundhogs. Nothing endangered that you'd worry about running off of its habitat or anything like that. For example, a friend I had before I moved had 1,000 acres, several hundred of which was dedicated fields with a few farmhouses but no livestock. Setting fireworks off there would have been perfect.

The screamers sounded like this, but without the louds pops and bangs because it wasn't a "sky" firework, just a box that we set on a concrete slab so that it wouldn't set our lawn on fire. I think, because it's so high pitched, that it doesn't carry quite as far as the bangs.
Malakai10
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

Silverine wrote:
Malakai10 wrote: The only problem I have with the fireworks in the middle of no-where is that there's also wildlife there - which, arguably, is more important than disturbing human neighbours and their pets. I will admit that I'm not entirely certain as to how fireworks affect wildlife; I should look that up, actually.

I was thinking more of "middle of nowhere" as middle of cornfields or some such where there's lots of flat farmland and the only wildlife around would be deer and groundhogs. Nothing endangered that you'd worry about running off of its habitat or anything like that. For example, a friend I had before I moved had 1,000 acres, several hundred of which was dedicated fields with a few farmhouses but no livestock. Setting fireworks off there would have been perfect.

The screamers sounded like this, but without the louds pops and bangs because it wasn't a "sky" firework, just a box that we set on a concrete slab so that it wouldn't set our lawn on fire. I think, because it's so high pitched, that it doesn't carry quite as far as the bangs.
Yes, that sounds reasonable - of course, it depends on exactly where you are as to what wildlife is hiding in the fields - but, if the wildlife isn't at risk or worse, then that sounds good.

I'll listen to that a bit later, thanks for sending the link :)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 09, 2024 3:07 am

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 3:07 am