Community Forum

The Belgian Horse

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
Virgo
Visit My Farm

Re: The Belgian Horse

Post by Virgo »

Anne wrote:
Virgo wrote:I know exactly what you mean. My colt by my stud Aquarius who just passed away this week is already 12yrs. :o I've been trying to breed a ton of babies with outside stallions to get some new blood and all of my horses are getting so old, so quickly. Both were/are the #1 log pull horse (based on score) and still haven't been able to breed a horse of their same caliber. :? My goal right now is to breed babies that have no negative or average stats. It's so hard! Both parents can have a ton of positive stats and you can still get junk.

Have you bred any new stud prospects? Your stallions are really good producers. I think I have like 4 babies by Tarvos now!
Have you considered using a second account to lock the ages of your studs? That's the only way I'm able to keep mine around for a decent amount of time.

Breeding for stats is so difficult. It seems so random! I'm debating if I might like to focus on marathon driving instead of log pull since at least the negative movement of Belgians won't come into play there, but I like the log pull body shape.

I'm getting really close to a new stud or two, I think, from my metallic line. I'm on the generation now that gives pure Belgians. I need to fix up the stats in my cream and the bodies in my champagne, and then I need to breed their COI back down to a reasonable level somehow. I'd like to breed metallic into my silver dapples when that's done.
I didn't really know what metallic was until you mentioned this, but my silver dapple stud Aquarius was a metallic black silver dapple and some of his babies over here have the gene. So if you need any breedings, feel free to ask!
For your consideration

Knightshade
Metallic Smokey Black Belgian Stallion
#1 Log Pull and Marathon Driving Horse of All Time | RH Level 10: 54.31 ft | $5,000 LC
Anne
Visit My Farm

Post by Anne »

Virgo wrote:I didn't really know what metallic was until you mentioned this, but my silver dapple stud Aquarius was a metallic black silver dapple and some of his babies over here have the gene. So if you need any breedings, feel free to ask!
It took me some time to figure out metallic, too. The trick to telling the difference between a metallic horse and a muscled horse, apparently, is that metallic makes the face shiny also while muscles only make the body shiny. But sometimes I've still been sitting here staring at a horse like "is this metallic? I can't tell." Heh. And, thank you! :)
Virgo wrote:I would put them on a second account, but my really good studs usually compete a lot and I want the earnings and points coming over this way. :lol: I agree on the random stats comment, except it feels like the odds are less likely to be in your favor when breeding for good stats. You can have two parents that are really good for a particular stat and they'll still produce 5 foals that are average. I'm not so worried about COI for now. The #1 horse in the game has a COI of 40%+, so I feel less guilty about my 15%'ers lol. At least until I start getting foals with multiple greens.
Gotcha. I haven't figured player-made competitions out yet. I blow through generations so fast some days that a horse often retires before competitions can even run anyway. But I've been wondering, do competitions need day turns at all? Or can I enter my age-locked studs on my alt account into them?

Breeding for stats does seem to work, my stats are improving. So they're not completely random. It's just, like you said, such a big random factor in the down direction. I have to cull so selectively and so often, it's frustrating sometimes.

Yeah I'm starting to feel less guilty about COI, too. I'm reaching 30% now and I'm just like you know what, to heck with it for now. I'll fix it later. Eventually. I can only care about so many things. Body shape and stats trump COI for me.
Virgo
Visit My Farm

Post by Virgo »

Anne wrote:
Virgo wrote:I didn't really know what metallic was until you mentioned this, but my silver dapple stud Aquarius was a metallic black silver dapple and some of his babies over here have the gene. So if you need any breedings, feel free to ask!
It took me some time to figure out metallic, too. The trick to telling the difference between a metallic horse and a muscled horse, apparently, is that metallic makes the face shiny also while muscles only make the body shiny. But sometimes I've still been sitting here staring at a horse like "is this metallic? I can't tell." Heh. And, thank you! :)
Virgo wrote:I would put them on a second account, but my really good studs usually compete a lot and I want the earnings and points coming over this way. :lol: I agree on the random stats comment, except it feels like the odds are less likely to be in your favor when breeding for good stats. You can have two parents that are really good for a particular stat and they'll still produce 5 foals that are average. I'm not so worried about COI for now. The #1 horse in the game has a COI of 40%+, so I feel less guilty about my 15%'ers lol. At least until I start getting foals with multiple greens.
Gotcha. I haven't figured player-made competitions out yet. I blow through generations so fast some days that a horse often retires before competitions can even run anyway. But I've been wondering, do competitions need day turns at all? Or can I enter my age-locked studs on my alt account into them?

Breeding for stats does seem to work, my stats are improving. So they're not completely random. It's just, like you said, such a big random factor in the down direction. I have to cull so selectively and so often, it's frustrating sometimes.

Yeah I'm starting to feel less guilty about COI, too. I'm reaching 30% now and I'm just like you know what, to heck with it for now. I'll fix it later. Eventually. I can only care about so many things. Body shape and stats trump COI for me.
Ah, what a great look.

You will still get the earnings from the event and your horse will still be listed in the results even if they have retired. It doesn't require any turns (not like VHR :P ) so you can enter whenever you want, however many times you want. That's something that I really love about this game.
For your consideration

Knightshade
#1 Log Pull and Marathon Driving Horse of All Time | RH Level 10: 54.31 ft | $5,000 LC
Anne
Visit My Farm

Post by Anne »

Virgo wrote:You will still get the earnings from the event and your horse will still be listed in the results even if they have retired. It doesn't require any turns (not like VHR :P ) so you can enter whenever you want, however many times you want. That's something that I really love about this game.
That's good to know, thank you! :) I should start entering those more often, then.
Virgo
Visit My Farm

Post by Virgo »

Anne wrote:
Virgo wrote:You will still get the earnings from the event and your horse will still be listed in the results even if they have retired. It doesn't require any turns (not like VHR :P ) so you can enter whenever you want, however many times you want. That's something that I really love about this game.
That's good to know, thank you! :) I should start entering those more often, then.
Surprised there weren't any comments on the prego sausage horse!! Lolz. And yes, you should!! I host a few level 10 log pull events and will probably get a daily Marathon Driving one up because it seems like there are hardy any marathon driving events anymore.
For your consideration

Knightshade
Anne
Visit My Farm

Post by Anne »

Virgo wrote:Surprised there weren't any comments on the prego sausage horse!! Lolz. And yes, you should!! I host a few level 10 log pull events and will probably get a daily Marathon Driving one up because it seems like there are hardy any marathon driving events anymore.
Haha oh I had to refresh it, last time I looked it was just a broken image. Love the dachshund! :lol:

I've gotta work on my competition management learning. I've been putting everything into number of horses, studs, broodmares, etc. and have been playing a little with training. But I haven't gotten too far with this yet.

Edit: Also, I'm just going to leave an image of my new favorite girl here. I hope I can breed a stallion clone of her to stud out!

Virgo
Visit My Farm

Post by Virgo »

Anne wrote:Image
Oh wow, she's gorgeous!! 10/10
For your consideration

Knightshade
Alexis
Visit My Farm

Post by Alexis »

I'm not really breeding Belgians as a main thing, just have a couple for fun, but I have this guy if anyone is interested, http://www.horseworldonline.net/farm/pasture/227 Sorry I don't know how to post an image of him.
kidhedera
Visit My Farm

Post by kidhedera »

Alexis wrote:I'm not really breeding Belgians as a main thing, just have a couple for fun, but I have this guy if anyone is interested, http://www.horseworldonline.net/farm/pasture/227 Sorry I don't know how to post an image of him.
If you mean that big black fellow, I wouldn't mind using him at least once. I'm trying to breed black 4* friesian-rated Forest Horses with feathering. Ive got one 4*Friesian-rated belgianxNAB filly from one of virgo's studs, but I'll need one other unrelated black belgian at least.
Virgo
Visit My Farm

Post by Virgo »

Hey guys! Thanks for joining in on the convo, I've been hoping some people would come chat about Belgian stuff.
Alexis wrote:I'm not really breeding Belgians as a main thing, just have a couple for fun, but I have this guy if anyone is interested, http://www.horseworldonline.net/farm/pasture/227 Sorry I don't know how to post an image of him.
That's a really nice foundation stud. I'll list him on the original post if you'd like. :)
kidhedera wrote:If you mean that big black fellow, I wouldn't mind using him at least once. I'm trying to breed black 4* friesian-rated Forest Horses with feathering. Ive got one 4*Friesian-rated belgianxNAB filly from one of virgo's studs, but I'll need one other unrelated black belgian at least.
Thank you for using my stud! I have been watching your filly grow, you bred her pretty well! If you ever need any breedings in the future, just shoot me a PM and I will lower the stud fee for you. I've got several black studs at the moment with different body types. Are you currently standing any studs? I'm trying to breed horses that will be built to compete in different competitions, some that are a little bit "sportier" than Belgians. I've got waaaay too many to enter in the log pull!
For your consideration

Knightshade
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:30 pm

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:30 pm