Topic for unrelated discussions

Malakai10
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Topic for unrelated discussions

Post by Malakai10 »

Malakai10 wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
Considering I had the uncanny ability to fall out of a western saddle, complete with a horn! I'm not too prone to getting unseated by horses. The bolting forward and even the sudden side-step bolt thing that some horses do, don't really move me much in the saddle.
The few times I did fall off... let's see...
The first time I think I had been in the saddle for... maybe three weeks at most. The old arab mare I was on, she just turned 45% and off I slipped! :lol: And she just looked down at me like 'What are you doing down there??'
Second time... eh... I had been riding for... maybe a year? Had just moved off of a quarter pony and onto a quarter horse and she bolted in the woods. I hadn't even cantered yet and she was flat out running. I panicked and kind of slide off her back and into the ground. -_-
When I say, I had been riding for a year, it was only once or twice a week for a year and maybe for an hour a day... so not many hours in the saddle yet.
Third time I had been riding for quite awhile. I jumped up on... I think he was pushing 18 hands and I usually rode on a 15.1. He had a lazy butt and wouldn't engage it, so it was my very first time learning the dressage crop.
Yeah... Anyway, trying to handle that plus the reins and him who was, by all accounts, responsive to the reins and seat... I got jumbled up in my hands, he kept going straight, I didn't tell him to turn, kind of forgot about that while managing to fail miserably to utilize the dressage crop and at the last moment he stopped at the fenceline and I toppled into a muddy section (winter riding).
I was laughing a bit, soft landing, after all, she had been worried about me falling onto my hip from that height. And after a moment, she asked 'you okay? what happened? why didn't he turn?'
I stood up, looked at the mud covering my left half and said simply: 'I didn't tell him to. Forgot with trying the dressage whip.' -_-
It was one of those moments that you simply can't believe everything just happened that way. That was my third fall. :D
My fourth and final fall (to date), was on John-John. He decided to take off through the middle of the ring, kind of slow-bolting. I'm not sure, maybe he threw in a mini-crow-hop, but I'm kind of dense to feeling those, but I fairly certain he didn't. That was the western saddle incident. I kept myself in that saddle for three full strides before I just went off the left. Earned a bruise on my inner thigh the size and shape of a sausage bun... but off I went! :lol:
Really, none of my incidents were anything perhaps another rider would've considered 'fall-worthy' and I say that to say there had been other times that might have resulted in falls that didn't. For instance, a tb doing that side-step bolt thing that I didn't move in the saddle with. Or the times the horse decided to run out of the jump. Or when he refused the jump. Or when he bolted forward from a standstill... or when he threw a fit at being at the back of the trail-pack and... without making it too long, I plastered my hand behind my hip to make him spin instead of run and buck. Or, when I had been in the saddle for just about a year and a half (my very first time actually cantering) and my horse threw about seven crow hops in quick succession... In this last case, I was completely unaware of them, didn't know until my instructor told me about it.

The stories we have. :mrgreen:

Anyway, from those breeds you do have, you might be inclined to try an arab, fresian cross. But I have seen some egyptian arabs that breach that height, so that could be an option. It's a shame you don't have more options though, there are a lot of different breeds with very different personalities and there probably are a lot out there that you would likely connect with (breeds not specific animals). Maybe one day. :D When you're super rich and you don't even glance at the price of a horse! :lol: Just like the rest of us, huh?

Right. I think we are using slightly different definitions of lazy. A lazy horse can be lazy and slow or lazy and dead. The dead sort are the sort that need to be kicked and whipped into moving forward. Often these horses are also very insensitive and soured and just dull overall.
I'm not really talking about them. They need serious re-sensitizing help that reminds them that they're horses too. Riding such a horse is... rather sad. Luckily, although I've ridden at least one soured horse, I've only been on one kind of dead horse. He was more insensitive then dead.
I say lazy to mean 'lazy and slow' or even, as you said 'lazy and calm' sort. And not the 'lazy and dead' variety.
:D So we were speaking of slightly different definitions. Oops! :lol:
I don't even remember most of my falls (I have fallen off A LOT). There was that one time where I had like, 3 falls in ten minutes? I started riding when I was maybe five or six (30-60 minute lessons once a week.) I started more frequent riding once I got my own horse at age ten (lessons were still once a week but I also went and rode by myself sometimes.) I distinctly remember one fall, when Malakai was lame I rode a school pony who was much smaller than Mali. I used to lean in the direction I wanted to go. We were meant to circle left, so I leaned left but the pony went right.... I just slipped right off.

Between Mali and Teal, I've become much better at not falling off - sometimes I do still get unseated but it's not common at all and it's generally when something unexpected has happened :mrgreen: I can even stay on Teal (or even this other TB called Buzzword who is extremely talented at unseating the rider when bucking) when he throws his tantrums.

Unfortunately, Friesians are one of the breeds I absolutely cannot stand — it's nothing against them, really, but the otheruse of Friesians in media along with absolutely everyone cooing at them and crowing about how they were destriers (which they absolutely were NOT) has just soured me toward the breed.

What are Anglo Arabs like? A bit of TB for the height and a bit of Arab for a good personality.

Although, I think most TB would be fine for me, it's just that Teal is on a whole different level of 'sensitive' and 'panics at nothing' (under saddle, that is. We've had a broom be accidentally thrown at us on the ground and he didn't even twitch his ears :roll: but under saddle he threw a tantrum because we cantered past the place where a leaf had brushed his tummy a week previous. AND we had already ridden past that same place on a different day since then.)

There's two other TB's that I've ridden who could be considered lazy and calm - one was a former race horse who I was told was very popular and good at his job, a friend of my family bought him when he was retired and let me ride around on him when I was maybe seven or eight. Then there's the TB owned by my stable yard owner that she lets me take on outrides. He spooks a little when the road changes colour and stops abruptly sometimes when we're cantering but, other than that, he's very sweet with a super Smooth trot (well, super sweet except for the times he tried to kick and push a pony-and-rider down a very steep hill.)

Oh! I forgot — we also have Lippizaners but I don't know if anyone who isn't the South African Lippizaner school can get them.

I hope I can one day ignore the price of a horse. That would be absolutely wonderful *longing sigh* warmbloods. And a Lusitano. I want a pearl Lusitano

Using different definitions without knowingly doing so is so troublesoms :lol: there was this one time that I got extremely confused when riding Teal because the SYO kept on telling me to MAKE him be calm and I was like '???he already is???? This is teal being calm???' And when I tried to say that maybe we were using different definitions of calm and excitable, she told me that no she knows what an excitable horse is like, she has buzzword and he's worse than Teal... Buzzword is not worse than Teal. Buzzword is probably better than Teal. That was a bit annoying :lol:
Hi BlackOak

We sure haven't talked in a while have we?

Anyway, I remembered this conversation we had ages ago and I thought that I'd tell you that I have a new horse now! Her name's Llamrei and, guess what, she's a warmblood!!

(Also found out what was causing Teal to act Like That and it was kissing spine :/

My lovely South African warmblood

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Malakai10 wrote: Hi BlackOak

Anyway, I remembered this conversation we had ages ago and I thought that I'd tell you that I have a new horse now! Her name's Llamrei and, guess what, she's a warmblood!!

(Also found out what was causing Teal to act Like That and it was kissing spine :/

You're correct! We have not. But that's not unusual for us, is it? :P

Kissing spine would explain just about all of Mal's behavior, wouldn't it? That's a shame he has it. But with diagnosis comes treatment, or in this case, understanding toward management.
Did we cover possible pain responses with him? I don't recall. I'm sure we did... It does seem like, or maybe I should say, he got an x-ray and was diagnosed and likely couldn't have been otherwise (aside from the x-ray confirmation).

I'm sorry to hear it though. But he's also doing good otherwise, it sounds?

Llamrei? She looks both promising and gorgeous! Looks like she has a good head on her shoulders and good potential in her body too. Very Nice! Congrats!
She looks like she might've cost you a bit too. :D Hopefully you got a really great deal on her.

I have a question. Is her neck a little short? Or is that the style of south african warmbloods? Maybe in need of just a little more muscle there?
John looked a little like that, but he just never developed much neck-muscling. Reminds me a bit of his look.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Malakai10
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Malakai10 wrote: Hi BlackOak

You're correct! We have not. But that's not unusual for us, is it? :P

Kissing spine would explain just about all of Mal's behavior, wouldn't it? That's a shame he has it. But with diagnosis comes treatment, or in this case, understanding toward management.
Did we cover possible pain responses with him? I don't recall. I'm sure we did... It does seem like, or maybe I should say, he got an x-ray and was diagnosed and likely couldn't have been otherwise (aside from the x-ray confirmation).

I'm sorry to hear it though. But he's also doing good otherwise, it sounds?

Llamrei? She looks both promising and gorgeous! Looks like she has a good head on her shoulders and good potential in her body too. Very Nice! Congrats!
She looks like she might've cost you a bit too. :D Hopefully you got a really great deal on her.

I have a question. Is her neck a little short? Or is that the style of south african warmbloods? Maybe in need of just a little more muscle there?
John looked a little like that, but he just never developed much neck-muscling. Reminds me a bit of his look.
True!

So, it was Teal with the kissing spine - I had him put down shortly after his diagnosis because I was going to retire him anyway and the only person I trusted to take him would not let a horse suffer (and, to be honest, I don't think I would either... his spine was terrible in the x-rays.)

Malakai is still alive and doing well - he's about 25 years old now (I can never remember the exact age and the vets always change their estimates!) and is, miraculously, no longer lame.

I think we did cover pain responses and I dismissed them at the time because he expressed it fairly inconsistently?

I got an excellent deal on her - pretty much got her for half of what she's worth plus all her tack. Her previous owner used to board at the same yard we're at and she decided she would rather sell her horse cheaply to someone she knew would look after her and treat her well.

She'sbeen absolutely lovely so far - a bit bossy but I'm told that comes from her sire.

It's probably a combination of camera angle and her lacking a bit of muscle - her previous owner didn't have much time to exercise her — although she's already gained a fair bit of strength and muscle since I got her! It's honestly incredible how quickly she learns — as clever as the Arabs I trained for a bit last year!

These pics might give a better idea of her confo?

Oh, I have to show you the GIF I have of her. This was the second or third day I had her. I decided to take her down to the lunge ring and let her loose in it to sniff around and investigate and then do some ground work with her and, well:

In slow motion so this can be properly appreciated:

The fences are 1,3 metres high.

She's ten years old, by the way! And we've already done a few shows and did quite well! A few firsts in some inhand classes, two (I think) firsts in ridden showing classes, a first and second in dressage (just walk trot tests but still - I was competing against my instructor!) and I can't remember if it was a second or third in show jumping.

Some pictures of Mal!

And some more pics of the girl because she is pretty and I love her.

And then this is her brother

Her dam

And her sire

And then a picture from years ago when she and Teal went to a dressage show together and huddled under the gazebo!

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Malakai10 wrote: True!

So, it was Teal with the kissing spine - I had him put down shortly after his diagnosis because I was going to retire him anyway and the only person I trusted to take him would not let a horse suffer (and, to be honest, I don't think I would either... his spine was terrible in the x-rays.)

Malakai is still alive and doing well - he's about 25 years old now (I can never remember the exact age and the vets always change their estimates!) and is, miraculously, no longer lame.

I think we did cover pain responses and I dismissed them at the time because he expressed it fairly inconsistently?

I got an excellent deal on her - pretty much got her for half of what she's worth plus all her tack. Her previous owner used to board at the same yard we're at and she decided she would rather sell her horse cheaply to someone she knew would look after her and treat her well.

She'sbeen absolutely lovely so far - a bit bossy but I'm told that comes from her sire.

It's probably a combination of camera angle and her lacking a bit of muscle - her previous owner didn't have much time to exercise her — although she's already gained a fair bit of strength and muscle since I got her! It's honestly incredible how quickly she learns — as clever as the Arabs I trained for a bit last year!

... How did I get Mal and Teal confused...???
Well, it's... it is what it is, sometimes it comes out that way. And easier on our hearts knowing they're no longer in pain? An odd choice when one looks at it. Suffice to say, we brought them to this world (we as in human's selectively bred them) and we take the responsibility of their lives right to the end (or at least the 'good human' does).

I can see why they chose that stallion. Can't repeat what I said when I saw his pic! :lol: But I'm sure you have a good idea now! 8-)

Her conformation looks great! It did before, I was asking about her neck, but her showing pics look great. So a little more work and she'll be fully back into her own.
She definitely looks like a jumper. Good form, good thinking... she even looks like she can set herself up, which is always a plus when you're jumping competitively at higher heights.
She even tucks her hooves very nicely.

But why over a line instead of a solid jump? Isn't that a bit dangerous?
:D Was it just a a try or an oopsie to see what would happen? or are those a type of jumps they have in south africa? or... :twisted: is she the type that likes to slip outside of her pens? :lol: I have heard of some jumpers that did that regularly.
No matter how it happened, it shows considerable talent. But I'm not a jumper, what do I know! :lol:

Looking at Mal's pics again, he has the same type of hair whorls at his neck that John had. Used to peeve me off I couldn't just brush them through. My OCD-like tendencies want me to lay all the hair flat, so I'd take my brush and brush in those circles. John also had reverse laying hair on his chest. I think they call it a wheat patch or something. In fact, the first three horses I actually rode (the old arab mare, I don't remember brushing her, so I can't say anything about her), all three had some odd-laying hair on their chest. Then I learned that 'most' (most may be just what she said) horses have hair on their chest that all lay down the same way.
Color me confused then! :lol:

Mal's looking good though! A little looking his age, but overall quite healthy.

Llamrei looks like a lovely mare and a tribute to her mother. Maybe not quite so filled out in her butt as her mother, but every bit her jumping ability.
Mmm... maybe better than her mother's jumping ability. Maybe more jumping ability from the sire? She looks a bit stronger over the jump then her dame.

Or am I completely wrong with what I'm seeing!?? :lol:
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Malakai10
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Malakai10 wrote: True!

... How did I get Mal and Teal confused...???
Well, it's... it is what it is, sometimes it comes out that way. And easier on our hearts knowing they're no longer in pain? An odd choice when one looks at it. Suffice to say, we brought them to this world (we as in human's selectively bred them) and we take the responsibility of their lives right to the end (or at least the 'good human' does).

I can see why they chose that stallion. Can't repeat what I said when I saw his pic! :lol: But I'm sure you have a good idea now! 8-)

Her conformation looks great! It did before, I was asking about her neck, but her showing pics look great. So a little more work and she'll be fully back into her own.
She definitely looks like a jumper. Good form, good thinking... she even looks like she can set herself up, which is always a plus when you're jumping competitively at higher heights.
She even tucks her hooves very nicely.

But why over a line instead of a solid jump? Isn't that a bit dangerous?
:D Was it just a a try or an oopsie to see what would happen? or are those a type of jumps they have in south africa? or... :twisted: is she the type that likes to slip outside of her pens? :lol: I have heard of some jumpers that did that regularly.
No matter how it happened, it shows considerable talent. But I'm not a jumper, what do I know! :lol:

Looking at Mal's pics again, he has the same type of hair whorls at his neck that John had. Used to peeve me off I couldn't just brush them through. My OCD-like tendencies want me to lay all the hair flat, so I'd take my brush and brush in those circles. John also had reverse laying hair on his chest. I think they call it a wheat patch or something. In fact, the first three horses I actually rode (the old arab mare, I don't remember brushing her, so I can't say anything about her), all three had some odd-laying hair on their chest. Then I learned that 'most' (most may be just what she said) horses have hair on their chest that all lay down the same way.
Color me confused then! :lol:

Mal's looking good though! A little looking his age, but overall quite healthy.

Llamrei looks like a lovely mare and a tribute to her mother. Maybe not quite so filled out in her butt as her mother, but every bit her jumping ability.
Mmm... maybe better than her mother's jumping ability. Maybe more jumping ability from the sire? She looks a bit stronger over the jump then her dame.

Or am I completely wrong with what I'm seeing!?? :lol:
Yeah :'( it's a tough choice but a necessary one

:D

She adores jumping. She wasn't meant to jump the fence - I had just intended for her to wander around the lunge ring and then do groundwork with her. She decided that she wanted to go back to her stable, jumped the fence, galloped all the way to the top of the hill. I fetched her, brought her back down, where she proceeded to rip the lead out my hands, jump over a 1,5-2m ditch and gallop up the hill again :lol:

Nowadays she's much better at not running away from me but she still jumps the fences of the paddocks to be with her boyfriend (a Thoroughbred gelding called Tenacious Time - I think I showed pictures of him when he arrived last year?) who she flirts with and he would mount her :roll: she and her two paddock buddies had to be moved to the paddock furthest from the other horses because she would not stop jumping the fences or just straight up barging through. (I am so glad that the Arab stallion that was at the yard has left now :lol: imagine if my lovely warmblood mare had a foal with a little endurance arab :( if i ever want a foal from her it's going to be to nothing less than a stallion as good as she is)

From what I remember, I think her sire was used for dressage and her dam for jumping.

She's been very good overall - I've even done a bit of low jumps bitless. Although I think the highest jump I've done with her was only 70 or 80cm - I decided I would rather improve her flatwork and build a good relationship with her before jumping above 80cm! I honestly rather like slowly easing into this and building a solid foundation; it helps my confidence too.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Malakai10 wrote: Yeah :'( it's a tough choice but a necessary one

She adores jumping. She wasn't meant to jump the fence - I had just intended for her to wander around the lunge ring and then do groundwork with her. She decided that she wanted to go back to her stable, jumped the fence, galloped all the way to the top of the hill. I fetched her, brought her back down, where she proceeded to rip the lead out my hands, jump over a 1,5-2m ditch and gallop up the hill again :lol:

Nowadays she's much better at not running away from me but she still jumps the fences of the paddocks to be with her boyfriend (a Thoroughbred gelding called Tenacious Time - I think I showed pictures of him when he arrived last year?) who she flirts with and he would mount her :roll: she and her two paddock buddies had to be moved to the paddock furthest from the other horses because she would not stop jumping the fences or just straight up barging through. (I am so glad that the Arab stallion that was at the yard has left now :lol: imagine if my lovely warmblood mare had a foal with a little endurance arab :( if i ever want a foal from her it's going to be to nothing less than a stallion as good as she is)

From what I remember, I think her sire was used for dressage and her dam for jumping.

She's been very good overall - I've even done a bit of low jumps bitless. Although I think the highest jump I've done with her was only 70 or 80cm - I decided I would rather improve her flatwork and build a good relationship with her before jumping above 80cm! I honestly rather like slowly easing into this and building a solid foundation; it helps my confidence too.
Whoopsies are... well, whoopsies!
It's good she's such a good jumper to remember to tuck her hooves appropriately and not touch that line. Could've ended incredibly badly. Ruined her mind for a long time, depending on how she reacted to getting caught in the fence.

Anyway, no harm, no bad memory.

She also looks like a worker. She could be like... who is that jumping mare...??? let me see if I can find her...

Eh... too many mare jumping names. I don't recall which one was which. But I do remember what her rider said about her before a televised competition (longines or something). He said that he had taken her to ride that morning on the beach and in the deep surf. When he was asked if it would tire her out, he had replied that she has more than enough energy to spare.

So what I feel like I want to say is that maybe your mare is like that one. More than enough energy to spare. But maybe the only way to see if that's true, is to try pushing her more than once a day and see how she reacts.

A warmblood, arab match could come out quite nice, but nobody really wants an unscheduled foal. It changes things and if not caught, could leave to a lot of unintended and unwanted consequences. So, very, very good that the stallion is gone.

You do your work, she'll do hers. It sounds like you too are a good match. :D

It does sound like she's telling you maybe what she might be interested in doing... other than perching on the high hill! :lol: Maybe some light cross country would be fun for her. Not you competing, necessarily, just you doing a course now and again.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
RSÆ Holding Account
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by RSÆ Holding Account »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Malakai10 wrote: Yeah :'( it's a tough choice but a necessary one

Whoopsies are... well, whoopsies!
It's good she's such a good jumper to remember to tuck her hooves appropriately and not touch that line. Could've ended incredibly badly. Ruined her mind for a long time, depending on how she reacted to getting caught in the fence.

Anyway, no harm, no bad memory.

She also looks like a worker. She could be like... who is that jumping mare...??? let me see if I can find her...

Eh... too many mare jumping names. I don't recall which one was which. But I do remember what her rider said about her before a televised competition (longines or something). He said that he had taken her to ride that morning on the beach and in the deep surf. When he was asked if it would tire her out, he had replied that she has more than enough energy to spare.

So what I feel like I want to say is that maybe your mare is like that one. More than enough energy to spare. But maybe the only way to see if that's true, is to try pushing her more than once a day and see how she reacts.

A warmblood, arab match could come out quite nice, but nobody really wants an unscheduled foal. It changes things and if not caught, could leave to a lot of unintended and unwanted consequences. So, very, very good that the stallion is gone.

You do your work, she'll do hers. It sounds like you too are a good match. :D

It does sound like she's telling you maybe what she might be interested in doing... other than perching on the high hill! :lol: Maybe some light cross country would be fun for her. Not you competing, necessarily, just you doing a course now and again.
She is well practised in jumping fences she isn't meant to :lol: previous owner had to build up her paddock fence to like 1,5m

She definitely does have energy and does tend to go better after a bit of work - at the last show I ended up being in the saddle for a good portion of the day because the people running it are horrendous at timing. But anyway, I ended up in the saddle for most of the day and the time she moved best was in the warmup right before our last class.

She probably would do well with workouts twice a day but alas I don't have the time to go out to the stables that often... varsity doesn't leave much time and it's a half hour drive

I do want to do cross country at some point - someone else had actually (possibly jokingly) suggested it when my horse tried to climb into a giant water trough and splashed EVERYONE trying to give their horses water at the show :lol: I need to take her on an outride and take her down to one of the dams
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

RSÆ Holding Account wrote: She is well practised in jumping fences she isn't meant to :lol: previous owner had to build up her paddock fence to like 1,5m

She definitely does have energy and does tend to go better after a bit of work - at the last show I ended up being in the saddle for a good portion of the day because the people running it are horrendous at timing. But anyway, I ended up in the saddle for most of the day and the time she moved best was in the warmup right before our last class.

She probably would do well with workouts twice a day but alas I don't have the time to go out to the stables that often... varsity doesn't leave much time and it's a half hour drive

I do want to do cross country at some point - someone else had actually (possibly jokingly) suggested it when my horse tried to climb into a giant water trough and splashed EVERYONE trying to give their horses water at the show :lol: I need to take her on an outride and take her down to one of the dams
You know what you might be able to do, when you go to the stable, rider her immediately, give her a short warmup and then some fast, kind of hard work. Then do whatever you need to do, and then ride her again in a slower style... more for you than for her, just before you leave. It would give you two workouts without having to visit twice. Although you'd have to juggle some things a little, it might end up working better for you.

I don't know your schedule though. You could also, theoretically, find somebody to lease her 'in the morning' and then you'd still have her in the afternoon. Something to that effect.

Sounds like she'll take everything you throw at her, so if she were mine and I was worried about tiring her out, I'd be aiming to try to do that and see what she does. If you do get her to that point, she may suddenly stop jumping fences to escape. ;) She does sound like she's wanting a lot more exercise in some sort.

Hay, that may be why she's a bit pushy, she's trying to tell you to throw more at her! :lol:

:twisted: She actually sounds like a lot of fun!
I met a number of warmbloods, don't know which ones they were though. But each one of them were sweet, a bit sassy and looking for more interaction from their humans. Of course, all of those were somewhere between 50 and 80 thousand dollar horses too... essentially horses that the rich can own and the rest of us just get to see on tv... eh... it was really nice in that barn, but I was just a muck-er. That was a long time ago.
Anyway, she sounds like them. And that was the only time I got to be around warmbloods. The rest where Tb's, quarters, arabs (of various versions), ponies... appendix... those are the breeds I remember working with. Actually working with, not just mucking there stalls! :lol:

Ouch... feeling poor again! Memories hurt. :P

Well at least her bored habit is jumping pasture fences and not sucking air. Cribbing isn't... well, actually either habit can get them into a lot of trouble! But at least the one only will injure her if she makes a mistake and doesn't keep her head on right. :D
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Malakai10
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
RSÆ Holding Account wrote: She is well practised in jumping fences she isn't meant to :lol: previous owner had to build up her paddock fence to like 1,5m

You know what you might be able to do, when you go to the stable, rider her immediately, give her a short warmup and then some fast, kind of hard work. Then do whatever you need to do, and then ride her again in a slower style... more for you than for her, just before you leave. It would give you two workouts without having to visit twice. Although you'd have to juggle some things a little, it might end up working better for you.

I don't know your schedule though. You could also, theoretically, find somebody to lease her 'in the morning' and then you'd still have her in the afternoon. Something to that effect.

Sounds like she'll take everything you throw at her, so if she were mine and I was worried about tiring her out, I'd be aiming to try to do that and see what she does. If you do get her to that point, she may suddenly stop jumping fences to escape. ;) She does sound like she's wanting a lot more exercise in some sort.

Hay, that may be why she's a bit pushy, she's trying to tell you to throw more at her! :lol:

:twisted: She actually sounds like a lot of fun!
I met a number of warmbloods, don't know which ones they were though. But each one of them were sweet, a bit sassy and looking for more interaction from their humans. Of course, all of those were somewhere between 50 and 80 thousand dollar horses too... essentially horses that the rich can own and the rest of us just get to see on tv... eh... it was really nice in that barn, but I was just a muck-er. That was a long time ago.
Anyway, she sounds like them. And that was the only time I got to be around warmbloods. The rest where Tb's, quarters, arabs (of various versions), ponies... appendix... those are the breeds I remember working with. Actually working with, not just mucking there stalls! :lol:

Ouch... feeling poor again! Memories hurt. :P

Well at least her bored habit is jumping pasture fences and not sucking air. Cribbing isn't... well, actually either habit can get them into a lot of trouble! But at least the one only will injure her if she makes a mistake and doesn't keep her head on right. :D
Oh that might work - I could lunge her, do some groundwork with Malakai and then hop on her. Or I could even break it up by doing groundwork with her - I suspect it'll probably have a similar effect. I don't think there's really anyone I'd trust to ride her - I always find other riders far to eager to jump to the shouting and frustration if a horse doesn't listen to them.

I think she's mostly jumping because she wants to be with her 'boyfriend' :lol: It only really started getting bad after she went into season.

They do sound like they had similar personalities to Llamrei!

Here schooled warmblood are more around R250 000 - R300 000 which is about 14686,09 USD - 17623,31 USD... I got Llamrei for much, much less than that
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Malakai10 wrote: Oh that might work - I could lunge her, do some groundwork with Malakai and then hop on her. Or I could even break it up by doing groundwork with her - I suspect it'll probably have a similar effect. I don't think there's really anyone I'd trust to ride her - I always find other riders far to eager to jump to the shouting and frustration if a horse doesn't listen to them.

I think she's mostly jumping because she wants to be with her 'boyfriend' :lol: It only really started getting bad after she went into season.

They do sound like they had similar personalities to Llamrei!

Here schooled warmblood are more around R250 000 - R300 000 which is about 14686,09 USD - 17623,31 USD... I got Llamrei for much, much less than that
She could always start baby-beginners you know. If she's solid enough (in mind). There would just be a lot of walking and maybe some trotting. All ugly, but it would be good for her mind too. But it sounds like she may be too green herself with some misunderstandings still to be had.

I suspect it'll be harder on you with the regime than it'll be on her! :lol:

But I do remember that with enough work under their belts daily, even horses will forget bad habits. A horse I had, who was a notorious cribber, did stop cribbing when I was working him daily and giving him some solid interactions. Of course, he was an easy horse, and I, barely an intermediate at the time.

Anyway.

Definitely a big bite out of the pocketbook, but not nearly as steep as it could be.
*applauds*
We'll have to see and hear how far you too go and how quickly!

:D It is fun to hear how real-life activities go. 8-)
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sun May 19, 2024 5:24 am

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 5:24 am