ping

lemoncypress
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

ping

Post by lemoncypress »

Farant wrote:...
i know u breed dressage horses do u have any advice i have ran into a brick wall and have'nt been able to get what i would like i have added new genes to my lines and it hasnt helped much any advice i will take thanks :D
Farant
Visit My Farm

Re: ping

Post by Farant »

lemoncypress wrote:
Farant wrote:...
i know u breed dressage horses do u have any advice i have ran into a brick wall and have'nt been able to get what i would like i have added new genes to my lines and it hasnt helped much any advice i will take thanks :D
Can you make a quick overview of your lines? Tell me what your typical stallion looks like, what mares do you have etc.
lemoncypress
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by lemoncypress »

Farant wrote:
lemoncypress wrote: i know u breed dressage horses do u have any advice i have ran into a brick wall and have'nt been able to get what i would like i have added new genes to my lines and it hasnt helped much any advice i will take thanks :D
Can you make a quick overview of your lines? Tell me what your typical stallion looks like, what mares do you have etc.
my herd has very high movement most of my mares have 67 and i have 1 69. my stally have high hgp and movement i am going to try adding heart tomy lines a ot of my horses should be doing better than what they are. I also have recently added the stamania comment to my lines thinking it will hep but im not sure on it
Pieta
Visit My Farm

Post by Pieta »

lemoncypress wrote:Ping
I'm not a profesionalno like Farant, but if you ask me your horses have wrong build for Dressage. Your horses have light bulid, but for Dressage is better that the horse build is medium.
lemoncypress
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by lemoncypress »

Pieta wrote:
lemoncypress wrote:Ping
I'm not a profesionalno like Farant, but if you ask me your horses have wrong build for Dressage. Your horses have light bulid, but for Dressage is better that the horse build is medium.
i have a few studs i use to correct that bulid
Pieta
Visit My Farm

Post by Pieta »

lemoncypress wrote:
Pieta wrote: I'm not a profesionalno like Farant, but if you ask me your horses have wrong build for Dressage. Your horses have light bulid, but for Dressage is better that the horse build is medium.
i have a few studs i use to correct that bulid
I think when you correct build, your competition results will become better :) And there is one thing I figure out with my QH, it is very important that you breed only stallions with high win % (75% or higher), HGP and stats are important but aren't everything.
lemoncypress
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by lemoncypress »

Pieta wrote:
lemoncypress wrote: i have a few studs i use to correct that bulid
I think when you correct build, your competition results will become better :) And there is one thing I figure out with my QH, it is very important that you breed only stallions with high win % (75% or higher), HGP and stats are important but aren't everything.
i have also been told by BlackOak2 that my herd needs more heart in it
Farant
Visit My Farm

Post by Farant »

lemoncypress wrote:
Farant wrote: Can you make a quick overview of your lines? Tell me what your typical stallion looks like, what mares do you have etc.
my herd has very high movement most of my mares have 67 and i have 1 69. my stally have high hgp and movement i am going to try adding heart tomy lines a ot of my horses should be doing better than what they are. I also have recently added the stamania comment to my lines thinking it will hep but im not sure on it
I see. Have you tried running your herd through local shows on lvl 10? It's probably the best way to determine which stallions have heart since they perform much better. It shows almost instantly, 5-10 shows are enough to see the highest score a horse is capable of. I'd suggest you to move 6 or 12 of your best mares to the side to have some reserve in case things don't go as planned and check at least your stallions. You need to find the best performer and test its sons to see if they inherit/improve his scores.
I wouldn't even consider green movement in stallions to be worth breeding into the herd if you have gold mov stallions. Green movement has lower conformation scores -> lower scores in shows. But the tricky part is that top gold mov stallions can be bad at producing colts, but you should leave some of his daughters as broodmares, good blood is worth keeping.

TL:DR
1. Leave some mares as backup (preferably high mov ones)
2. Test your stallions, but don't cull before you know average scores.
3. Cull every stallion that's below average, breed all stallions to all mares year by year, never use stallions again if they don't produce good colts (sire's scores or higher). Never. The only exception is if you want a certain colour or if this sire is really good and has some insane performance.
4. Keep an eye on your mares too. Don't hesitate to go through them once in a while and remove any who didn't give birth to a foal after being bred 10 times or so. They can't give you what you need. I cull my mares really often, I can get rid of them after 5 or 6 breedings if I have their daughters to replace them.
5. Invent a naming system to keep track of your work. Include scores or movement comments in names, notes, excel files, anywhere, but you should be able to look at a horse without even opening its profile and know how good it is for your goal. Since interface is so lacking, it's essential for managing big projects.
Pieta
Visit My Farm

Post by Pieta »

lemoncypress wrote:
Pieta wrote: I think when you correct build, your competition results will become better :) And there is one thing I figure out with my QH, it is very important that you breed only stallions with high win % (75% or higher), HGP and stats are important but aren't everything.
i have also been told by BlackOak2 that my herd needs more heart in it
That's it :) You generally know what you must correct. By the way, your horses are stunning ❤️
lemoncypress
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by lemoncypress »

Farant wrote:
lemoncypress wrote: my herd has very high movement most of my mares have 67 and i have 1 69. my stally have high hgp and movement i am going to try adding heart tomy lines a ot of my horses should be doing better than what they are. I also have recently added the stamania comment to my lines thinking it will hep but im not sure on it
I see. Have you tried running your herd through local shows on lvl 10? It's probably the best way to determine which stallions have heart since they perform much better. It shows almost instantly, 5-10 shows are enough to see the highest score a horse is capable of. I'd suggest you to move 6 or 12 of your best mares to the side to have some reserve in case things don't go as planned and check at least your stallions. You need to find the best performer and test its sons to see if they inherit/improve his scores.
I wouldn't even consider green movement in stallions to be worth breeding into the herd if you have gold mov stallions. Green movement has lower conformation scores -> lower scores in shows. But the tricky part is that top gold mov stallions can be bad at producing colts, but you should leave some of his daughters as broodmares, good blood is worth keeping.

TL:DR
1. Leave some mares as backup (preferably high mov ones)
2. Test your stallions, but don't cull before you know average scores.
3. Cull every stallion that's below average, breed all stallions to all mares year by year, never use stallions again if they don't produce good colts (sire's scores or higher). Never. The only exception is if you want a certain colour or if this sire is really good and has some insane performance.
4. Keep an eye on your mares too. Don't hesitate to go through them once in a while and remove any who didn't give birth to a foal after being bred 10 times or so. They can't give you what you need. I cull my mares really often, I can get rid of them after 5 or 6 breedings if I have their daughters to replace them.
5. Invent a naming system to keep track of your work. Include scores or movement comments in names, notes, excel files, anywhere, but you should be able to look at a horse without even opening its profile and know how good it is for your goal. Since interface is so lacking, it's essential for managing big projects.
oh thank you for the help i will test this and see if it will work if not it will be back to the drawing board for me
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:18 pm

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:18 pm