Community Forum

Question About Color Shades

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
prplebird20
Visit My Farm

Question About Color Shades

Post by prplebird20 »

Hi, I was wondering, if you had for example, two Liver Chestnuts, and you bred them, then could you get a Sandy Chestnut? If you breed two horses of the same shade, then could you get a different shade?
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm

Re: Question About Color Shades

Post by KingstonDressage »

prplebird20 wrote:Hi, I was wondering, if you had for example, two Liver Chestnuts, and you bred them, then could you get a Sandy Chestnut? If you breed two horses of the same shade, then could you get a different shade?
It is entirely possible that you get the same shade of coat from the sire and dam, although that doesn't mean that there is a 100% chance. Some horses can actually get their coats from great-sires and great-dams. Some horses can also start out with the same shade, and slowly transition to a darker or lighter shade, so you never can really know. You'll have to wait to age the foal to see the real results! I hope this helps!
prplebird20
Visit My Farm

Post by prplebird20 »

KingstonDressage wrote:
prplebird20 wrote:Hi, I was wondering, if you had for example, two Liver Chestnuts, and you bred them, then could you get a Sandy Chestnut? If you breed two horses of the same shade, then could you get a different shade?
It is entirely possible that you get the same shade of coat from the sire and dam, although that doesn't mean that there is a 100% chance. Some horses can actually get their coats from great-sires and great-dams. Some horses can also start out with the same shade, and slowly transition to a darker or lighter shade, so you never can really know. You'll have to wait to age the foal to see the real results! I hope this helps!
Also, if you breed a cherry chestnut and a chestnut-based horse, then is there a higher percent chance of getting a cherry chestnut? Thanks!
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm

prplebird20 wrote:
KingstonDressage wrote: It is entirely possible that you get the same shade of coat from the sire and dam, although that doesn't mean that there is a 100% chance. Some horses can actually get their coats from great-sires and great-dams. Some horses can also start out with the same shade, and slowly transition to a darker or lighter shade, so you never can really know. You'll have to wait to age the foal to see the real results! I hope this helps!
Also, if you breed a cherry chestnut and a chestnut-based horse, then is there a higher percent chance of getting a cherry chestnut? Thanks!
Could you link the horses you have in mind for breeding? It would be easier if I could see them.
prplebird20
Visit My Farm

Post by prplebird20 »

KingstonDressage wrote:
prplebird20 wrote: Also, if you breed a cherry chestnut and a chestnut-based horse, then is there a higher percent chance of getting a cherry chestnut? Thanks!
Could you link the horses you have in mind for breeding? It would be easier if I could see them.
Hopefully these work...
Firefeather

Lionfire

If not then these are their links:
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3017832
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3100876
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm

prplebird20 wrote:
KingstonDressage wrote: Could you link the horses you have in mind for breeding? It would be easier if I could see them.
Hopefully these work...
Firefeather

Lionfire

If not then these are their links:
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3017832
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3100876
Okay. So, there are a couple different possible outcomes of the foal. I'd say that there is a chance it is a cherry chestnut, a high one. Despite this high chance, you may end up with a light chestnut horse, or even a faint dun.
prplebird20
Visit My Farm

Post by prplebird20 »

Wait... How could I get a dun?
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm

prplebird20 wrote:Wait... How could I get a dun?
When I say 'dun', I mean a very slight, altered dun coat. The dun wouldn't be the sandy color, more of a light brown, tannish color.
prplebird20
Visit My Farm

Post by prplebird20 »

KingstonDressage wrote:
prplebird20 wrote:Wait... How could I get a dun?
When I say 'dun', I mean a very slight, altered dun coat. The dun wouldn't be the sandy color, more of a light brown, tannish color.
I got a Palomino... :roll:
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm

prplebird20 wrote:
KingstonDressage wrote: When I say 'dun', I mean a very slight, altered dun coat. The dun wouldn't be the sandy color, more of a light brown, tannish color.
I got a Palomino... :roll:
You don't know that for sure. As that foal ages, the color can change. Like a lot. As I also said before, the horse could be an off-dun color, which is what you got. And the eye roll wasn't neccesary.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:03 am

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:03 am