Community Forum

.⚝. Show Jump Log

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: .⚝. Show Jump Log

Post by BlackOak2 »

Aubergine wrote:Whoop it's been a minute! Here is the data from Gen 14.
I could, theoretically, breed a foal from my stock, or send you a stud on loan. I don't know what they'd do to your stock, overall, but if you're trying to hunt down from the market, I might as well offer something in my stock.

If you find one worthwhile, or be interested in a new colt bred from a pairing, just let me know.

You'll find my current stock here:
https://www.horseworldonline.net/farm/pasture/105569
https://www.horseworldonline.net/farm/pasture/101471
https://www.horseworldonline.net/farm/pasture/100534

They might not all be done going through testing, but a good deal should be. One or two of the mares are off limits (Tisha outcrosses). They're a bit mixed right now. I have more cleanup to do and have been ignoring them. :lol:

But should be easy enough to cruise quick and see what you might want, if anything.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Aubergine
Visit My Farm

Post by Aubergine »

BlackOak2 wrote:I could, theoretically, breed a foal from my stock, or send you a stud on loan. I don't know what they'd do to your stock, overall, but if you're trying to hunt down from the market, I might as well offer something in my stock.
Thank you so much! Fighting Titan and Shrouded Justice look promising, Shrouded Justice especially with that strength comment. What would having one of them on loan look like? Would he just stay in my freezer barn until some set date?

Also, I love your notes, they were super helpful. Are you thinking that temperament at birth is linked to increased speed as an adult? Or at least better chances in speedy competitions?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Aubergine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:I could, theoretically, breed a foal from my stock, or send you a stud on loan. I don't know what they'd do to your stock, overall, but if you're trying to hunt down from the market, I might as well offer something in my stock.
Thank you so much! Fighting Titan and Shrouded Justice look promising, Shrouded Justice especially with that strength comment. What would having one of them on loan look like? Would he just stay in my freezer barn until some set date?

Also, I love your notes, they were super helpful. Are you thinking that temperament at birth is linked to increased speed as an adult? Or at least better chances in speedy competitions?
In freezer until set date. Feel free to transfer him (them) as often as you need and you'll have aging ability for about a year. Longer if you need, you'll just need to let me know. That'll be what? 10 breedings a turn times 24 turns? 240 breedings? :lol: Or something like that.

Fighting Titan, obviously will need to be aged until breeding age, so that one' s a given for more than a year allowance. Year, their life. And as long as you feel they're useful to you. I'd like them back before the end of the year, but I'm not holding my breath. I know they'll be safe with you.

The double comments at temperament is for how quickly their temperament moves from one spot to the next. So from Bombproof to Calm and from Spirited to High Strung. Since temperament as well as temperament move-ability are both linked to genetics, they can be bred for. Most of my stock are slow movers for temperament, so you can tick up their temperament and perhaps hone in on that perfect sweet spot for competitions a little more accurately.

So if you see a comment Born: High Strung; Fast
That means that the temperament went from notch to notch really quick. Sometimes a single turn can get a horse from one to another and back again.
My slowest mover went from bombproof to calm in years. But usually, my stock moves out of one and into another between 4 and 6 months. So, between 6 and 12 turns. Born: Calm; Slow
Although I think I'd prefer them to be in the 4-turn turnover area. But, hey, it beats the super fast, from one turn to another.

Do you want to borrow them both now? Or one at a time?
I'll have Shrouded Justice put up for collection shortly. I'm not really thinking any costs though, so this can be a freebie.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Aubergine
Visit My Farm

Post by Aubergine »

BlackOak2 wrote:...
Thank you! One at a time for now; strength has been such a beast to breed for that I'm hesitant to add in an iffy strength comment right now. I'll keep an eye out for Shrouded Justice. Let me know if you see anything in the 'Eugene' farm that you can use, there's a lot of horses collecting dust over there!

That's neat about the different speeds of shifting temperament. I think I was noticing differences passively, but hadn't recorded anything to know that it's genetic.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Aubergine wrote:
Thank you! One at a time for now; strength has been such a beast to breed for that I'm hesitant to add in an iffy strength comment right now. I'll keep an eye out for Shrouded Justice. Let me know if you see anything in the 'Eugene' farm that you can use, there's a lot of horses collecting dust over there!

That's neat about the different speeds of shifting temperament. I think I was noticing differences passively, but hadn't recorded anything to know that it's genetic.
Very good looking group of horses over there!

:twisted: Mine fits in surprisingly well, body form as well as other overall. :lol:

I'll come calling for a foal to mix into my own stock, when I dust off my own collection and start them up again. I have, I think, three others that are awaiting breeding into my stock.

And now, with the Retsi stock I picked up... why am I collecting more collector horses???? :roll: :| Anyway, I need to do some much needed cleanup as well as picking up a project that's taking up a lot of boarded space.

So soon!!! :lol:
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Eugene
Visit My Farm

Post by Eugene »

Hi, Shrouded Justice is all set to return! I need to start aging studs soon and I don't want him caught in the crossfire.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Eugene wrote:
Hi, Shrouded Justice is all set to return! I need to start aging studs soon and I don't want him caught in the crossfire.
Great!
I've been off and on recently, I have to confess, I completely forgot you had borrowed him! :lol:

Well, that's how it goes sometimes.

I see he did give you some horses you're keeping, was the crossover alright? Less than expected? Better?
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Eugene
Visit My Farm

Post by Eugene »

BlackOak2 wrote:I see he did give you some horses you're keeping, was the crossover alright? Less than expected? Better?
The crossover was admittedly a little less than expected. Got there in the end though, at this point I'll just have to see where the second gen crosses go! Let me know if any of mine look tempting. Thanks again!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Eugene wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:I see he did give you some horses you're keeping, was the crossover alright? Less than expected? Better?
The crossover was admittedly a little less than expected. Got there in the end though, at this point I'll just have to see where the second gen crosses go! Let me know if any of mine look tempting. Thanks again!
Hm... well, that's a shame. Hopefully they turn around with the second gen. Suppose lucky enough there was any success at all. Sometimes they simply never give something worthwhile. Now THOSE are disappointing. :lol: :roll:

I'll let you know!
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Aubergine
Visit My Farm

Post by Aubergine »

Gen 15 Data

So I didn't bother training everybody this time, and we will see where that goes. Highlighted horses are being held back for G16.

Exciting stuff is afoot in the upcoming G16! The herd has broken into a new set of strength comments. At this point, the "Olympics" strength comment is becoming commonplace and is even popping up amongst the mares. .⚝. Golden Goose was born in G16 with a very unexpected "powerful legs" comment.

Now the fun trick will be steering the herd back towards lighter builds while still retaining that higher strength BR & conformation. The high strength is lovely but they are looking less like show jumpers and more like cart-horses, and that won't do. I think the trick to it is very sloped hips and thicker legs, maybe with thicker jowls? I'm still fighting with the remnants of breeding exclusively for movement for so many generations. It's so difficult to breed for, but so sticky when you want it gone.

The current plan for G16 is to only keep/train stallions with the "Olympics" comment or greater, and to only bother training/testing the mares with "good & strong" or greater. I'll keep "pretty strong, looks nice" mares on reserve in case I don't get enough. Premium is getting harder to keep the higher level I am, and I don't need to waste time testing horses that I know won't be successful.

Special thanks to BlackOak for lending me Shrouded Justice. His genes didn't play super nicely with my herd's genes, but the new blood is very appreciated.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:15 am

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:15 am