Community Forum

Offering Genetics "Testing"

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Offering Genetics "Testing"

Post by EclipticEnd »

Please don't quote this, I'm subscribed.

Heya! I find it fun to figure out genetic sequences for horses so I'm offering that for anyone who's curious about theirs.

Obviously there's not yet the ability to do an actual genetics test in the game, but I like to think that I'm somewhat decent at figuring it out. Therefore, I'm offering to do so for anyone who's curious about their lines or their horses. This also applies for anyone who wants to know what they need to breed a horse to in order to achieve a color, or for someone who's curious as to what colors a foal might be if they were to breed two horses together.

Knowing the genetics of your horse is a great step to knowing what colors your horse is capable of passing on to foals. This is also great for learning more about the visual color differences in the game.

It's easiest to figure out the full genes of a horse if:
-It's an adult
-It has foals (especially adult foals)
-It has good pictures
-The parents also have pictures
-The foals also have pictures

I can do foals, but I probably won't be able to offer complete genetics for them. In fact, I can't guarantee the complete list of genetics for any horse, but having a lot of foals from a lot of different mares/studs really helps.

If the horse is retired and has no picture, then I have no way of knowing what color it is. Adult pictures are somewhat vital for this, since there's no actual test and I'm visually deducing what's there and what's not via the picture and the pictures of the parents and foals. Even only a foal picture being present is incredibly helpful, but having a picture at around the 3-4 year mark (breeding maturity) is ideal.

Adult horses with progeny will be easier to try to get complete genetics for. Half of a foal's genetics comes from one parent, the other half comes from the other. Therefore, if the horse has a foal then it's easier to tell what genetics it may have passed one, and what genetics it must have. Same is true via the parents of the horse; the horse will have gotten its genes from the parents, so the parents can tell us a lot about the horse.

It's always a good idea to pair your horse with a homozygous black if you're curious about your horse's genes. This means a black horse that has two extension (black) genes which will always pass down one. If the horse is black in appearance, it cannot have bay genes, which can be hard to figure out otherwise.

A horse has two genes in each spot, and they can be heterozygous (het) meaning that the horse has one gene and is missing one, or homozygous meaning the horse has two genes or is missing two genes. To offer an example, a horse missing two Black genes would be a Chestnut. A horse with one or more Black genes would be Black (assuming there's no Bay genes involved).

Genetics will be written out as shown below:

EE/AA/Crprl/ZZ/ff/ChCh/DD/tt/PP/StySty/MM/RnRn/TOTO/LPLP

This means:

black/bay/cream and pearl/silver/flaxen/champagne/dun/grey/tiger eye/pangare (mealy)/sooty/metallic/roan/tobiano/lp

Black can be E or e, E meaning present and e meaning not present.
Bay can be A+ (Wild Bay), A (Bay), At (Seal / Brown) or a (not present). A+, A, At, and a all share the same slots, so you can have any combination of two of them.
Cream/Pearl can be Cr (present Cream), prl (present Pearl) or n (not present). Cream and Pearl share the same genetic slot, so you can have CrCr, Crprl, prlprl, Crn, prln, nn.
Silver (Z), n (not present).
Flaxen (f), N (not present). Flaxen is recessive, so you must have ff for it to be visible.
Champagne (Ch), n (not present).
Dun (D), d (not present).
Grey (G), g (not present).
Tiger Eye (t), N (not present). Tiger Eye is recessive so you need tt for it to be visible (unless there's Champagne; Tiger Eye is visible with one gene when combined with Champagne).
Pangare / Mealy (P), p (not present).
Sooty (Sty), n (not present).
Metallic (M), m (not present).
Roan (Rn), n (not present).
Tobiano (TO), n (not present).
LP Switch (LP), lp (not present). LPlp is Blanket/Leopard, LPLP is Snowcap/Fewspot. Varnish or Bronzing will be noted but aren't necessarily a gene, same with Snowflakes.

Please note that there's sub-genes for ones such as Sooty, but I'm not familiar with them and I won't be listing them. Also, if a horse is negative for a dilution gene (nn for Cream/Pearl, for instance) then I'll simply leave it out of the genetic equation.

Anyway! If you're interested in learning more about your horses or your lines, pop a link or multiple links in a reply and I'll take a look. If you're wanting a full ancestry genetic list done then let me know what horses to stop at in the horse's lineage.

This is completely free because I enjoy doing this. I'll do my best as well to explain things as I go. Keep that in mind, because my reply can get lengthy with a multitude of horses. I'll also be naming the exact color so that you're not stuck with a bunch of nonsense letters to decode via Totina's guide.

I'll post an example below this just in case this post was confusing as it certainly could've been worded better. Words are hard. ;)

Cheers!
Last edited by EclipticEnd on Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Re: Offering Genetics "Testing"

Post by EclipticEnd »

Here's an example horse:

This stud has good pictures as a foal, at breeding age, and at around 8.5 years. He's one of mine and is probably one of my favorites that I've bred due to that intense sooty.

I can immediately identify him as a Buckskin via the foal picture. I'm very familiar with Buckskins at this point, but I'll explain.
That's the foal picture. I already know that this horse is not Champagne because he has a black nose. Outside of Champagne, Cream/Pearl is the only thing that causes that yellow body. There's grey at the legs above the hooves and the mane and tail are dark. You can faintly see that the tips of the ears are grey as well. These all point to Buckskin. The color's too saturated to be Pearl, and I know that my line doesn't carry Pearl anyway. This all means that the Cream/Pearl slot is Crn, and that he has at least one E (extension/Black) and A (Bay) gene.

E?/A?/Crn

Because the mane and tail are dark, we know there's no Silver. We also instantly see those lovely Tiger Eyes, and because Tiger Eyes are recessive, there must be two genes. We can also see a bit of a shadow in the coloration over the foal, and looking at the adult picture it's very obvious that there's Sooty. I'll assume 2x Sooty genes due to the intensity. You can also see in the adult picture that the face is shiny, which is possibly a Metallic gene showing up, but also possibly just contrast from Sooty. We'll check the parents later to see if they show any Metallic.

E?/A?/Crn/nn/tt/StySty/M?

There's obviously no white on this guy, so we can assume no Roan, Tobiano, nor LP. Varnish/Bronzing/Snowflakes would be visible in the adult picture, so there's probably no LP at all. There's also no tonal shading, so probably no Mealy nor Dun either.

So far we know this:
E?/A?/Crn/ZZ/flaxen?/ChCh/DD/tt/PP/StySty/M?/RnRn/TOTO/LPLP

E?/A?/Crn/flaxen?/tt/StySty/M?

We now move on to the parents. The sire is a Grulla. We can't be sure if he's a Smoky Grulla (1x Cream) because there's no foal picture. We can notice that he's shiny, but he's also got some training and so that's not necessarily indicative for Metallic. But! Because he's a Grulla and not a Bay Dun, we know[/i] that he has no Agouti genes. Our stud, therefore, must only have one. It's also worth noting that 1x Cream doesn't show up on adult Black horses, and Sooty and Flaxen also don't show up on Black horses. Both of his foals have a Black gene, and his parents seem to both be Grulla, so it's likely he's EE and passed down one E. We already know that our stud has one E, but we can be relatively sure that he didn't get an e from this guy.

E?/Aa/Crn/flaxen?/tt/StySty/M?

As for the dam, she's a Silver Sooty Buckskin Roan. This is where the one A gene is from, probably the Cream as well, and it's luck of the draw that she didn't pass down Silver nor Roan. This normally wouldn't tell us much, but a peek at her parents shows that she has a Cremello sire. Cremellos have no Black genes, so she's Ee, and she may or may not have passed an e gene to our stud. She doesn't seem Metallic, so our guy's one Metallic gene at best. Again, Flaxen isn't visible; it only shows up on Chestnut bases. I find it safe to assume that there's probably no Flaxen with these guys in recent lineage.

Ee?/Aa/Crn/tt/StySty/Mm?

Now we go to our stud's foals. He's popular with me from his Sooty, so he has multiple. It's worth noting that all of his foals have at least one Black gene. This supports the idea that he has two (EE), especially since he was paired with Palominos and Chestnuts (ee) and still ended up with a Black/Bay based foal. We already knew that he only has one Agouti (Aa), but to support this we can see that he has a Black foal which is only possible with het Agouti. Something important to note is how shiny some of his foals are. I personally know that I was trying to breed in some Metallic into my lines, and I know that it's present in some of my horses. It's looking like this horse definitely has a gene.

EE/Aa/Crn/tt/StySty/Mm

And just like that, we can be reasonably sure that we know his genetics. He's homozygous for Extension, Tiger Eye, and Sooty. He's heterozygous for Agouti and Metallic. His color is simply "Metallic Sooty Buckskin" or "Sooty Metallic Buckskin" based on preference.

A response to you guys would probably be sorter and more to the point than this, but this example just shows my thought process and what you can expect from me.
MagicRose
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by MagicRose »

MagicRose
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by MagicRose »

MagicRose
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by MagicRose »

MagicRose
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by MagicRose »

EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

First one: Varnish Perlino Blanket. 2x tiger eye to make the colored eyes. Likely Ee/Aa?/Crn/tt/LPlp.

Second one: Metallic Bay Dun. Metallic can be hard to say homozygous vs heterozygous so I'll only note it once. Can't be super certain of E/A with the lack of foals, but best guess: EE/AA/M/Dd. Possibility of one tiger eye gene as well (tN) and a Seal gene (AAt) but neither are guaranteed.

Third one: Varnish Silver Dunskin Snowcap. EE/AA or Aa/Crn/Dd/Zn/tN/LPLP.

Fourth one: Varnish Buckskin. EE/AA or Aa/Crn/Dd/LPlp. Mother looks like she's DD so this horse is Dd for dun, even if markings are pretty hidden by varnish; this is part of why this horse is so pale.
MagicRose
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by MagicRose »

Thank you!
xX1Max1Xx
Visit My Farm

Post by xX1Max1Xx »

EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

xX1Max1Xx wrote:I'm sorry that there are so many, I mainly just want to know what color they are, but any other info is welcomed
Mohawk's Shadow is a Black Blanket (Ee/aa/LPlp). This one's a Mohawk carrier; Mohawks are recessive and therefore you need two genes for it to show. The Father's Chestnut (ee) and the mother's Black as well (Ee or EE). The white socks are technically the presence of Tobiano, but I don't tend to note that down unless it's significant Tobiano. I also don't tend to note Snowflakes (the small white clusters of spots).
Conformation:
Speed 43
Strength 19
Stamina 28
Intelligence Conformation does not affect Intelligence
Balance 31
Movement 33
Agility 33
Tempo 23

Bronze Beauty is a Metallic Perlino (Double Cream on Bay) (Ee/AA, AAt, or Aa/CrCr). The mother is a Buckskin and the father is a Palomino. The mother is also Metallic I believe, not sure about the father but it's possible that he is as well. I can't tell what Agouti the father may be hiding as he has no known parents and only the one foal; therefore, I've written all possible combinations for that.
Conformation:
Speed 56
Strength 21
Stamina 13
Balance 26
Movement 36
Agility 21
Tempo 24

Midnight's Beauty Is a Varnishing Bay (EE or Ee/Aa/LPlp or LPLP). The reason the mane/tail is currently brown in color is because he's undergoing bronzing, a stage of varnish where black fur/hair turns brown before going grey. Not certain if the mother has two black/extension genes or only one, so I've written both possibilities. Varnish requires LP genetics, but as there's no white save for the Snowflakes I cannot be sure as to the number of LP switch genes.
Conformation:
Speed 44
Strength 22
Stamina 20
Balance 30
Movement 44
Agility 32
Tempo 38

Shadow's gift is a Varnishing Buckskin Blanket (Ee/Aa/Crn/LPlp). The father's hiding at least one Agouti gene, hence Buckskin and not Smoky Black. May end up with some interesting varnish if he inherits it from his father. Body seems pale but I'm pretty sure that's just the Varnish and not another dilution.
Conformation:
Speed 52
Strength 17
Stamina 18
Balance 28
Movement 44
Agility 21
Tempo 26

Midnight is a Varnished Black (EE/aa/LPlp) Not much to expand on over this one; every foal has had at least one black/extension gene which is why I'm assuming EE at this point. Het LP as one parent was Homo LP; he inherited one LP gene as expected. Other parent isn't LP, so LPlp and not LPLP. No immediate Tiger Eyes in the ancestry so it's safe to assume that's not within the current bloodlines.
Conformation:
Speed 33
Strength 23
Stamina 26
Balance 35
Movement 43
Agility 30
Tempo 39
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:17 pm

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:17 pm